Help my montipora!

theasherrr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a seasons greetings montipora that I think is dying. I’ve moved positions twice. Once it was in direct light and then it was towards bottom mid of tank with indirect light. Unfortunately I don’t have a par meter to measure light.
Is there anything I can do for it to get its color back or is it a lost cause?

27AEF442-9776-4350-A4A8-DBDF8FC4EB3D.jpeg 46F63DEF-ADB6-41BB-876D-F725F4ABC09D.jpeg

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife says that I am usually wrong, but this one looks rather inanimate.
Even then, it did happen to me ( quite recently) that my bleached Monti recovered, so wait a bit.
Mind that there might be other causes as too much light. What about water params?

OP
OP
theasherrr

theasherrr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All water tests came back within range and have been stable since it cycled. My BTA just split into two and has recovered and looks great. Nothing else is looks like it’s stressed or dying, only this. It happened basically the next day after being brought home which was about three weeks ago.

how long would you wait?

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All water tests came back within range and have been stable since it cycled. My BTA just split into two and has recovered and looks great. Nothing else is looks like it’s stressed or dying, only this. It happened basically the next day after being brought home which was about three weeks ago.

how long would you wait?
If it was bleached by strong light, then I would wait another week or two, otherwise toss it away if you see algae growth all over it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a seasons greetings montipora that I think is dying. I’ve moved positions twice. Once it was in direct light and then it was towards bottom mid of tank with indirect light. Unfortunately I don’t have a par meter to measure light.
Is there anything I can do for it to get its color back or is it a lost cause?

27AEF442-9776-4350-A4A8-DBDF8FC4EB3D.jpeg 46F63DEF-ADB6-41BB-876D-F725F4ABC09D.jpeg
If it’s bleached but you can see polyps on it still, don’t lose hope. I’ve had monti and other SPS bounce back from what looked like a white coral with just a couple polyps.
I’m also attempting to get a Tenuis to grow back from simply 1 polyp and so far he’s up to 2 polyps so hope is there is even just a bit of the coral seems alive whether thats 1 singular polyp with just a bit of zooxanthellae in the skeleton or a group of polyps with almost no zooxanthellae left.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above. My sole piece of SPS is a small Montipora frag. I had two but one died and the other lost almost all of its colour. I kept it on the off chance and over several weeks it is now back to about 90% of its former glory.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 114 77.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back