Help!! What is wrong with it?

77.christy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a test that exists with digital accurate readings for everything super important such as phosphates, alk, ammonia, nitrates and nitrites.. I know hanna has calcium mag and alk I do believe
Hanna has them for everything from pH to iodine. Lots!

77.christy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never drip acclimated an anemone and never lost an anemone secondary to not drip acclimating. Put anemone in container, slowly switch out store water for display water over the course of a half hour.

This is my third post in this thread, neither of my first two post were even acknowledged or answered. I am not even certain that was a BTA based on the images. You obviously have other anemones and are keeping them successfully, so your doing something right.

Use a conversion chart to assist with alkalinity values, just insert ppm and the chart will convert to what ever measurement you prefer, such as dkh.

https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/AlkConversion.php

I suggest putting up the money for a Hanna Checker.
Go back to page one and look again. [emoji6]

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep.. your soooo correct.. lol hey at least I admit to being a moron haha
Not a moron at all this hobby throws around so many acronyms you'd think it's the military, haha. Even after several years in the hobby, I still run across abbreviations that I'm like, what are they talking about?! So it was an easy mistake to make. I like the red sea pro kits, and as someone already mentioned, it's really about becoming proficient using the test and doing the same thing every time. It takes practice. Teaching my wife how to do some tests, I realized how much I took my familiarity with syringes (work) for granted in running the tests. It will come easier.
Happy reefing!

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never drip acclimated an anemone and never lost an anemone secondary to not drip acclimating. Put anemone in container, slowly switch out store water for display water over the course of a half hour.

This is my third post in this thread, neither of my first two post were even acknowledged or answered. I am not even certain that was a BTA based on the images. You obviously have other anemones and are keeping them successfully, so your doing something right.

Use a conversion chart to assist with alkalinity values, just insert ppm and the chart will convert to what ever measurement you prefer, such as dkh.

https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/AlkConversion.php

I suggest putting up the money for a Hanna Checker.
I'm so sorry.. I guess I was to caught up in the drama.. it was a bta and was gorgeous when I purchased it.. but did have neon looking tips which was odd. Anyway... I never acclimated my other nems but thought I should start doing it the correct way and now this... thank you for your post.. I appreciate and did read them all:)

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a moron at all this hobby throws around so many acronyms you'd think it's the military, haha. Even after several years in the hobby, I still run across abbreviations that I'm like, what are they talking about?! So it was an easy mistake to make. I like the red sea pro kits, and as someone already mentioned, it's really about becoming proficient using the test and doing the same thing every time. It takes practice. Teaching my wife how to do some tests, I realized how much I took my familiarity with syringes (work) for granted in running the tests. It will come easier.
Happy reefing!
For sure.. question though.. in using the alk test. What is 3.2 in comparison to .ppm? Is 3.2 high?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure.. question though.. in using the alk test. What is 3.2 in comparison to .ppm? Is 3.2 high?
Determine what units you are measuring in and you can convert to other units with this chart
e8f077b479ea91d09a657f458d86ed0d.jpg

And 3.2meq/L is fine for most systems, if you have a ulns (low to none nitrate phosphate) you would need to run a bit lower. Like around 7.5 to 8dkh

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Determine what units you are measuring in and you can convert to other units with this chart
e8f077b479ea91d09a657f458d86ed0d.jpg

And 3.2meq/L is fine for most systems, if you have a ulns (low to none nitrate phosphate) you would need to run a bit lower. Like around 7.5 to 8dkh
Holy moly where did you find that!! Awesome! And that level is ok? Seems to high to me

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy moly where did you find that!! Awesome! And that level is ok? Seems to high to me
Yep, that level is fine. from this article by Randy Holmes-Farley http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php on saltwater parameters, 2.5-4.0meq/L is good. Stability is the big thing, don't want it to swing all the time.

And the chart is from Glassbox designs, if you Google alkalinity conversion chart there are several out there. [emoji106]

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something ain't right. I'd say chemistry as well. How w old is the tank? You shouldn't be getting any nitrite readings at all.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 50 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 57 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.1%
Back