Help my mandarin looks bloated?

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
I didn’t notice this yesterday. So it has to have happened last night or sometime while I was at work
Here are a few photos
And a short video
9044A765-19BF-424C-882E-69F0C9B58BCC.jpeg
3358B829-1D01-4B23-AEEF-2D269BAFB4D1.jpeg
86325199-96BA-4B55-AC8F-8EBE69257BF9.jpeg
A08FB2FE-8D67-48DA-8FD2-13D3DD328B69.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She seems to be breathing normal but I’m freaking out. I’ve had her since I started. So about a year and I just got her a mate.
She has doubled if not tripled in size since I got her. But this bloating is new

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She seems to be breathing normal but I’m freaking out. I’ve had her since I started. So about a year and I just got her a mate.
She has doubled if not tripled in size since I got her. But this bloating is new
It looks in really good shape otherwise (I see a lot of sick mandarins!) . There are three common reasons for abdominal bloating:

1) overeating/constipation (never seen a mandarin do that).
2) Ascites (fluid build up due to liver or kidney failure). Should have other symptoms.
3) Unreleased eggs

I think it is unreleased eggs. The courting male of some species is required for a female to release her eggs. I think mandarins are one of those species. She may be able to release them on her own in time, but I've lost fish to this issue.

Jay

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what could be wrong, but if you got her a mate is it possible that she’s gravid? Mandarins readily breed in captivity, so that could be a possibility if she isn’t showing any other symptoms or signs of stress.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks in really good shape otherwise (I see a lot of sick mandarins!) . There are three common reasons for abdominal bloating:

1) overeating/constipation (never seen a mandarin do that).
2) Ascites (fluid build up due to liver or kidney failure). Should have other symptoms.
3) Unreleased eggs

I think it is unreleased eggs. The courting male of some species is required for a female to release her eggs. I think mandarins are one of those species. She may be able to release them on her own in time, but I've lost fish to this issue.

Jay
Ok I have seen them dancing every night. I haven’t seen her release anything. I’ll keep an eye on her. I love that little fish.

I’m guessing there is nothing I can do for her? Except hope she can release the eggs?
I am guess there is probably nothing I can do for constipation either?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
how many days since the male was added?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have seen them dancing every night. I haven’t seen her release anything. I’ll keep an eye on her. I love that little fish.

I’m guessing there is nothing I can do for her? Except hope she can release the eggs?
I am guess there is probably nothing I can do for constipation either?
On larger fish, we've tried injecting them with oxytocin to get them to release the eggs - it works about half the time. I've never heard of a fish that small being injected though. I didn't realize you had a male - he may be able to incite her to release the eggs (if indeed that's what it is).

Jay

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definately preggo. GL with the spawn!
Well I know how mandarins reproduce. Male and female release egg and sperm into the water column so unless I want to catch the happy couple put them in their own tank all they are doing is making coral food and shrimp food. If they do start doing this often I may consider figuring out how to raise the fry but I’m sure it is extremely difficult

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Jay Hemdal , is this possible 11 days,the male being added?
would mandy produce eggs without male present?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Mandy once held eggs for 15 days before the male enticed her to release. Scared the crap out of me, as I have had mine for quite a few years. Think them moving tanks messed up the mojo that time.

Hoping for the best with yours.

Here are mine, mid dance. Hard to tell, but the female has a pot belly and this time it was 7 days before he was able to turn on his mojo and get her to release
EFE2AF35-833B-4422-B326-93958B8E77C3.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Mandy once held eggs for 15 days before the male enticed her to release. Scared the crap out of me, as I have had mine for quite a few years. Think them moving tanks messed up the mojo that time.

Here are mine, mid dance. Hard to tell, but the female has a pot belly and this time it was 7 days before he was able to turn on his mojo and get her to release
Ok so just another thing to watch wait cross my fingers . It’s either the fish or the corals stressing me out or the dogs or the cats.

lol

thank you.
Good to know!
I watch and wait and let y’all know if she ever loses her gut

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They are the best fishies ever!

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So yours looked like mine? Supper fat? Like she sucked down amphipods for a few hours?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back