themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is pretty solid advice!
Thank you.

It may have been if the assumptions were accurate. My understanding is that she started with a 30 gallon tank and now also has a 75 gallon tank that these fish are in.
I agree with Jen, whether 30 or 75 (which aren't all that different IMO), my point I think is pretty clear.

Yes but besides the fish he was talking about did the advice he gave matter on if it's a 30 gallon or 75 gallon? As far as getting good test kits, using rodi etc.....I was just trying to say he still has some good tips/advice that's all.
Thanks again.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Jen, whether 30 or 75 (which aren't all that different IMO), my point I think is pretty clear.

Your first paragraph had no advice in it. It was basically calling her out using information that wasn't accurate.

Your second paragraph had some excellent advice in it. However, because of the delivery, the correct message wasn't sent. Had you just left out the attack on her judgement the 2nd paragraph would have been much better received.

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your first paragraph had no advice in it. It was basically calling her out using information that wasn't accurate.

Your second paragraph had some excellent advice in it. However, because of the delivery, the correct message wasn't sent. Had you just left out the attack on her judgement the 2nd paragraph would have been much better received.

The history of her tank is important. It teaches us the mistakes that were made. By understanding that, we are able to help her move forward. If you don't agree, then to each its own.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The history of her tank is important. It teaches us the mistakes that were made. By understanding that, we are able to help her move forward. If you don't agree, then to each its own.
I don't disagree at all. However, on page 1 of the thread she stated that it was a 75 gallon tank. Getting the history right is important if you want to provide help. Especially if you plan on using that history to point out what they have done wrong.
I don't think anything in your first paragraph was over the top. To someone going through a stressful situation it obviously was. The advice does no good if the person is too put off to actually read it with an open mind by the time they get to it.

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't disagree at all. However, on page 1 of the thread she stated that it was a 75 gallon tank. Getting the history right is important if you want to provide help. Especially if you plan on using that history to point out what they have done wrong.
I don't think anything in your first paragraph was over the top. To someone going through a stressful situation it obviously was. The advice does no good if the person is too put off to actually read it with an open mind by the time they get to it.

I am not here to dispute with you. So I missed the 75 gallon post, whatever. Point being, the fish that had issues are a long list. I recall reading or seeing an Harlequin Tusk, Copperband butterfly, some wrasses, Purple tang, few clowns, think I seen a eng goby, a few blennies, cardinal fish, and I probably missed a couple. Anywho that is alot of fish whether in a 30 or 75, which if cared for properly wouldn't have gotten sick or died.

And that is the point I am trying to make. I think it is great @Sistawolf is here asking question and receiving help.

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sistawolf noticed you listed your phosphate as 8.2, a couple times (edit-or I just read the post a couple times, lol) .. That's really high. Not that it would hurt fish, but I'm just wondering if you may perhaps be mistaking a pH test as a phosphate test?

Phosphate is abbreviated PO4. So just wanted to check as I could see the pH easily reading 8.2, and the phosphate tests I have used didn't really have decimal readings at that range..
Yep.. your soooo correct.. lol hey at least I admit to being a moron haha

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand someone going back into my threads to see my history to help me with a present post. But as I stated.. I have a 55 g freshwater cichlid tank. A 30 gallon saltwater which is what i started with and yes had to many fish in, and yes.. made stupid beginner mistakes.. but still have this tank which is 2 months older than my now 75 gallon. In the 30 gallon. I am using it for pretty much my corals. Other than clean up crew I have two blue damsels, 1 black longnose tang, 1 snowflake eel, one maroon clown, one engineer goby, a red shrimp, arrowhead shrimp and that's it.. all survivors of the velvet that I BROUGHT into my tank from another stupid beginner mistake..1.buying from petco..2. No qt tank before adding him to my dt.. I also rescued or tried to rescue a fish from petco and placed him in my 10 gallon qt but that isn't mentioned..
what I'm trying to say is. Along with the tanks mentioned I have a 14 gallon biocube with coral and CUC with two royal grammas and a Caribbean star fish in it.. my 75 gallon has coral, bonded pair of snowflake clowns, one oselaris black clown, a Bristletooth Tomini Tang, a yellow tang, diamond goby, watchmen goby and clown goby (yes all of these get along great) and a domino damsel and a Caribbean star fish, arrow crab, sailfin blenny, of course CUC and three bubble tip anemones..
so when I ask a question or need advice. I usually mention the tank I am referring to..
@Dan McNertney I agree with @Brew12 as far as your advice. You did offer excellent advice in your second paragraph and maybe I took you wrong in your first paragraph, seeing as I was already stressed out, but again.. I appreciate your help.. I know that if I don't want to hear some bad with the good.. I shouldn't ask on a open forum.. I do appreciate those like @cowboy and @Humblefish for asking me full detail about the specific aquarium at hand so there is no confusion. And everyone pointing out things it could be because I read a test wrong or what have you. Once again... I would be worse off if I didn't get any replies regardless of how I like it or take it.. so now.. can we please move on haha.. well maybe when I find two minutes where I'm not working, doing a water change etc to redo my testing so I can post the results and take those pics for @cowboy (still haven't forgot) and stay on the topic with THIS 75 gallon tank.. as it may be the same regardless to some.. it's two totally different jobs all together for me. Two totally different homes.. I know.. I should sell these and get one huge home for all of the fish!! Haha that would definitely make this easier on me and no confusion for anyone here.. everyone have a blessed day.. have to run..

