Help to ID and remove brown "clove polyps"

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

We have some small brown polyps spreading in some of our tanks and we're looking for some animal that can eat these. Not sure at all if it's some kind of Clove polyp(I prefer stony corals :) ).
So here are some pictures, same stuff in different tanks and light.
IMG_4788.JPG
IMG_4787.JPG

We decided to take a chance two weeks ago and add a butterflyfish but it won't eat them. (Doesn't even eat the brain corals. Strange :confused: )
IMG_4830.JPG

Yes, and also I'm aware of a lot of chemicals that will kill it. But I would like to find an animal that eats them since we have a lot of corals in the tanks as well. So, any advice? :)

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the fenbendazole and had no coral losses other than blue cloves. I have mostly SPS but also a few LPS and zoas.

Thanks. But I would only try that in a tank specially set up for treating these polyps. And that is a lot of work which I hope to avoid :)

I know I'm a bit overly concerned about chemicals/medicine that go in our tanks, but that's me ;)

/ David

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. But I would only try that in a tank specially set up for treating these polyps. And that is a lot of work which I hope to avoid :)

I know I'm a bit overly concerned about chemicals/medicine that go in our tanks, but that's me ;)

/ David
did you get rid of them? I found a patch in my tank and want them gone before it gets out of hand

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you get rid of them? I found a patch in my tank and want them gone before it gets out of hand
No, I haven't found any animal that eats them yet. Tried a butterflyfish but it prefer other corals ;Smuggrin
So I'm still looking around.

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might pull my rock out and scrape it. Lots of life on it though ugh. What a dreadful situation. They just started popping out of a frag months after I bought it from a local vendor.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might pull my rock out and scrape it. Lots of life on it though ugh. What a dreadful situation. They just started popping out of a frag months after I bought it from a local vendor.
If it's just one rock you might try to treat it with fenbendazol in a bucket or small tank. We tried it in a small tank, mostly to see if Acropora flatworms were affected. The clove polyps didn't like that at all, the Acroporas and the flatworms were fine :)
I shouldn't try it on a reef tank, but in a small tank with just the rock you need to treat maybe.
I don't know the dosage though. Might ask @tripdad what he used for dosage?

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you don't want to do it but if you get pushed into a corner i can vouch i used fenbendazole with full sps tank & had no issues. I used a liquid one & dosed 2ml to a 600L of 5% fenbendazole - took xenia & those clove polyps out 100%
goniopora/sea-apple/snails no effect on, Both xenia & polyps not come back.

My tank
41535281260_563572879e.jpg

i 'd use it again if i ever needed to

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

We have some small brown polyps spreading in some of our tanks and we're looking for some animal that can eat these. Not sure at all if it's some kind of Clove polyp(I prefer stony corals :) ).
IMG_4788.JPG
IMG_4787.JPG

We decided to take a chance two weeks ago and add a butterflyfish but it won't eat them. (Doesn't even eat the brain corals. Strange :confused: )
IMG_4830.JPG

Yes, and also I'm aware of a lot of chemicals that will kill it. But I would like to find an animal that eats them since we have a lot of corals in the tanks as well. So, any advice? :)

/ m n hh

Last edited:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

IMG_4788.JPG
IMG_4787.JPG

IMG_4830.JPG

/ David

Maybe quarantine a fish or two, which type your call, don't feed for 3 days, and slowly feed them those polyps and food they like .
Then feed more of brown cloves. Yum yum.

When fish likes cloves only, then release them to tank.

Crimson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe quarantine a fish or two, which type your call, don't feed for 3 days, and slowly feed them those polyps and food they like .
Then feed more of brown cloves. Yum yum.

When fish likes cloves only, then release them to tank.

Marine biologist tried something similar in the Caribbean. They attempted to train sharks to eat lion fish, but with limited success.

BellaD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a One Spot Foxface that DEMOLISHED both my blue daisy polyps as well as my clove polyps. I had to remove both of them and put them into my 55 gallon reef tank. Luckily they came back. On the other hand I've heard that fish can be much like people, in the sense that they all have their own unique little favorite treats, so no guarantee that one fish will have the same tastes as others.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back