Help me wrap up my stocking list

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any specific care requirements for Cirrhilabrus naokoae? I am planning on getting a lid for the tank before adding more fish, btw.
Yes get a lid asap. One of your yellows could end up becoming fish jerky if the other one chases it out.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@i cant think is correct. Halichoeres sp. females in the wild want to become male in order to carry on their genes, but the social hierarchy of their harem dictates when she can transition to an initial-phase male and then onto a terminal-phase male. We cannot replicate the social hierarchy of halichoeres sp. harems in home aquaria so nature will eventually take its course and the female will transition to a male, it's just a matter of time.
I had heard this before - Thanks for reminding me:). I was under the impression that it was not absolute - but likely. That - a male changes only when a female is not available. But - I've read inconsistent comments depending on the type of the fish - as well as the age when the fish are put together.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had heard this before - Thanks for reminding me:). I was under the impression that it was not absolute - but likely. That - a male changes only when a female is not available. But - I've read inconsistent comments depending on the type of the fish - as well as the age when the fish are put together.
There’s truth in that bc some genera are less likely to transition than others. Anampses, Pseudojuloides, and Macropharyngodon are less likely to transition without another female present. There are a few species of Anampses and Macropharyngodon that tend to transition in captivity more often than others of their genus. Cirrhilabrus, Paracheilinus, and Halichoeres will transition without another female present.

OP
OP
L

Landon K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypothetical question - What if you were to add a harem of juvi H. Chrysus into a large 200+ gallon display?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypothetical question - What if you were to add a harem of juvi H. Chrysus into a large 200+ gallon display?
It’s still risky. You’d need a bigger tank than that to pull it off long-term.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back