Help me with this, please!

LearningHow2Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!!
1 week ago I added 2 clownfish into my tank, and today I decided to do a 10% water change and check my parameters.
My salinity is at 1025
Phosphates 0.033
And according to this picture my nitrates seems to be way too much. Its my first time doing this test and I dont know if I did it correctly, but I am worried about this ammount of nitrates
being dangerous for the fishes. I am using the red sea nitrate pro test kit. Thank you for your time!

20200221_124258.jpg
20200221_124243.jpg

OP
OP
LearningHow2Reef

LearningHow2Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that says 4-5ppm for a nitrate you are quite fine. For fish only, Nitrates can be up to 40 and be safe. For Coral, want to keep them closer to 10-20 range
Many people keep 50-100 nitrates and corals are fine. Fish couldn’t care more. It’s sort of old thinking that nitrates must be close to zero.

Oh, what? I tought the right amount of it was 0.2 ppm aproximately. I really find quite hard matching these colors. I dont know if those in the pictures are matching. The first picture is comparing colors to match 2 ppm and the second one is 4 ppm. Isnt it darker?

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, what? I tought the right amount of it was 0.2 ppm aproximately. I really find quite hard matching these colors. I dont know if those in the pictures are matching. The first picture is comparing colors to match 2 ppm and the second one is 4 ppm. Isnt it darker?
On the instructions, I believe it should tell you to check the color within a few minutes after the waiting period. Otherwise the color may continue to change and give you a bad reading. I would use the first color measurement you did

OP
OP
LearningHow2Reef

LearningHow2Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the instructions, I believe it should tell you to check the color within a few minutes after the waiting period. Otherwise the color may continue to change and give you a bad reading. I would use the first color measurement you did

Oh! So you would say It is 2 ppm? I tought the colors werent matching but any color does for me haha
Also, 0.2 is very low Nitrates. Were you thinking of a different test maybe?

I dont know, I think it is something i read on the internet, but seems like I was completely wrong! Thank you so much for your time! I was so worried haha!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I keep 50 no3. When I say old school thinking, some think 5-10 is ideal - and perhaps it is. But many people keep really high nitrates with no problems. @najer keeps high nitrates and has a beautiful tank. Props to him.

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For fish you are absolutely fine. Some corals love higher nitrates and some want lower. It depends on what you are keeping.

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are typically between 50 and 80 and all my corals are growing and looking good. It's hard to do with bangaii babies who miss a lot of food in the water during feedings and a giant blonde naso who poop 52 times a freaking day. And by that I mean solid 3" logs that he likes to in particularly lay right in front of the power head and then swim through em while all the other fish eat em. as long as animals are happy, I wouldnt worry too much. Just keep up with water changes regularly and all will be well

OP
OP
LearningHow2Reef

LearningHow2Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are typically between 50 and 80 and all my corals are growing and looking good. It's hard to do with bangaii babies who miss a lot of food in the water during feedings and a giant blonde naso who poop 52 times a freaking day. And by that I mean solid 3" logs that he likes to in particularly lay right in front of the power head and then swim through em while all the other fish eat em. as long as animals are happy, I wouldnt worry too much. Just keep up with water changes regularly and all will be well
Alright!! Thank you so much por your answer!
Btw, I dindnt know naso, looked for it and I think it gorgeous!!

OP
OP
LearningHow2Reef

LearningHow2Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of the big guy with his smaller pals, hawaiin naso and powder blue hes about 8", powder blues about 4" and hawaiin naso is about 2.5" and growing fast
20200215_123231.jpg
Oh my god! They look asbsolutely stunning! Congratulations!

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I appreciate it. They eat 2 whole algae sheets a day that measure approximately 4" by 6". The tank also gets about 4 cubes of mysis/ mega marine a day. I feed heavy, but as long as I keep up with water changes, all is well

OP
OP
LearningHow2Reef

LearningHow2Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I appreciate it. They eat 2 whole algae sheets a day that measure approximately 4" by 6". The tank also gets about 4 cubes of mysis/ mega marine a day. I feed heavy, but as long as I keep up with water changes, all is well
WoW! How big is that tank?

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about starting a build thread soon for it because I still got all the pics from when I put it all together. Literally sanded the whole stand and canopy by hand down with 6 different grades of sandpaper, stained with 4 coats and then 5 coats of sparurethane. Went through a tank crash with a bad cycle and brown jelly, and have been recovering and thriving since

OP
OP
LearningHow2Reef

LearningHow2Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about starting a build thread soon for it because I still got all the pics from when I put it all together. Literally sanded the whole stand and canopy by hand down with 6 different grades of sandpaper, stained with 4 coats and then 5 coats of sparurethane. Went through a tank crash with a bad cycle and brown jelly, and have been recovering and thriving since
Nice! I would definetely see it!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back