Help me to choose my new light ! ;-)

CedricFr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a Juwel Rio 125 aquarium (125 liters) of 80cm long x 35 wide x 50 high. Until now, it worked with 2 juwel led neons (blue and white) and 2 chihiros marine A601m ramps. I hesitate to change the lighting because my wife has more or less accepted that I open the hood (yes everything is in there for the moment). I mainly have soft and lps but also a sps (montipora) which is doing well. The overall objective is to improve the growth, the rendering and possibly to welcome new sps. I don't have a crazy budget so here are the selected not to expensive light.
- ViparSpectra 165w (140 €)
- Nicrew Hyperreef 100w x 2 (200 €)
- Jebao AL-150 (240 €)
- Popbloom RS90 x 2 (230 €)
- Noopsyche-K7 PRO II x 2 (300 €)
- Ledzeal Mirage x200 (200 € + 100 € shipment = 300 €)
The difficulty is that most of the ramps are designed for 60x60x60 so should they be doubled or not?
Will this type of change improve lighting or it is more or less the same things?
Thank you in advance to all those who will take the time to give me feedback
Have a nice week !

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AI Prime HD 16 light is wonderful in my experience. It is 100% customizable in terms of spectrum and scheduling. Also has some wonderful bells and whistles to help simulate authentic light schedules. It should be strong enough for your 125 liter set up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CedricFr

CedricFr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your advice. The coverage area seems a bit small (50cm x 50cm / 20"x20") for my 80cm (31") tank, so i will need to double it and the price in my country is 250€ so 500€ (600$) for 2. That' why i was looking for cheaper brand that have quite good review in this forum.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd keep what you have and save for something you really want. If you currently have no problems then ride it out until you can get the lights that don't require picking the lesser of the evils. Not saying those lights don't work. You just seem like you're not that excited about any of them.

OP
OP
CedricFr

CedricFr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd keep what you have and save for something you really want. If you currently have no problems then ride it out until you can get the lights that don't require picking the lesser of the evils. Not saying those lights don't work. You just seem like you're not that excited about any of them.
In fact, I was quite hesitant because I asked the same question on French forums and the answers were very oriented on it's Chinese so it's crap or it's cheap so it's **** ... But from my point of view, it's a big shortcut. Here the information is more pragmatic or without a priori, what matters is what is measured, the rendering of the aquarium and not how much you have spent. After reading the posts about the lamps mentioned, it confirmed to me that I was determined to change the light. And I think despite the limited budget there are few pretty good things on the list.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't trying to shoot you down. I ran black boxes for the first 6 months or so on my tank. You just didn't seem very excited about your picks. If I came across in a different way or misinterpreted I apologize.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ViparSpectra and I really like them, although I've never owned a light from any of the premium manufacturers to compare it to. They don't have much control though, you can set the brightness on two channels and then you have on and off times for each channel.

Out of the ones on your list I would either go with the viparspectra or the noopsyche. I've never used the noopsyche but overall I've heard good things about them, and with the controller they have more options for ramping up and down.

OP
OP
CedricFr

CedricFr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't trying to shoot you down. I ran black boxes for the first 6 months or so on my tank. You just didn't seem very excited about your picks. If I came across in a different way or misinterpreted I apologize.
No no, i think it's was misunderstanding because my english is to poor. i didn't take badly your advice, I was trying to justify why my question was hesitant when I was rather excited ;-)

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light do you currently have?

Edit: I read post again so nm

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran the 2 black boxes on my 90 for fist 6 months or so as I said. After that I switched to 2 kessil 360we. I know they are not in the price range but they made me recognize the lighting the black boxes were lacking in. The par output of the black boxes can't be denied. However they made everything look washed out and out of focus. Instead of changing lights all together why not just add some LED strips to what you currently have?

OP
OP
CedricFr

CedricFr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ViparSpectra and I really like them, although I've never owned a light from any of the premium manufacturers to compare it to. They don't have much control though, you can set the brightness on two channels and then you have on and off times for each channel.

Out of the ones on your list I would either go with the viparspectra or the noopsyche. I've never uses the noopsyche but overall I've heard good things about them, and with the controller they have more options for ramping up and down.
Noopsyche is quite a outsider for me because in france we don't hear about it. I mostly discover it here (very good review) and now i really consider it (one of my top choices).

What light do you currently have?
i have :
- build-in light system with 2 x 59cm LED tubes,1 white & 1 blue
- I add 2 x Chihiros marine A601M

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
CedricFr

CedricFr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, it's mostly what I did with the Chihiros and now I don't have space anymore.

