help on sump and over flows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Zohar78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I'm planning the build on an oceanic 130gallon tank. I plan on eventually doing triton, but may take about 3 to 4 months before fully switchover to it once the tank is initially up. With that thought in mind I was thinking of going the trigger systems triton 44 sump. one of the specs for triton, it says 10x turnover in sump. Well the tank 2 overflows, each with 1 1" drain, and 1 3/4" return for 2 of each total. The 1" drains supposedly handle 600 gallons apiece gravity fed for a total of 1200. that would technically put me at 9.1x for turnover. I'm thinking tuning/head loss etc, I woiuld be around 8 to 8.5x turnover. is that close enough?

also whats the big difference between regular triton method and triton other method. because I have a chance of thinking about getting the trigger systems emerald/sapphire 39inch sump for $200 cheaper than the 44triton.

Tim2@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I'm planning the build on an oceanic 130gallon tank. I plan on eventually doing triton, but may take about 3 to 4 months before fully switchover to it once the tank is initially up. With that thought in mind I was thinking of going the trigger systems triton 44 sump. one of the specs for triton, it says 10x turnover in sump. Well the tank 2 overflows, each with 1 1" drain, and 1 3/4" return for 2 of each total. The 1" drains supposedly handle 600 gallons apiece gravity fed for a total of 1200. that would technically put me at 9.1x for turnover. I'm thinking tuning/head loss etc, I woiuld be around 8 to 8.5x turnover. is that close enough?

also whats the big difference between regular triton method and triton other method. because I have a chance of thinking about getting the trigger systems emerald/sapphire 39inch sump for $200 cheaper than the 44triton.

The 10x turnover is a guideline but not a commandment, your tank will be fine. "Triton Method" refers to nutrient control among other things. Most notably having a very large refugium with a volume of 10%-20% of the display tank's volume and strong lighting. "Other Methods" are tanks using any other method for controlling nutrients. Running a refugium smaller than 10% of the display tank's volume would also catagorize you as "Other Methods" the distinction is to determine what formula of C7 you should use, as C7 Base Elements (for the Triton Method) has a higher trace elements ratio to reflect the amount of algae in the larger refugium.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back