OP
T

tstag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given my nitrates are low to non existent I’m wondering if avoid another water change but switch on the carbon reactor to try and get rid of any pollutants. Or do I do a 50% water change which will hit nitrate recover even harder, wait for nitrate levels to come up and the phase the carbon reactor back in?

I hasten to add the algae is going mad and the corals may be looking a little bit better

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me it was the acclimation, 30 minutes is quite fast, best to drip them over an hour or better 1.5h,then check temp is correct, you need to make sure the shop water is near enough fully replaced with your tank water over a long period before adding to the tank? Just adding a little tank water to the bag a few times over 30 minutes is not going to get the salinity, ph and alk to match your tank, inverts need a slow acclimation,!fish are not as delicate.
No evidence of a pollutant killing the cuc.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
copper?
is the algae actually brown stringy bubbly dinos?

Shmollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it could be the fact I washed the filter socks with a capful of bleach. I put them in at a high temp and tried to wash it out over a couple of cycles. It’s really the only pollutant I can think got in. I feel like I’m clutching at straws with it....
I’ve been doing that for three years so far so hopefully it’s not the bleach! Hahaha

Shmollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given my nitrates are low to non existent I’m wondering if avoid another water change but switch on the carbon reactor to try and get rid of any pollutants. Or do I do a 50% water change which will hit nitrate recover even harder, wait for nitrate levels to come up and the phase the carbon reactor back in?

I hasten to add the algae is going mad and the corals may be looking a little bit better
What’s your pH and what kit do you have for that? Sorry if you already answered I didn’t see it lol.

Shmollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched shrimp instant die in a friends tank....tons of testing then found he was at like 7.3-7.5 pH most of the time. Coral and fish were mostly ok (some coral losses for no reason over time) but she could never have shrimp or snails until we fixed her pH.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using RoDi? Didn't see it asked yet. If using tap water copper may be building in your system.

OP
OP
T

tstag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me it was the acclimation, 30 minutes is quite fast, best to drip them over an hour or better 1.5h,then check temp is correct, you need to make sure the shop water is near enough fully replaced with your tank water over a long period before adding to the tank? Just adding a little tank water to the bag a few times over 30 minutes is not going to get the salinity, ph and alk to match your tank, inverts need a slow acclimation,!fish are not as delicate.
No evidence of a pollutant killing the cuc.
That doesn’t explain why the snails that were already in there died.

Wrigley&Ivy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lend more towards acclimation too. I aire on the side of caution with inverts and drip acclimate at a steady one drop per second flow for up to 3 hours to give them the best chance to become accustomed to my tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Filter socks require no bleach or soap. I simply place in washer on warm cycle and wash in warm water Only and clean as a whistle.
Tank age does not help as there will be little food source for them.
Zero readings tell me that you are likely using API test kits which are notorious for false readings and your levels are likely higher without your knowledge. In this instance, take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use API test kits and have them test for you to see what readings they come up with.
Acclimation for snails is VERY important. How did you acclimate/introduce them to the tank and for how long before releasing them?

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My socks soak in a bleach solution after removed until washing time. Then get double hot extra rinsed with a half cup of vinegar. I doubt that’s it. I also float and plop everything I get and have never had an acclimation loss except for 1 fish I dripped. I know that isn’t the norm, but that’s what my experience has been. I get things in the tank ASAP. Not saying to do that, but that’s what works for me. I’d bet your salinity is off. I bet you’re hypo, but that is a bit of a WAG.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide a picture of your entire setup? Will help to tie in all info given.

OP
OP
T

tstag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so the plot thickens. I went to pull the dead snails out and found they are alive, just not moving much. Now I’m completely confused

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back