Help with Clown Fish Fry

Arruna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone so I tried my hand at raising clown fry. I made it to 6 days with 8 fry and 7 days with 2. By day 8 I had none. Didnt even see bodies. So I wanted to get some tips on how to improve to keep them alive longer.

I have a 2 gal jug, filled with the water they came in (as they got bigger I was going to move them into a larger bucket) Should I have already done this??
Air stone, heater, and a small light 40lm
I add about 1/4 of my live rotifer population a day (~500k) I can still clearly see all the live rotifers in the tank
I did not tint the water they seemed fine without it being tinted and I was keeping a high rotifer population so didnt want to pollute the water more
Ammonia badge and Nitrate test kit read 0 (or as close to that as possible)
I was adding a small amount of TDO-A
I did water changes everyday - syphon out any dead on the bottom and a little extra with a turkey baster and then added back in just as much as I put in from the aquarium water they were born in and some RO water to help with the evaporation. (also has no detectable nitrate or ammonia)

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a long time ago when I raised clowns but you really need stability and dense enough rotifers so that the clown fish fry does not have to swim more than a body length to take the next bite. The tinted water is so that the rotifer are well fed and nutritious for the clown fry. Without food the rotifer isn’t good in nutrient for the fry. Also keeping them in buckets likely not stable enough to with small volume.10 gal minimal for me but a friend of mine raise them initially in 5 gal salt buckets.
Good luck, it take a time or two to get it down. Consider feeding rotifers with frozen phytoplankton from Reed Aquaculture instead of raising your own phytoplankton. It make my work much easier.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back