HELP WHAT SHOULD I DO

birddawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one of my clownfish has velvet. I have noticed him the last 24 hours not eating and breathing very heavy. I also recently lost a flasher wrasse and a fire fish. What should my next step be? I still have 1 other clownfish that is moving around well and eating and same with the other fire fish. Do I have to basically restart? I don’t know what to do and I don’t have the room or anything for a Quarantine tank. Someone please tell me what they next step should be

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any inverts?
If velvet, time is of the essence, but not common.
If ick, we got some room, and very common.

Can we see a video or at least pictures?

Correct diagnosis is key to what we can do.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one of my clownfish has velvet. I have noticed him the last 24 hours not eating and breathing very heavy. I also recently lost a flasher wrasse and a fire fish. What should my next step be? I still have 1 other clownfish that is moving around well and eating and same with the other fire fish. Do I have to basically restart? I don’t know what to do and I don’t have the room or anything for a Quarantine tank. Someone please tell me what they next step should be

To try and confirm velvet or not, we would need video and additional information. This link helps with that:

If it is truly velvet, you will not be able to treat it in a tank with invertebrates present....the primary treatment is coppersafe, but you can also use hydrogen peroxide dips (moving the fish to a new tank for three dips).

Jay

OP
OP
B

birddawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
He has like a slimy looking film around him. In a way like dust film. I don’t know how to get a good picture

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, a video of the fish swimming in the tank would be more helpful. More background information is also needed.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
image.jpg
He has like a slimy looking film around him. In a way like dust film. I don’t know how to get a good picture
A pic under white light- not red often helpful. Video moreso as requested. Preliminarily on my large screen looks like mucus film associated with brooklynella which often affects clowns. In addition, you may see decrease in appetite, heavy breathing and lethargic behavior including hiding in a corner.
For video, often You tube works

OP
OP
B

birddawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, a video of the fish swimming in the tank would be more helpful. More background information is also needed.

Jay
Let me know if that video loads, he is just floating vertically towards the top of the tank.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Let me know if that video loads, he is just floating vertically towards the top of the tank.
A little better . Fish does appear to have brooklynella but also I see it is quite thin.3Has it been eating? If so, what foods are you feeding ?
The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body which generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
A quarantine system if you dont have one can be as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essentials

OP
OP
B

birddawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should the FW dip be? Can I set up at cheap QT tank within the next 2 hours and put the fish in it? Where can I get the formalin from
A little better . Fish does appear to have brooklynella but also I see it is quite thin.3Has it been eating? If so, what foods are you feeding ?
The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body which generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
A quarantine system if you dont have one can be as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essentials

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How long should the FW dip be? Can I set up at cheap QT tank within the next 2 hours and put the fish in it? Where can I get the formalin from
5 mins in a clean container of tap water the same temperature as your display tank.
Formalin based product is very hard to find , reason I mentioned ruby Rally Pro. An alternative is chloroquine phosphate But Must be used precisely

OP
OP
B

birddawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 mins in a clean container of tap water the same temperature as your display tank.
Formalin based product is very hard to find , reason I mentioned ruby Rally Pro. An alternative is chloroquine phosphate But Must be used precisely
Since this I have gotten a small cheap QT setup and did a H202 dip for 30 min. I also does some Metroplex into the water. What would you recommend as to dosing that as I know it says 1-2 capfuls for 10 gallons, I am just trying to get your advice here. Is there anything I need to do??

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have dosed Metroplex and did a 30 min H202 dip
30 min FW dip - If so- excessive and am shocked fish is still alive If was freshwater. Metroplex not recommended and needs to be used precisely- again can impact fish.
Acriflavine, ruby rally Pro are your best bets.

OP
OP
B

birddawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 min FW dip - If so- excessive and am shocked fish is still alive If was freshwater. Metroplex not recommended and needs to be used precisely- again can impact fish.
Acriflavine, ruby rally Pro are your best bets.
Ok, I read up and people said metroplex would work. I can do a freshwater dip after I did a H202 dip??

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I read up and people said metroplex would work. I can do a freshwater dip after I did a H202 dip??
Metroplex does absolutely nothing for brook. You need formulin and all fish need to be treated in QT for 30 days. The tank needs to fallow for 76 days.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
H202 does not work either. Youre getting the advice you need. not sure why youre going with peroxide and metroplex. There is no formalin based and yes of FW dip for 5 minutes which offers temporary relief and is not a cure and Ruby rally is what you want.

OP
OP
B

birddawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H202 does not work either. Youre getting the advice you need. not sure why youre going with peroxide and metroplex. There is no formalin based and yes of FW dip for 5 minutes which offers temporary relief and is not a cure and Ruby rally is what you want.
Ok, last question if I don’t have RO water is tap water fine for a FW dip? Does Ruby Rally treat a lot of other diseases as well? Thank you again!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok, last question if I don’t have RO water is tap water fine for a FW dip? Does Ruby Rally treat a lot of other diseases as well? Thank you again!
Tap water is what you want. Ruby treats worms, flukes, bacterial, velvet, fin rot and more and is reef safe

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 150 75.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back