HELP MY OCTO SPAWN DOES NOT LOOK GOOD HELLLLLPPPPPP!!!

OP
OP
Damian reef boi

Damian reef boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A whole tank picture might help us get a better idea.
I still need to add more rock to the other part of the tank
But basically that's where everything is

15799337436551598249378639411466.jpg

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Damian

You’re doing great. We all have issues especially at the beginning.

Since you are going to your LFS to get a refractometer get a huge amount of saltwater and some RO if you don’t have any. Plus a bag of salt if you don’t have any of that. TEST the saltwater from the LFS! Theirs can be off. Adjust salinity if needed. Do as large a water change as possible. A small water change will not help.

This will kind of hit a reset button. Remember, the absolute most important thing in your tank is the water!

After the water change take things slowly. I suggest you do a build thread on here and ask for basic advise along the way. You have so few fish and corals you shouldn’t have any problems learning how to test and keep the parameters stable. Once that happens add things slowly. Much easier to keep things stable with small changes (I need to remember that advise for myself frequently)

Also, get opinions on here about equipment, tests, etc. This will save you a lot of money in the long run. Your LFS has no incentive to give you good advise. They just want to sell you things. And if those things don’t work out they’ll be happy to sell you more!

I saw my first saltwater tank outside of an aquarium at age 17 and fell in love. I waited until 56 to get one! Good for you for jumping in and doing it!

OP
OP
Damian reef boi

Damian reef boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Damian

You’re doing great. We all have issues especially at the beginning.

Since you are going to your LFS to get a refractometer get a huge amount of saltwater and some RO if you don’t have any. Plus a bag of salt if you don’t have any of that. TEST the saltwater from the LFS! Theirs can be off. Adjust salinity if needed. Do as large a water change as possible. A small water change will not help.

This will kind of hit a reset button. Remember, the absolute most important thing in your tank is the water!

After the water change take things slowly. I suggest you do a build thread on here and ask for basic advise along the way. You have so few fish and corals you shouldn’t have any problems learning how to test and keep the parameters stable. Once that happens add things slowly. Much easier to keep things stable with small changes (I need to remember that advise for myself frequently)

Also, get opinions on here about equipment, tests, etc. This will save you a lot of money in the long run. Your LFS has no incentive to give you good advise. They just want to sell you things. And if those things don’t work out they’ll be happy to sell you more!

I saw my first saltwater tank outside of an aquarium at age 17 and fell in love. I waited until 56 to get one! Good for you for jumping in and doing it!
Thank you very much :)

OP
OP
Damian reef boi

Damian reef boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are good I bought the refractometer
And also my phosphates were a bit too high so I'm putting phosphate E from bright well aquatics

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in a similar position to you. I have a 1 year old reef and I’m 14. Because of this, I’m also on a pretty tight budget. The best advice I can give you is to take it slow and make sure that you don’t do anything that could cause problems. When you see anything go wrong, always test. When you add anything or take anything out (i.e. water changes). With that said, your params are off. Alk is way too high and salinity is quite low. I would lower alk to around 8 and slowly raise salinity to about .35. Water changes are your friend. Try to drop the alk pretty quick, but go a little slower when raising the salinity. Just be sure to test all water before adding it in water changes.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are good I bought the refractometer
And also my phosphates were a bit too high so I'm putting phosphate E from bright well aquatics
FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS on this! Do not overdose this because it will cause a lot bigger problems if you do. Its probably best to slowly add the dose over the course of a day.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back