Help with ATO

ChicagoNanoGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Im setting up a tank it is aWaterBox20 , Hydra 26 , Nero5 cobalt heaters all that's left is a ATO units, Im starting a search , give me what you use and the pros and cons!

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro. Couldn't be more happy with it.

I can really only think of pros... the optical probe that sits in the tank/sump is about the size of a nickel and only about 3/8" thick. The probe is able to detect unusual events (like the sensor/pump running for much longer than the average topoff time) and will shut off automatically and sound an alarm. I've had a few cases over the years where snails have crawled onto the sensor and it has shut itself off automatically every time.

It comes with tubing and an ATO pump so it's pretty straightforward. All you need is a container for topoff water.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 3155 is super reliable. Mine has been running for 2 years no issues.

The Autoaqua Smart ATO is a good unitn also, and fits in nano tanks very well, but only has one sensor. It does have the timeout if the sensor fails it will turn the pump off if it notices it's been running for too long. I would still have one, but the controller box fell in the sump and it corroded beyond repair. I had no issues with it before that tho.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think any of the above suggestions will do you wrong. The questions I would considered if any of these is better suited for you would be:
  • Footprint - how much room do you have?
  • Cost
  • Redundancy
  • Newer tech
I personally have Smart ATO Micro, XP Aqua Ultimate ATO, XP Aqua Duetto Dual-Sensor and Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 across my nano tanks and all have worked well for me. Of the four I mentioned, Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 has the largest footprint within the tank. For nano tank, I would recommed the XP Aqua Ultimate ATO or XP Aqua Duetto Dual-Sensor just because of the footprint and latest tech. hth

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on the tunze boat too.

Mine has to be at least 5- 6 yo. It feeds into my kalk stirrer and has never failed me. It has even run dry plenty of times when I forgot to fill the ato tank.

It has an alarm when water gets to high, but the noise is sooo aggravating. But I guess that is the purpose of the warning.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back