HELP! Ruby Red Dragonet not eating, lethargic and sleeping?

leilanastasia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought my ruby red dragonet yesterday. It was in the fish store for a week before taking it home (I put it on hold). I’ve been preparing for dragonets in my tank for awhile now (I have a culture hatchery established) and was finally ready to bring one home. I didn’t notice until he was already acclimated and welcomed into my tank, that he has a majorly sunken in belly. Not at all rounded, I immediately put in a load of copepods- but he hasn’t eaten any. I have a very very well established isopod colony. They mainly hide in my coralline rocks along with some amphipods. There’s a couple isopods right in front of him right now and he isn’t eating. I have copepods living in my filter/refugium area as well which aren’t in the main tank. He is alive and breathing but I’m worried there’s something wrong. He is pretty small as well since he’s pretty much a baby. Does anyone have advice on what to do? He is clearly starving, even when food is right in front of his face :(

my arrow crab touched him and yesterday when I brought him home he did not like anything touching him or near him.. he didn’t respond to the arrow crab nor did he move. I’m wondering if he’s on a weird sleep cycle or something.. maybe it’s me making up excuses for my new baby dying

092989B1-BE53-44D7-BEB4-F8F25395421A.jpeg

Last edited:

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought my ruby red dragonet yesterday. It was in the fish store for a week before taking it home (I put it on hold). I’ve been preparing for dragonets in my tank for awhile now (I have a culture hatchery established) and was finally ready to bring one home. I didn’t notice until he was already acclimated and welcomed into my tank, that he has a majorly sunken in belly. Not at all rounded, I immediately put in a load of copepods- but he hasn’t eaten any. I have a very very well established isopod colony. They mainly hide in my coralline rocks along with some amphipods. There’s a couple isopods right in front of him right now and he isn’t eating. I have copepods living in my filter/refugium area as well which aren’t in the main tank. He is alive and breathing but I’m worried there’s something wrong. He is pretty small as well since he’s pretty much a baby. Does anyone have advice on what to do? He is clearly starving, even when food is right in front of his face :(

my arrow crab touched him and yesterday when I brought him home he did not like anything touching him or near him.. he didn’t respond to the arrow crab nor did he move. I’m wondering if he’s on a weird sleep cycle or something.. maybe it’s me making up excuses for my new baby dying

092989B1-BE53-44D7-BEB4-F8F25395421A.jpeg
Welcome to in my opinion on of the best hobbies in the world! This hobby is an opportunity to recreate a piece of the ocean in the comfort of your home! Reef2Reef is a great place to be to learn all about the hobby, and can find some valuable resources!

As for the dragonet it does not seem to be in best of health.. from the pic I feel like I am noticing a sunken stomach.. How is your copepod population? They are avid eaters and usually will eat all day long pecking at the rockwork.. if he/she is not doing so than there may be an issue!

IMG_1502.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
leilanastasia

leilanastasia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to in my opinion on of the best hobbies in the world! This hobby is an opportunity to recreate a piece of the ocean in the comfort of your home! Reef2Reef is a great place to be to learn all about the hobby, and can find some valuable resources!

As for the dragonet it does not seem to be in best of health.. from the pic I feel like I am noticing a sunken stomach.. How is your copepod population? They are avid eaters and usually will eat all day long pecking at the rockwork.. if he/she is not doing so than there may be an issue!

IMG_1502.jpg
I have a huge copepod culture, some have been seeded in the rocks before bringing her home and I also have a decently large munnid isopod population in the rocks along w amphipods.. poor baby when I brought her home had sunken belly and I fed loads of copepods into the tank.. she didn’t eat any at all. She passed away 2 days after purchasing. :( must’ve had something wrong internally or just too malnourished from the lfs.

Upvote 0

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a huge copepod culture, some have been seeded in the rocks before bringing her home and I also have a decently large munnid isopod population in the rocks along w amphipods.. poor baby when I brought her home had sunken belly and I fed loads of copepods into the tank.. she didn’t eat any at all. She passed away 2 days after purchasing. :( must’ve had something wrong internally or just too malnourished from the lfs.
Most likely malnourished.. Sorry for your loss dear!

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back