HELP - What do you think these white spots are?

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed some white spots on my PC Rainbow and an unknown piece. However, they are both growing and have good PE. I have monitored these pieces for over a week and have not seen any pests. I have never seen a pest in my tank and I dip everything. I don't even want to think of AEFW but I know I can't rule anything out. However, I have not seen a single flatworm on these pieces or in the tank ever.

The purple unknown is tilted at an angle and I don't think it was originally at this angle in the owner's tank. Maybe affected by direct light? It has become white on the inside and some green coming out in certain areas. The base and tips are still full of purple color. It does not appear to be STN and there is no loss of flesh. Just appears pale.

Red Circles show off the areas with good color.
20200410_125818 2.jpg

Closer up. Sorry for the crappy pic. It is from my phone this morning. The yellow circle shows discoloration.
20200410_121706 2.jpg

Top of my PC Rainbow. Top is very colorful and healthy looking.
20200410_121714.jpg

The underside has some white marks. Every time I look at this part I think of AEFW bitemarks; but again, I have never seen a single worm and they are not little white circles everywhere. Just some white patches throughout and going into the center.

20200410_121800 2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try basting the frags with a turkey baster? Pics are not close enough to see what it could be.

I am scared too! Lol. I am afraid AEFW's will blow out. Don't know how I would handle that. Lol

I am mounting some frags today so I will give that a try today.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I feel you but it’s better to know early than later. Trust me on that one. Also basting corals often really is a good thing especially for acros and even if you don’t have aefw.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I feel you but it’s better to know early than later. Trust me on that one. Also basting corals often really is a good thing especially for acros and even if you don’t have aefw.

I basted them pretty strong today and nothing came off of those pieces. I have heard about basting them from other reefers. I imagine it helps to keep them clean, etc. I will start basting all the pieces. I need to go through and start basting my rocks also. How often would you recommend to do this?

Last edited:

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make sure I do it every week but I try to do it more like two or three. Each tank will be much different though. Depends on how fast rocks start to trap detritus or how often you see acro colonies that get something stuck in them.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make sure I do it every week but I try to do it more like two or three. Each tank will be much different though. Depends on how fast rocks start to trap detritus or how often you see acro colonies that get something stuck in them.

Cool. I will make an effort to do it at least once a week.

So do you think if there would have been AEFW then would they have come off during the basting yesterday? If that is the case then is there another reason for the white patches. The PC Rainbow does start to look this it is getting better.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adults you can see come off of the corals. The new worms are small and hard to see so it’s not a sure fire thing. Only way to tell for sure is to look at every acro you have on all sides for the bite marks or eggs.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PC Rainbow is getting better. However, the purple unknown piece is turning more white. It is high up and could be bleaching because I have it on its side. Should I remove it and try relocating it lower or leave it? If it is bleaching then will it recover or get worse?

20200418_165840.jpg
20200418_165829.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back