Help me understand recirculating skimmer

bluecheese

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 20, 2020
Messages
664
Reaction score
401
Location
New Orleans, Louisiana
What state or country do you live in
Louisiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Specifically this one:

Reef Octopus

my main question is, does the outflow pump out? I.e. if I placed the skimmer in one sump chamber, but wanted the outflow to pump in a different chamber, could I run a hose from the outflow over a baffle to the other chamber? Or does the water just flow out of the skimmer via gravity?
 
Water flows out by Gravity so the only way to get the outflow into another chamber would be if the baffle that is dividing the sections is lower than the outfeed water line, This is the one with the valve
 
Basically, I’m trying to figure out where to put the l skimmer. I’m thinking of putting it in the fuge, but there isn’t a large volume of water that flows through the fuge. I could increase the flow, but the pipe that runs from the fuge to the return chamber can’t handle too much flow.

The refugium is the chamber to the right.
B317EEA2-5A61-4CF1-AF07-3EE007C970A8.jpeg


This is the pipe that connects the fuge to the return chamber:
041050AD-098A-48F5-BC15-439EE2A148B2.jpeg
 
Looking at this picture of the skimmer in action, the outlet uses a vertical standpipe. I wonder if I can make the pipe higher to go from the refugium to the return chamber from above...

1669923067025.png
 
Problem with setups is that not everything fits the way you want it too. If you had a tradionial H&S or Deltec skimmer you could just plumb the drain to where you want it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new