HELP! NEED ADVICE: My new aquarium won't sit flat on the stand!

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Long story short:

I bought a brand new IM 15 AIO Cube aquarium from Saltwateraquarium.com. I custom built a stand for it and when I set the tank on the stand, one of the corners sticks up and does not sit flat on the stand. So...I contacted their customer service and asked for help. They said to buy the IM leveling mat and that would solve the problem. Well, the mat arrived today, I cut it to size, peeled the sticker off, stuck it to the top of my stand, put the tank on it and I STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!

The tank is clearly not sitting level even with the added leveling mat. Should I be worried?

I also contacted IM directly to ask for their advice (I included pics with the email) and they replied back saying it will be fine. They didn't even recommend needing a leveling mat for the issue. I don't know what to do. In the 26 years that I've been keeping aquariums I've always understood that all 4 tank corners need to sit flat to stabilize the tank seams. Is that not the case with a rimless aquarium?

IMG_7383.jpeg
IMG_7382.jpeg

OP
OP
j.falk

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It has got to be the stand, right?
Definitely the stand. I leveled the stand first, then cut and installed the mat on top of the stand per their recommendation and then added the tank and still have the problem.

OP
OP
j.falk

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Your stands not level on top. That will definitely cause a leak over time. Fix the stand before you fill the tank
How would you suggest fixing the stand? It's completely put together, primered, painted and sealed. There's no taking it apart at this point.

OP
OP
j.falk

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The stand in question...

Attachments

• IMG_7384.jpeg
    IMG_7384.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7385.jpeg
    IMG_7385.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 42

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you suggest fixing the stand? It's completely put together, primered, painted and sealed. There's no taking it apart at this point.
You could sand down the top until it's level... Did you build it or did someone else?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut another board the exact size of the stand and place on top.. set the tank on it “it will be nice and flat” and shim the wood on top of the stand if you’re not gonna sleep at night over it..

OP
OP
j.falk

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How do I get the leveling mat back off? It's like a giant sticker stuck to the top.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I get the leveling mat back off? It's like a giant sticker stuck to the top?
Heat gun would be your best friend.. can’t promise you won’t destroy it or leave a glue residue thou.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He can.. didn’t know if he wanted to try have that cushion between the tank and stand or not.
Probably the easiest thing to do since it was adhered to the stand and not the tank...
And pretty much any foam will work, no need to re-purchase one from IM (get a cheap yoga mat and cut to size), ESPECIALLY since the tank is only 15 gallons... I honestly don't think the small gap will make any difference on that size tank.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A piece of 1/4 or 1/2 inch insulating foam board cut to the exact size of the tank will work. You can dress up the edge later with matching wood. I did a similar thing to extend the top of the shelf I have my 14g sitting on.

112572AB-1A9D-4597-A29E-63AC35B45195.jpeg

OP
OP
j.falk

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The mat is intended to stick to the aquarium, not the stand...
I must have read the item description page wrong.

The Innovative Marine DIY Self-Leveling Mat provides you with an ultra-thick gray rubber mat made of the highest grade materials that can quickly be adhered atop a stand or to the bottom of an aquarium. Absorbing and evenly distributing weight, creating a level surface.

Screen Shot 2023-04-15 at 12.22.43 PM.png

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand is the issue. It looks like you have to raise one of the corners up.

here’s a useful video

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back