Help!! What is wrong with it?

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does this mean?

so what should I do? I have had the octopus running since Monday.. so 7 days on Sunday.. it was almost full at the top.

Well I just read through a few of your threads you've posted. I took from it that you're fair new to saltwater. You have a small 30 with a handful of fish. You've bought fish that shouldn't be in a tank of your size (i.e. H. Tusk, purple tang, maybe couple others). Many if not all had diseases (ich and velvet if I'm not mistaken). All of which are worry some.

My suggestion is to slow down a bit. Do some more reading and asking questions. Hold back from purchasing fish or coral. Get good test kits and a good RO/DI kit. Established a routine that you can consistently do on a week to week basis without changing it much. Understand water quality as far as parameters and make sure those parameters are consistent. This is just the beginning to a beautiful reef tank.

77.christy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I "liked" the last post bc I, too am new (little over a year) and I tend to rush into things too. Trying to slow down and do my research before I lose any more $ or worse, the life of an animal.

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's get to the basics for you tank FTS (full tank shot)
Also let's see your sump include a good picture of your skimmer
Water parameters
S.G.
CA calcium
MG magnesium
PO4 phosphates
NO3 nitrates
P.h.
Water flow how much is flowing per hr from the tank to the sump.
This can help with others on giving you advice. My only suggestion is listen to what people have to suggest go through it and then find the groove that works for you.

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dan McNertney I'm sorry as my post from previous post other than the one at hand have been confusing.. I started out with freshwater tanks.. I purchased a already established water and all, 30 gallon saltwater tank.. you are correct.. I did jump into the tank way to soon.. adding way to much to the tank to fast. After the h tusk bringing in velvet to the tank and losing almost everything.. I did save a few fish.. I learned my lesson about qt. Now that's out of the way.. in the meantime I sold the fish out of one of my 75 gallon freshwater tanks and started it up as a saltwater tank. Doing as much research on setting it up and focusing on seeding the tank getting it ready for a cleanup crew.. after 3 months and stable water peremiters I added the cleanup crew. Of course when I say start up I include live rock and sand. Sump and skimmer, saltwater and reactor. Thermometer and power heads.. etc. I am now 10 months into the 75 gallons so say almost a year jntonsaltwater all together. Other than anemones for my clowns I just recently started adding a few corals here and there. My lighting I was told was new and it wasn't so I purchased a new fluval marine and reef 2.0 and realized maybe that isn't enough. All I could afford was a skimmer just big enough for 100 gallon tank and since mine is a 75 I figured it would be ok. I don't know all the correct lingo everyone uses and as for my lighting.. I purchased them from a lfs which shut down and I have driven two hours to get these lights correct and they are new so anything and everything about them is yet to be released by reefgrow.com.. I finally got in touch with the man and he told me a few things but said he would call me back with info on adjusting them and such. So they are set on what he had then set at for my tank that I told him I needed them for. So really and truly I am new.. but I am on this forum and googling my heart at everyday all day before I even attempt to ask a question on this forum so that I don't look or sound like a complete idiot. I now have 4 tanks.. one being a 55 g chiclid, 30 g sw, 14 g biocube sw and my 75 g. I'm already at my wits end to the point of saying Screw it!! And then I feel even more of an idiot for asking questions on here.. please forgive me but I thought this forum was for those like me to get help as we go from those like yourself maybe? @Humblefish whom has helped me numerous times without ridicule. Please don't think I threw tanks up, starting dosing things, adding things and such without long lengthy time consuming searches and reads.. thanks for your input as everyone's helps me out more than you guys know.. I'm over the whole situation now.. who wants to buy my tanks!

Ps.. I have a RO/dI and set up.. with containers, refractormeter etc.. I have a routine with every Sunday I do my testing and water changes and add if need be.. all with the help of reefgrow.com using their dose builder..

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asking for help is nothing to feel like an idiot about, take a step back catch your breath and move on don't let one bad comment stop you from trying or doing something you enjoy. As with everything we have to walk before we run. Keep your head up and move forward in promise especially with anemones anyone that keeps them have lost there fair share, and we all know the dreaded smell that comes with loosing a nem. Also I know myself included when we are fairly new to the hobby we tend to rush. So really if a SW tank is something that you feel passionate about keeping then by all means do it ask questions and accept the advice of people you trust. If you would still like to move forward refer to my previous post and I'm sure plenty of people will be more than willing to give you advice. The people that want to beat you up just ignore let it go in one ear and out the other. Good luck with this adventure and happy reefing.

