Help!! What is wrong with it?

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a bubble tip anemone yesterday and it looked awesome in the store. I brought it home and acclimated it. Placed in the tank and it wouldn't attach. Even lightly holding it to a rock. All power heads have. Been turned off since I placed him in the tank. I eventually placed him on a rock with a crevice so he could "sit" until he attached and he was turned upside down this morning. When I saw him I immediately moved him to the sand and as you see.. he's just tilted on his side.. his mouth is open but not to wide. I tried to feed it and he has mysis stuck to a couple tentacles but hasn't closed to eat. What should I do? is he dying?

IMG_8383.JPG

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you acclimate him? Anemones are sensitive to changing water chemistry and should always be drip acclimated IMO. Also, what kind of light was he under at the LFS vs. what you have him in now?

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you acclimate him? Anemones are sensitive to changing water chemistry and should always be drip acclimated IMO. Also, what kind of light was he under at the LFS vs. what you have him in now?
I did the temp acclimate and then put bag in a bucket and added a cup of water every 4 mins until the bag was full.. he was still open and bubble tipped when I took him out and put in my tank.. it was late so my lighting was going down to blues only and then off when I placed him. Not sure what lighting they use at lfs. But I have the reef grow lighting and I have 3 tiles. Should I turn lights off?
Another thing to look at check it's foot for any cuts from when the LFS was removing it from there system.
I can't really see his foot and don't want to bother him again but I dont think it was torn. He looked ok even bringing him home

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your chemistry.
Make a burrow in a lower flow area of the tank and place the anemones base/column/foot in the burrow. Against the rock work base would be ideal if able. If that does not work dry a piece of wide diameter PVC positioned so the anemone can attach to glass or rock.
At this point trying to feed the anemone is pointless, give the anemone a chance to acclimate. You may have to adjust the flow to prevent the anemone from blowing around the tank, and allow the anemone a chance to foot to a solid base.

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just touched him and brown stuff came out of his mouth. I think I'm about to remove him

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your chemistry.
Make a burrow in a lower flow area of the tank and place the anemones base/column/foot in the burrow. Against the rock work base would be ideal if able. If that does not work dry a piece of wide diameter PVC positioned so the anemone can attach to glass or rock.
At this point trying to feed the anemone is pointless, give the anemone a chance to acclimate. You may have to adjust the flow to prevent the anemone from blowing around the tank, and allow the anemone a chance to foot to a solid base.
He's in a low flow now and even when up higher cause I had the power heads off. Does brown stuff coming out mean he's dead or dying? I don't want my tank crashin

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not uncommon for acclimating anemones to expel waste and or zooanthellae.

Once the anemone starts to show or expel mesenterial filaments (they look stringy) or displays tissue decay it's time to remove them. Your anemone does not seem to be at the point yet.

The quick demise of an anemone upon introduction to a new system points to an issue with chemistry.

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I put him in a qt? I have a 10 gallon I can set up with a seaded sponge

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not uncommon for acclimating anemones to expel waste and or zooanthellae.

Once the anemone starts to show or expel mesenterial filaments (they look stringy) or displays tissue decay it's time to remove them. Your anemone does not seem to be at the point yet.

The quick demise of an anemone upon introduction to a new system points to an issue with chemistry.
See above

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also did a 10 gallon water change last night and added new Gfo so I haven't checked my water as it was 2 this morning by the time I set my skimmer and sump back up.. I have a 75 gallon

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it time like mentioned above it'll do some crazy things expel what's inside it to replenish with fresh water and its mouth will open on occasion. Get it upright and on its foot. Don't make too many changes or it'll have to keep acclimating once you get it turned back on its foot and stabil I'd keep my hands out no matter how hard it is. It'll be obvious when it's dying

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

^^This. Unless his base is damaged (could have happened when removed from the tank at the LFS), I would be doing a full battery of tests. Especially check for nitrates as most nems don't handle elevated NO3 well.

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it time like mentioned above it'll do some crazy things expel what's inside it to replenish with fresh water and its mouth will open on occasion. Get it upright and on its foot. Don't make too many changes or it'll have to keep acclimating once you get it turned back on its foot and stabil I'd keep my hands out no matter how hard it is. It'll be obvious when it's dying
Awesome thank you all for the advice.. don't know what I would do with R2R and everyone's help

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^This. Unless his base is damaged (could have happened when removed from the tank at the LFS), I would be doing a full battery of tests. Especially check for nitrates as most nems don't handle elevated NO3 well.
I will do.. will post when I'm done

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now you can also put it in a breeder basket, I've had good luck with doing this to multiple BTA it will allow all the sand to come off its base and you will be able to inspect it a little better.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 48 43.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 56 50.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.3%
Back