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salut Cedric, j'ai changé pour les popbloom rs90 ca fait 3 mois ( 4x sur 180cmx60cmx60cm) et je ne suis pas decus. Avant j'avais 3x maxspect razor r420r, et je considere que j'ai upgradé. Les couleurs sont plus vives, mes coraux ont une meilleur croissance et les polyps sont plus long.

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would please I hope the following question may help you make the decision step by step.
1, do you like on/off the light by hands every day?
2, do you want the sunrise, sunset, moon, for your tank?
3, is it acceptable when you consider the safty that the AC power directly to the light. (a metal shell in water enviroment)
4, how to install the light? arm kit or hang way?
5, the light is in cabinet or show together with the tank?
6, the spectrum in PUR, only conside the Max brightness?

For example, when a light size only 29.2 *16cmm and your tank is 80cm. , there is 25cm on each side. it is impossible to no dark or a high homogenous ( optical uniformity) at the bottom of the corner.

OP
OP
CedricFr

CedricFr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salut Cedric, j'ai changé pour les popbloom rs90 ca fait 3 mois ( 4x sur 180cmx60cmx60cm) et je ne suis pas decus. Avant j'avais 3x maxspect razor r420r, et je considere que j'ai upgradé. Les couleurs sont plus vives, mes coraux ont une meilleur croissance et les polyps sont plus long.
Merci pour ta réponse j'ai lu ta review et c'est ça qui a fait que je l'ai listé car il y a peu d'information dessus et encore moins en France. J'ai uniquement peur quel soit trop bleu car c'est ce que j'ai entendu des redsea et j'aime bien le rendu que j'ai avec pas mal de blanc ? De plus très peu d'information sur le spectre en UV qui a l'air plus faible que sur les noopsyche par exemple, alors que ce spectre semble permettre de faire ressortir visuellement les couleurs ?

OP
OP
CedricFr

CedricFr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would please I hope the following question may help you make the decision step by step.
1, do you like on/off the light by hands every day? No. Right now i have a connected switch doing it for me.
2, do you want the sunrise, sunset, moon, for your tank? Yes, i will prefer with it
3, is it acceptable when you consider the safty that the AC power directly to the light. (a metal shell in water enviroment) I Will prefer not and not a lot have it
4, how to install the light? arm kit or hang way? I will prefer arm kit
5, the light is in cabinet or show together with the tank? Before everything was on it and now i consider to have it visible. So the design must not be to bad for my family acceptance. And not to noisy
6, the spectrum in PUR, only conside the Max brightness? i care about having enough for my coral to grow, and a good spectrum to have a good visual aspect

For example, when a light size only 29.2 *16cmm and your tank is 80cm. , there is 25cm on each side. it is impossible to no dark or a high homogenous ( optical uniformity) at the bottom of the corner. That's why i am considering to put two lights. Maybe the popbloom Turing series is more appropriate for the size of my tank and in the same time more affordable that 2xRS90

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like give my suggestion as a friend not a saler, so I will help you make the best decision base on your requirement and feeling.

the vipar can not be satisfied your requiremetn: 1, on/off switch 2, no sunrise/sunset. 3, safty, 4, no armkit
Jibao is corssed out the list, because the homogenouse
Nicrew Hyperreef : 1, key switch, 2 no smart suncycle

The mail different is "red" color. RS90 is focus on PUR and no red color. but higher the 390nm-430 and 470-500nm.

Now, It is time for the Jekyl' suggestion works ( I appreciates his words) , I mean choice the light when you first see " yes I want show it in my home"

I also suggest that warranty should be considered.

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merci pour ta réponse j'ai lu ta review et c'est ça qui a fait que je l'ai listé car il y a peu d'information dessus et encore moins en France. J'ai uniquement peur quel soit trop bleu car c'est ce que j'ai entendu des redsea et j'aime bien le rendu que j'ai avec pas mal de blanc ? De plus très peu d'information sur le spectre en UV qui a l'air plus faible que sur les noopsyche par exemple, alors que ce spectre semble permettre de faire ressortir visuellement les couleurs ?
Please you see, there are 4 channels.( redsea is only 3 channels). we add channel 4 to improve the color of (470-500nm) which also PUR but make the tank looks prefect.

UV(390-410nm ) is desgined to help coral grow,not for watch。when only the UV works, it is very very dark blue.

In RS90 the white : Blue is 1:7 Max. the rate is able to be adjust by the controller.

I also suggest Turing 40+ for you. there is red color.

Last edited:

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turing40+ specturm and PAR

2.参数.jpg 3.PAR.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back