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asking for help is nothing to feel like an idiot about, take a step back catch your breath and move on don't let one bad comment stop you from trying or doing something you enjoy. As with everything we have to walk before we run. Keep your head up and move forward in promise especially with anemones anyone that keeps them have lost there fair share, and we all know the dreaded smell that comes with loosing a nem. Also I know myself included when we are fairly new to the hobby we tend to rush. So really if a SW tank is something that you feel passionate about keeping then by all means do it ask questions and accept the advice of people you trust. If you would still like to move forward refer to my previous post and I'm sure plenty of people will be more than willing to give you advice. The people that want to beat you up just ignore let it go in one ear and out the other. Good luck with this adventure and happy reefing.
Thank you so much for this post.. it really helps when those of you whom are not newbies have patience.. I will get all of the answers to your questions posted today:) again thanks

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for this post.. it really helps when those of you whom are not newbies have patience.. I will get all of the answers to your questions posted today:) again thanks
And thanks for posting all your questions! As someone about to set up their first tank, reading posts like yours helps me get answers to questions I haven't even thought of yet. Trust me, your questions are helping much more than just you! I'm only sorry you have had to go through these problems but maybe it will make you feel better knowing that others could learn from your trials.

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And thanks for posting all your questions! As someone about to set up their first tank, reading posts like yours helps me get answers to questions I haven't even thought of yet. Trust me, your questions are helping much more than just you! I'm only sorry you have had to go through these problems but maybe it will make you feel better knowing that others could learn from your trials.
Wow.. I never looked at it that way.. you made my day!! I am like you at learning from others mistakes and/or reading their questions.. but I guess when your frustrated and caught up in your on dilemma you never think outside the box:) that's awesome and I appreciate it.. I wish you the very best of luck with your set up. Welcome to r2r.. these guys and girls are AMAZING and I honestly would have been doomed a looooong time ago if it were not for this forum. If you have a sick fish along the way.. @Humblefish and @melypr1985 are geniuses.. then you have several like @cowboy and many others that you can go back in my post and check that have helped me for a while now... I may not agree or like everyone's feedback.. but I asked for it.. i know this.. and even if it's degrading, misleading, rude, or "how it is" any feedback is better than none at all..

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may not agree or like everyone's feedback.. but I asked for it.. i know this.. and even if it's degrading, misleading, rude, or "how it is" any feedback is better than none at all..

As good as many people are, this is still the internet! :p

I will say that this forum has about the smallest number of trolls of any internet forum I have ever seen. That's why I decided it would be my main source of information when I decided to start a reef tank.

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As good as many people are, this is still the internet! :p

I will say that this forum has about the smallest number of trolls of any internet forum I have ever seen. That's why I decided it would be my main source of information when I decided to start a reef tank.
Hahaha couldn't agree with you more

77.christy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of learning from others... I'll share my experience that happened yesterday so maybe no one else has to go thru it..... Devastating day! [emoji29][emoji29]
a626752bf834c8eefa3fbd41bd9d993f.jpg

. So, I get home from work today and my power was off. Total panic mode. Made all the necessary phone calls and a technician was sent out. I decided to get a flashlight and look at the fish. . Shldnt have done that bc then I REALLY began to freak out. The fox face and yellow tang were still breathing very labored, but breathing. The rest were already dead.
In my panicked state I messaged Ty to call me immediately. Wanted to know if there was anything I could do. I did put ice cubes in to bring the 87° water down to 81°.... But didn't know how to get oxygen back in.
The technician must've shown up bc everything came on, like magic. The silence of a dead home is eerie. And now I have cool air, noise of the tanks and fans, but part of my fish family is gone.
Ironically, the dog face is fine (), 3 clowns, one dragon wrasse that was struggling for awhile, but is swimming now, Esther the eel, pink goby, and one harlequin shrimp. All the other inverts appear to be ok. Haven't seen the conch and there is one flame hawk still MIA. . Maybe he'll show up later.
In the SH tank, weirdly everyone seems great. Which is GOOD, Jst weird bc it was off too. Don't wanna be Debbie downer, but back-up power is a must for me now!!! Takes a lot to make me cry and seeing them struggling to breathe and scared and freaking out was hard for me. I felt so helpless. I can kinda get how Rory must've felt.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_fid=11912&share_type=t&share_pid=305236

