Help..Thoughts…Suddenly Lethargic/Dying Fish

JayGrayKW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve followed the discussions here for a while and always find answers to my questions.
Situation-
I just added a blue and yellow Angel to my tank around 6:00 PM. Prior all levels were normal and my other fish and inverts were fine (7 month tank, established, balanced) I checked on everything about 2 hours later and the new Angel was laying on the bottom. My clowns were treading water as well as my lawnmower blend being lethargic. My anemone, shrimp, and snails are all fine.
I pulled out the Angel (definitely dead) and put everyone else I could get in a quarantine tank. They seemed to be doing ok. I moved my live rock to see if my gobby was alive underneath in his borough and he was 100% fine
I’m so confused as to what could have happened. My thought is that it is coincidental adding the Angel. While I was getting everyone out I noticed my fluval heater was somewhat under water beyond the “safe water mark” Do you think it could have been a voltage issue? I made sure all levels were normal and put them back and everyone seems fairly fine. My hypothesis is it was an electric issue because all bottom dwellers were fine but the fish in the water column were not.
Ideas?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Some likelihoods:
Ammonia spike
Nitrate spike
High temperature
Low salinity
Velvet or similar outbreak

Mxracer65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve followed the discussions here for a while and always find answers to my questions.
Situation-
I just added a blue and yellow Angel to my tank around 6:00 PM. Prior all levels were normal and my other fish and inverts were fine (7 month tank, established, balanced) I checked on everything about 2 hours later and the new Angel was laying on the bottom. My clowns were treading water as well as my lawnmower blend being lethargic. My anemone, shrimp, and snails are all fine.
I pulled out the Angel (definitely dead) and put everyone else I could get in a quarantine tank. They seemed to be doing ok. I moved my live rock to see if my gobby was alive underneath in his borough and he was 100% fine
I’m so confused as to what could have happened. My thought is that it is coincidental adding the Angel. While I was getting everyone out I noticed my fluval heater was somewhat under water beyond the “safe water mark” Do you think it could have been a voltage issue? I made sure all levels were normal and put them back and everyone seems fairly fine. My hypothesis is it was an electric issue because all bottom dwellers were fine but the fish in the water column were not.
Ideas?
Tank parameters and pics of tank?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back