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You're not a moron, just relatively new to SW reefs & fishkeeping. I don't think most people appreciate just how complex this hobby is. There would probably be enough justification to create a 4 year curriculum out of it. ;) There is a steep learning curve to overcome.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can we please move on
Of course. Sounds like you have a much better outlook on it today! And my apologies for making it escalate more than it needed to.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you've been through a lot :) and sounds like to me your doing a good job. This hobby is so addicting and there many of us that jump in to fast with all good intentions. As you know there are so many people here that are willing and want to help and sometimes when the stress is at its highest ..... Well you know:rolleyes:. Don't give up, just slow down, believe me I know it's hard to do. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your tank(s) :)

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***, that is a lot of reading when you start at post 1 and are slightly over baked!
Is this the one about the nem? ( I got distracted by the handbags (English person) / purses flying? ;)
How big was the bag, a cup of tank water every how ever many minutes it was is too harsh to acclimate a nem, in my opinion, good luck and there are no stupid questions in this hobby, except the ones not asked. ;)

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've never made a mistake or poor judgement call. ;)

There's a big difference between being a moron and reading a test kit wrong. I mean, hospitals have to check name, age, address, and procedure with the patients, in addition to using markers to identify where they will be working. Mistakes happen. Just please be willing to reach out for an assist when you could use it. I surely do, though I now know enough that many of my questions can be answered with the search function.

PS: I firmly believe that much of the inconsistency of our test kits comes from inconsistent procedures, not inconsistent chemistry. Follow the directions to a tee with no distractions. If you question how many drops you put in, scrap it and start over.

And if you get a result that just seems wrong, wild, not right, or just out of line with what you expect, don't make any drastic changes. Breathe, think, and reach out to develop an action plan before doing anything.

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not a moron, just relatively new to SW reefs & fishkeeping. I don't think most people appreciate just how complex this hobby is. There would probably be enough justification to create a 4 year curriculum out of it. ;) There is a steep learning curve to overcome.
Yes and did we say "does not go well with OCD" hhaha

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you've been through a lot :) and sounds like to me your doing a good job. This hobby is so addicting and there many of us that jump in to fast with all good intentions. As you know there are so many people here that are willing and want to help and sometimes when the stress is at its highest ..... Well you know:rolleyes:. Don't give up, just slow down, believe me I know it's hard to do. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your tank(s) :)
Is there a better word for addicting? Hahah it's actaully ridiculous how addicting it is.. I'm broke and my house looks like a lfs.. haha from meds to pumps, skimmers, tanks, etc from upgrading.. haha funny. I need to post that pic!! Thank you for your comment..

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***, that is a lot of reading when you start at post 1 and are slightly over baked!
Is this the one about the nem? ( I got distracted by the handbags (English person) / purses flying? ;)
How big was the bag, a cup of tank water every how ever many minutes it was is too harsh to acclimate a nem, in my opinion, good luck and there are no stupid questions in this hobby, except the ones not asked. ;)
Hahha I agree. But the more post the merrier for me.. I appreciate anyone's input.. and yes.. it's about the nem. I now have a drip acclimation but at the time.. I read to let temp acclimate by floating in main. Remove and place bag it came with in a bucket and fold the top down adding a cup of main tank water every 4 mins until the bag is full.. and it was a normal bring home new fish bag. Not a tiny bag but not huge..

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never made a mistake or poor judgement call. ;)

There's a big difference between being a moron and reading a test kit wrong. I mean, hospitals have to check name, age, address, and procedure with the patients, in addition to using markers to identify where they will be working. Mistakes happen. Just please be willing to reach out for an assist when you could use it. I surely do, though I now know enough that many of my questions can be answered with the search function.

PS: I firmly believe that much of the inconsistency of our test kits comes from inconsistent procedures, not inconsistent chemistry. Follow the directions to a tee with no distractions. If you question how many drops you put in, scrap it and start over.

And if you get a result that just seems wrong, wild, not right, or just out of line with what you expect, don't make any drastic changes. Breathe, think, and reach out to develop an action plan before doing anything.
I like your way of approach! I mentioned above to @Humblefish about OCD! We have discussed how it is not good for this hobby. Because you can do to much. I have three test and each one I do at the very least twice before I say.. well that's it.. but the test are confusing.. giving a broad range for high alkalinity day like the Salifert reading from 50-100. I mean regardless it's to high. But it would be nice to get a real measurement of the actual levels. Red Sea uses a point amount. Like 3.2 for alk. What that is in ppm is beyond me..

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a test that exists with digital accurate readings for everything super important such as phosphates, alk, ammonia, nitrates and nitrites.. I know hanna has calcium mag and alk I do believe

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never drip acclimated an anemone and never lost an anemone secondary to not drip acclimating. Put anemone in container, slowly switch out store water for display water over the course of a half hour.

This is my third post in this thread, neither of my first two post were even acknowledged or answered. I am not even certain that was a BTA based on the images. You obviously have other anemones and are keeping them successfully, so your doing something right.

Use a conversion chart to assist with alkalinity values, just insert ppm and the chart will convert to what ever measurement you prefer, such as dkh.

https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/AlkConversion.php

I suggest putting up the money for a Hanna Checker.

Back