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@77.christy oh my gosh.. I'm soooo sorry for your loss.. it's devastating to see any fish loss.. they are our family and we work so hard to keep them healthy for something like this to spring on us out of no where. Do know your awful experience and sharing it has probably saved many fish already and will in the future.. those were some gorgeous fish!
I saved three clowns a engineer goby, snowflake eel, and a cardinal from a stupid mistake by not putting a HTusk in a qt which whipped out every fish but the ones mentioned. Funny thing now.. one of the clowns I saved is now in my 75g (other two fought the snowflake clowns I have) -and she's the MEANEST little butt on the planet. I literally can't do anything in my tank without blocking her with my net from biting me. She doesn't do it to anyone else in the house. I'm like.. you little turd. I'm the one who saved you. Up all night, running 3 hours there and back several times the lfs keeping up with meds and copper and test kits.. and I'm the one whom feeds you.. yet I'm the one you hate!! Hmmmmm lol I sometimes want to take her out and spank her.. haha.. again sorry for your loss.. I def need to look into a generator as 4 backup bubblers are probably not gonna cut it

Jen_h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just read through a few of your threads you've posted. I took from it that you're fair new to saltwater. You have a small 30 with a handful of fish. You've bought fish that shouldn't be in a tank of your size (i.e. H. Tusk, purple tang, maybe couple others). Many if not all had diseases (ich and velvet if I'm not mistaken). All of which are worry some.

My suggestion is to slow down a bit. Do some more reading and asking questions. Hold back from purchasing fish or coral. Get good test kits and a good RO/DI kit. Established a routine that you can consistently do on a week to week basis without changing it much. Understand water quality as far as parameters and make sure those parameters are consistent. This is just the beginning to a beautiful reef tank.
I think this is pretty solid advice!

77.christy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.. I never looked at it that way.. you made my day!! I am like you at learning from others mistakes and/or reading their questions.. but I guess when your frustrated and caught up in your on dilemma you never think outside the box:) that's awesome and I appreciate it.. I wish you the very best of luck with your set up. Welcome to r2r.. these guys and girls are AMAZING and I honestly would have been doomed a looooong time ago if it were not for this forum. If you have a sick fish along the way.. @Humblefish and @melypr1985 are geniuses.. then you have several like @cowboy and many others that you can go back in my post and check that have helped me for a while now... I may not agree or like everyone's feedback.. but I asked for it.. i know this.. and even if it's degrading, misleading, rude, or "how it is" any feedback is better than none at all..
Lol. I have a dotty back in my 35 SH tank that is impossible to catch. And he too, it a TURD! So mean to the fish and SH. Doesn't compete for food. Just nose butts them all out of the blue for no reason. If I could thump him on the nose, I prolly would. Lol

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is pretty solid advice!
It may have been if the assumptions were accurate. My understanding is that she started with a 30 gallon tank and now also has a 75 gallon tank that these fish are in.

Jen_h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may have been if the assumptions were accurate. My understanding is that she started with a 30 gallon tank and now also has a 75 gallon tank that these fish are in.
Yes but besides the fish he was talking about did the advice he gave matter on if it's a 30 gallon or 75 gallon? As far as getting good test kits, using rodi etc.....I was just trying to say he still has some good tips/advice that's all.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sistawolf noticed you listed your phosphate as 8.2, a couple times (edit-or I just read the post a couple times, lol) .. That's really high. Not that it would hurt fish, but I'm just wondering if you may perhaps be mistaking a pH test as a phosphate test?

Phosphate is abbreviated PO4. So just wanted to check as I could see the pH easily reading 8.2, and the phosphate tests I have used didn't really have decimal readings at that range..

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 52 40.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 64 50.4%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back