Matt13H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just bought a Red Sea Reefer XL525 (108gal). I’ve got a sump with a reefmat 500 (not set up yet, waiting until I’m ready to stock tank)
Red Sea Skimmer 300, some filter media and a heater and an octopus Varios 6 return pump. All pipe work was supplied with the tank.
I’m struggling with the sump and weir tbh. The weir box is set (left to right) sump return outlet, emergency drainage pipe, down pipe with Red Sea quiet ad and another sump return.
I’ve filled the tank with RO water, sand and dry reef rock (planning on adding bacteria boost) with a Red Sea reef wave 40 - ready to add salt and mix.
Now the tank and sump are filled, I’ve started the return pump on low setting, my sump last chamber is emptying leaving my return pump drying and tank filling and my emergency down flow emptying the tank.

Am I right in thinking… It seems that the down flow with the valve fully open can’t keep up with my return pump?
Is my return to strong for my system? Octopus Varios 6?

What am I doing wrong, please help!?!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your new Red Sea! Yes, the problem is with the water balance between the return pump and the overflow. Here's what I always suggest:

1. Determine at what rate you want your pump to run and set it at that. Don't worry about your RO for the time being.
2. Open your gate valve all the way (your pump will gurgle - ignore it), then start slowly closing it in 1/8"-1/4" increments - waiting about 30-45 seconds between adjustments.
3. When the water level in your overflow reaches the edge of the emergency overflow pipe (not the main overflow pipe) - stop making adjustments.

Wait about 5 minutes and adjust ± the gate valve open or closed as need be. Then top up the water in your sump so that you reach the desired level in your return chamber - then set the RO float to that level. Then connect/fill your RO reservoir. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Matt13H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for replying, I’ve been sat pulling my hair out. I haven’t set the top up and reserve reservoir yet. I was going to wait until I had the levels in the sump where I wanted them.

The return pump seems to be emptying the last sump chamber and my down flow can’t keep up. I’ve had the valve fully open and if I’m honest it doesn’t seem like I’m getting a good rate coming from the main tank down the down flow and through the gate.

On paper my return pump should be good for my system, it’s max turn over is 6500 lph, I have it on the lowest setting but my downpipe can’t keep up.
Any advice would be super helpful! Thanks again :)
Matt

Upvote 0
Back