Help- Palytoxin Poisoning. Just happened to me

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No im fine. Eyes burning with small discharge but not nearly as bad before.
Wildest thing I've ever had happen to me. Taste is still kind of weird and metalish like they say. I did call Poston control and they were puzzled as this doesn't happen in PA very much lol. They advise different it gets worse to come in or obviously any issues breathing call 911.
Unfortunately palytoxin poisoning is so far and few between most places don’t know how to deal with it or what it even is.

Just watch your health and if things deteriorate in any matter get yourself to emergency room. You SHOULD be fine at this point, if it’s going to be a bad case you’d usually know by now.

Don’t be scared of your tank, just wash your hands if they ever go in the tank, don’t directly touch the Paly’s or bring them out of the tank without protective equipment. If you have any cuts or open wounds on your hands don’t put them in without gloves. Definitely don’t touch your face without thoroughly washing them.

As someone mentioned your LFS might offer to remove them!

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I apologise for my rashness, it’s just important to know basics of what’s going in the tank.

How are you feeling now? Any respiratory distress? That’s what we need to look out for
I’m simply shocked that the internet is this cordial. Cheers to everyone on this thread, love it. To our friend who got reef-poisoned, double get well soon.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just reread your post. with the visual issues I go get my eye looked at, you may have a corneal abrasion or burn and it needs vigorous irrigation and eval..
Dont wait that’s a good way to need a corneal transplant.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the same in my tank. I respect them. I wear gloves, safety glasses, and a mask when I do anything around those guys. I wash thoroughly with soap and COLD water afterwards. That is probably an old rock if I had to guess.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just reread your post. with the visual issues I go get my eye looked at, you may have a corneal abrasion or burn and it needs vigorous irrigation and eval..
Dont wait that’s a good way to need a corneal transplant.
A reefer from my local club had some pretty serious eye issues from her greenbay packers zoa colony. Was interesting enough that the opthalmologist published on her case: https://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/517350

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reefer from my local club had some pretty serious eye issues from her greenbay packers zoa colony. Was interesting enough that the opthalmologist published on her case: https://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/517350
I can't believe that was the photo of the zoas that they used in the paper. All the polyps are closed up! Nice to know to stay away from GBP's. No worries about those Scrambled Eggs tho - I hacked them up real good while yanking them off a rock with tweezers. I'm fine.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe that was the photo of the zoas that they used in the paper. All the polyps are closed up! Nice to know to stay away from GBP's. No worries about those Scrambled Eggs tho - I hacked them up real good while yanking them off a rock with tweezers. I'm fine.
My policy it to treat them all like they are palythoa and just play it safe. I'm fairly sure those utter chaos have ptx.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side to this issue can anyone confirm that these are Grandis and if so if they have the toxin ?

Attachments

• C7E3125A-3B9A-49B9-8844-FD4DCA0D9DDE.jpeg
    C7E3125A-3B9A-49B9-8844-FD4DCA0D9DDE.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 40

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one piece of live rock has these zoanthind corals polyps all over it. I was scrubbing this piece of algae off this morning and pulled a piece of the coral off and tried to separate it out of the tank. An hour later im eating pizza and it tastes sour. I thought the hot sauce I on it was bad and then my left eye starts to burn and has been fire red burning all day and watering.

Palytoxin exposure. Yes I'm dumb@$$ and lucky. My eyes are swollen now and a slight fever and everything tastes like sour metal but I'm okay. It's been 8 hours and I do feel better. Recommendations at this point? I think I may just take a plastic bag and reach in and pull the rock out and close the bag. Needless to say I'm now terrified to even touch the water
20220727_191729.jpg
20220727_191733.jpg
After reading that article I have to agree with others who are advising you to go get checked out - especially since your eyes were affected. Better to play it safe for sure.
Your tank is beautiful btw. Sending good vibes your way!

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow
had these for years, never had an issue…
Gulps

Then again I’m pretty good about washing my hands.
It's never an issue until it's an issue. Most people never have an issue. Some people have small issues. Other people have insane issues. A guy on here a few months ago left some old frag plugs covered in green palys out in the yard to decay in the Alabama sun, for a month or so at 90 degrees. He figured they were fine. He put the plugs in a bucket of water with a pump. His whole family ended up in the ER and his cat or dog or whatever nearly died. Or maybe the pet died. I forget. Bottom line, it was bad times.

I'm totally down for keeping zoas and palys. I have a dedicated zoa tank in a room that my kid never goes in. My wife knows what to look for when it comes to ptx symptoms. I have over 30 strains and I'm quite sure some of them are toxic. I'm not sure which ones. There is nothing wrong with keeping them, if you treat a poisonous coral like a reptile keeper would treat a venomous snake. With respect and care.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you frag them? From one plug to another?

I frag polyps that are sort of growing off of the edge of the colony, and separate them from the colony under water. I attach them to the plugs right at the water surface, pointing the face of the polyp (which can squirt!) down into the water.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 41.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%

Back