Help my Powder Blue Tang

cmiller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a PBT and I know they’re prone to ick but I don’t think it’s ick. I’ve been dosing poly reef medic. I did a 5 minute freshwater dip and it wasn’t flukes.

IMG_9077.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a PBT and I know they’re prone to ick but I don’t think it’s ick. I’ve been dosing poly reef medic. I did a 5 minute freshwater dip and it wasn’t flukes.

IMG_9077.jpeg
This fish is very susceptible to what it has which is mucus cones mixed with ich and will have to be treated in a separate quarantine tank and treated with coppersafe at 2.25 treatment level which will be monitored preferably with a Hanna brand copper test kit
You will notice other occupants don’t have this as this is often confined to given fish but keep an eye on them for any signs although treating others will reduce the risk

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_9077.jpeg

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Looking for flukes after a FW dip only works for one type (Neobenedenia) - other flukes are too small to see in the dip water unless you have a microscope.
I see what I think are mucus plugs. These can be from any irritant, including ich (which, as explained, this species is very well known for) or it could just be from some minor irritant. The black spots further back on the fish could be from Gryodactylus skin flukes, which you would likely miss in the dip water check.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will fixIck also work because I have a new bottle of that?
Copper in a seperate tank or hyposalinity are the best methods available. Both treatments can be found in the stickies in the disease forum. For copper make sure to have an accurate test like hanna.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will fixIck also work because I have a new bottle of that?

I wouldn't choose that over the Polyp Lab Medic. Fixick is gentian violet, one of the dyes, like malachite green. It isn't particularly effective and is not safe for use with invertebrates.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cmiller

cmiller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys very much I will try to get some copper power I have an annularis angel with a problem should I start a new post or just add it into this.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys very much I will try to get some copper power I have an annularis angel with a problem should I start a new post or just add it into this.
If it’s in the same tank, I would just post a video and pictures to this thread.

Upvote 0

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 83 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.4%
Back