HELP please long tentacle anemone

ghostmantank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy was good for a bit but has no reset in over two weeks I thought he was about to reset in this area but now he looks like this. Please someone help give some advice on what to do.

image.jpg

Galasss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been in the tank? What are the water parameters and light schedule, I checked your build thread and from what I could gather you just set this tank up? Anemones are sensitive to water parameter swings, if your tank is new it’s likely your parameters aren’t the best which is one possible explanation as to why the nem isn’t happy.

OP
OP
ghostmantank

ghostmantank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been in the tank? What are the water parameters and light schedule, I checked your build thread and from what I could gather you just set this tank up? Anemones are sensitive to water parameter swings, if your tank is new it’s likely your parameters aren’t the best which is one possible explanation as to why the nem isn’t happy.
So the tank has been up for a 3 months almost 4 now. I do water changes every week. This nem has been in the tank for just over a month he was the last thing to be added. I have all parameters in what I think is good range and haven't had any swings on anything. My current parameters as of this morning are:

Temp: 77.5 F
Salinity: 1.024
Nitrate: 4.25 PPM
Calcium: 393ppm
Alkalinity: 7.8 dKH
Phosphate: 0.03 ppm

For lighting I have the AI Prime Reef light and I am running blues and UV at about 95% greens and reds at 5% and clear white at about 30% for 8 hours then a 2 hour ramp down

F2673204-464F-4AD3-A042-7DA12086292F.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ghostmantank

ghostmantank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have substrate in the tank? LTA's like to bury their foot in the sand/gravel, not hang onto rocks like BTA
Yeah he was in the sand for a while but then started moving towards the rock and ended up where he is in the picture I don't want to touch him unless I have to should I try to bury him?

Galasss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so parameter swings are likely not the cause. Any large colonies of softies? They release compounds in water that may be irritating it, also is the lta just closed up or look bad? (Tissue melting, gapping mouth not attached to anything/damaged foot)

OP
OP
ghostmantank

ghostmantank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so parameter swings are likely not the cause. Any large colonies of softies? They release compounds in water that may be irritating it, also is the lta just closed up or look bad? (Tissue melting, gapping mouth not attached to anything/damaged foot)
The is one medium hammer down in the sand bed but that it really. The LTA just seems to be about the smallest it can be and there is some white tissue coming from its foot. What do you mean by adding carbon I have never done that can you give some tips on how to do that?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The is one medium hammer down in the sand bed but that it really. The LTA just seems to be about the smallest it can be and there is some white tissue coming from its foot. What do you mean by adding carbon I have never done that can you give some tips on how to do that?
White tissue coming from foot could be its messentrial filaments coming from a tear, unfortunately if a lta gets a foot tear it usually cannot recover - do you have a filter you can add chemipure blue to?

OP
OP
ghostmantank

ghostmantank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White tissue coming from foot could be its messentrial filaments coming from a tear, unfortunately if a lta gets a foot tear it usually cannot recover - do you have a filter you can add chemipure blue to?
Yeah I just went on amazon and over nighted chemipure blue I will get that in as soon as it gets here tomorrow. I don't think he has a tear because he hasn't been touched at all he released from where he was on his own and I just used the feeder stick I have to roll him a little and I don't see any tears also the white tissue floated away when I did that and now the foot looks normal. So I gently rolled him back to the spot that he was in before and dug out a hole there for him lets see if that works

Galasss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what you said, the most likely problem is that the nem is damaged, hopefully not. Having a packet of carbon in the filtration section helps bind the organics in tank which could be possibly irritating the nem, also if the nem is dissolving the carbon will help keep the water clean and not kill everything else. Hopefully it’s not that serious!

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I just went on amazon and over nighted chemipure blue I will get that in as soon as it gets here tomorrow. I don't think he has a tear because he hasn't been touched at all he released from where he was on his own and I just used the feeder stick I have to roll him a little and I don't see any tears also the white tissue floated away when I did that and now the foot looks normal. So I gently rolled him back to the spot that he was in before and dug out a hole there for him lets see if that works
Keep an eye on the nem , may need a cipro treatment - I just dosed my entire tank with cipro for a week and I’m seeing only benefits / my nems are recovering

OP
OP
ghostmantank

ghostmantank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what you said, the most likely problem is that the nem is damaged, hopefully not. Having a packet of carbon in the filtration section helps bind the organics in tank which could be possibly irritating the nem, also if the nem is dissolving the carbon will help keep the water clean and not kill everything else. Hopefully it’s not that serious!
Lets hope I have 3 anemones in the tank I have a rockflower a carpet and this LTA and the LTA is or was the best looking one so I hope it bounces back.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Now I did not follow this method completely as I dosed to my entire display as I have a couple of anemones that are struggling

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well woke up this morning and the poor little LTA was done he didn't make it through the night
Happens man , don’t let it get ya down just keep stable parameters for a month or two and try again. Wild caught anemones go through alot and often don’t make it , I would say try an anemone from another reefer

JenniferColor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on the nem , may need a cipro treatment - I just dosed my entire tank with cipro for a week and I’m seeing only benefits / my nems are recovering
Would you mind explaining the cipro treatment for me? I can't seem to find info online.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 70 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back