Help -- Stressed Azure Damselfish

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, curious what anyone might have for advice on my Azure Damselfish. It is housed in a reefer 350 (90g), with a mated pair of clownfish and a cardinalfish.

Until recently it has been acting fine and getting along well with it's tankmates. Yesterday I noticed it pacing around the tank and decreased appetite. This morning it was pacing around the tank as well (unusual as it normally is hiding/resting in the morning before being fed and before lights on).

I do not notice any markings or signs of disease/infection/parasites on it's flesh. All my fish were previously in QT. All fish are in DT and have been for over a year. I will try to attach a picture/video later with lights on..

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you’re stressed. I know slight changes in behavior, new little markings/scrapes on fish always have me on edge even after years and years in the hobby.
If the other three fish are all acting fine I’d wait and see. Maybe skip a day of feeding to see if appetite returns to normal.
You’re saying it’s a mated pair of clownfish so you’ve see how they behave with eggs previously?

Beyond that, you can always do a water chem test to be sure nothing is off.

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you’re stressed. I know slight changes in behavior, new little markings/scrapes on fish always have me on edge even after years and years in the hobby.
If the other three fish are all acting fine I’d wait and see. Maybe skip a day of feeding to see if appetite returns to normal.
You’re saying it’s a mated pair of clownfish so you’ve see how they behave with eggs previously?

Beyond that, you can always do a water chem test to be sure nothing is off.
Thanks for the quick response, regarding my clownfish I don't think I've ever seen them lay eggs, or I haven't noticed.. so I can't really speak to how they would act in that situation but they're normally by a rock island in the back right corner but lately have been more in the center of the tank where damselfish normally is so maybe that's why it's stressed?

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick response, regarding my clownfish I don't think I've ever seen them lay eggs, or I haven't noticed.. so I can't really speak to how they would act in that situation but they're normally by a rock island in the back right corner but lately have been more in the center of the tank where damselfish normally is so maybe that's why it's stressed?
Yeah, if you made me put money on it, I’d say the clowns could be the culprits. I had a pair of maroons that terrorized everything. Tangs, dotty backs, damsels.

Keep an eye on things. That’s a large space for 4 total fish so hopefully they all settle down. Conversely, being you only have two fish for the clowns to bully, make sure it doesn’t get outta hand if you do notice some aggression.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, if you made me put money on it, I’d say the clowns could be the culprits. I had a pair of maroons that terrorized everything. Tangs, dotty backs, damsels.

Keep an eye on things. That’s a large space for 4 total fish so hopefully they all settle down. Conversely, being you only have two fish for the clowns to bully, make sure it doesn’t get outta hand if you do notice some aggression.

Best of luck!
Appreciate the assistance, I'll watch for any aggression!

If they are indeed the culprit do you have any ideas to reduce aggression?

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Best of luck!
I do not have any suggestion on reducing clownfish aggression. I recently removed a pair of maroon clowns from my tank because their attitudes had just gotten to be too much.

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh! Not sure why there's any aggression but I definitely see the clownfish and the cardinalfish chasing and in close proximity of the damselfish as it's swimming around.. definitely stressing it out!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back