Help please!

CaptainFishFingers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I’ve added a new Exquisitus Wrasse to my 180gallon tank and straight away it went into hiding as expected but after two days I’m expecting to see it more. however the six line wrasse I already had in the tank is bullying it and anytime he sees it he won’t stop attacking.

Can anyone help me with this problem as the fish isn’t looking to good in my opinion but I’m new to the hobby and don’t know very much he was resting on my glass scrapper at the top of the tank, is this to hide or are there more serious issues going on? any solutions would be appreciated.

07F892E3-9B14-4BE5-B25B-C109DE12FE7A.jpeg

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the fish breathing hard? Six lines are known terrors and there’s a good chance it will never accept the new wrasse. You can remove the six line to allow the new one to establish but there’s a good chance they will never coexist peacefully.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have one, maybe put the new comer in a fish trap/acclimatisation box, or similar for a while so they can’t physically get to each other

Long term it might not work because of aggression but it’s worth a try and they might get used to each other in safety. I do that with all new additions in my large reef system

OP
OP
CaptainFishFingers

CaptainFishFingers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the fish breathing hard? Six lines are known terrors and there’s a good chance it will never accept the new wrasse. You can remove the six line to allow the new one to establish but there’s a good chance they will never coexist peacefully.
He was for a while but it’s slowed now his gone into cover, oh no I like both fish don’t want to lose either but maybe one will have to go. I’ve only recently got rid of a damsel! which I had to remove 75kg of rock to do so, but I’d rather not do that again! as I’ll struggle to catch him without any rock. Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
CaptainFishFingers

CaptainFishFingers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly yes. I’ll have to buy one and see how it goes, hopefully I won’t have to lose one of them.
If you have one, maybe put the new comer in a fish trap/acclimatisation box, or similar for a while so they can’t physically get to each other

Long term it might not work because of aggression but it’s worth a try and they might get used to each other in safety. I do that with all new additions in my large reef system

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s very early, they need time.
Just let them work it out if they can.
My last addition took 22 days to stop hiding in the top corner.
Then, he just folded into the rest of the family.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my limited experience they tend to work things out. I have a six line which hasn't bothered my other wrasse or anything else. Kind of like dogs in a dog park. The new guy is "investigated" but eventually they all get along. I hope this happens in your case. Give it time but be vigilant. If you can get the new fish into an acclimation box (like separating dogs at the park) for a few weeks that may help.

Last edited:

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering over a period of time would the six line just get bored? and leave him alone?
they are lil devils sixlines i had one almost killed a yellow tang and the tang was easily 2-3 times his size, you have a pretty big tank it might work but have a fish trap ready when you have a sixline they are notorious in this hobby, i recommend catching him and let the other wrasse settle for a bit and then re-introduce the sixline will be your best bet, like others mentioned google DYI fish traps pretty easy to make

OP
OP
CaptainFishFingers

CaptainFishFingers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are lil devils sixlines i had one almost killed a yellow tang and the tang was easily 2-3 times his size, you have a pretty big tank it might work but have a fish trap ready when you have a sixline they are notorious in this hobby, i recommend catching him and let the other wrasse settle for a bit and then re-introduce the sixline will be your best bet, like others mentioned google DYI fish traps pretty easy to make
angry little fellas! His been fine up until now strangely, I’m going to do this and see how it goes, thanks for your help!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six lines are not nice fish to newcomers. Especially wrasse and they get meaner as they age. If you want more wrasse I would get rid of the six line as it has already demonstrated how it will treat new wrasse tank mates.

Your new fish is resting on the cleaner magnet because he is in extreme distress. He got locked up in a new house and his roommate is beating the crap out of him.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ agree. You need to decide which wrasse stays and which one goes or else I’m afraid your exquisite won’t make it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back