Help with clownfish.. close to giving up

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 16g biocube with two BUbble tip Nem’s... I started with two tiny ocellaris clowns. One killed the other... as the other grew I introduced two different tiny ocellaris at two different times and it killed both.... fast forward to now. I rehomed the mean clown and got a new “pair” of tiny black ocellaris clowns. (They were not cheap). Long story short, I came home today and one was dead. Last night I noticed it was being bullied but everything I read says this is normal but usually doesn’t result in one killing the other. The only other fish in this set up is a watchman goby, so it’s not a crowed set up.

What can I do to get this one remaining clown to pair with another. Or should I give up on trying to pair and just let it be?

image.jpg image.jpg

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your clowns, I have 6 clowns in two different tanks and never experienced that. Hopefully you can get a mated pair at some point

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get one of those really small “critter carriers”, put both clowns in it, plus a rock to weigh it down and put it on the bottom of the tank. The dominant clown will be thrown out of its element and will be just as confused as the new clown. Stressed clowns in a confined space are more likely to bond. Look at the LFS as a good example here. Give this a week and release them at the same time. Hopefully the dominant clown will forget about its old territory and will have nothing but memories of peacefully hanging out with the other clown. acclimation boxes can work wonders and so can taking an aggressive fish out of its comfort zone for a while.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Aggression causes stress which can lead to weakness, brook, heavy breathing and more.

OP
OP
Razorp

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get one of those really small “critter carriers”, put both clowns in it, plus a rock to weigh it down and put it on the bottom of the tank. The dominant clown will be thrown out of its element and will be just as confused as the new clown. Stressed clowns in a confined space are more likely to bond. Look at the LFS as a good example here. Give this a week and release them at the same time. Hopefully the dominant clown will forget about its old territory and will have nothing but memories of peacefully hanging out with the other clown. acclimation boxes can work wonders and so can taking an aggressive fish out of its comfort zone for a while.
That’s not a bad idea. I was going to order another small black clown and put it in an isolated breeder box so the other clown would watch him for a week or two from a distance. But perhaps your idea might work better

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that worked for me (which coincidentally happened by accident) was I had my first ocellaris for about a month, then ordered it a mate. She came in, and was significantly larger. This allowed for her to be more dominant without the territorial aggression. It took about 4 months on and off, but they’re finally officially paired and hosting a BTA. I’m sure it’s really frustrating, and I hope you have better luck in the future! (Side note, I really like your aquascape- not too much going on to clutter, but enough to keep your eyes moving.) Hopefully you can find a nice pair to inhabit it!

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not a bad idea. I was going to order another small black clown and put it in an isolated breeder box so the other clown would watch him for a week or two from a distance. But perhaps your idea might work better
I've heard of rearranging some rocks if you are introducing a new fish to a tank with an already established fish. This way they both feel like they're in a new tank(feel bad that fish fall for this trick)

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aggressive behavior could be due to lack of space? A 16 gal is a little small for a pair of clowns and 2 BTA IMHO. Maybe try some of the tiny gobies? Like a yasha or panda??

Last edited:

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ur gonna want tiny little clownfish. Since they are bred into whatever wash and color u want these days i dont see it being a problem getting little 1s...
Id just get a small net box for like breeding of baby fry and clip it to the side. Leave the fish in there for little bit to help... turn the lights off and new aquascape too yes! Just stress. Check ur salt levels and such too. Hths
D

OP
OP
Razorp

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of rearranging some rocks if you are introducing a new fish to a tank with an already established fish. This way they both feel like they're in a new tank(feel bad that fish fall for this trick)
I would try that, but these were brand new fish introduced at the same time.

OP
OP
Razorp

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ur gonna want tiny little clownfish. Since they are bred into whatever wash and color u want these days i dont see it being a problem getting little 1s...
Id just get a small net box for like breeding of baby fry and clip it to the side. Leave the fish in there for little bit to help... turn the lights off and new aquascape too yes! Just stress. Check ur salt levels and such too. Hths
D
Yeah these were both pretty small. Barely an inch . Think I’m going to try the breeder box. Salinity and all other levels are all good. Even re calibrated to double check

OP
OP
Razorp

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that worked for me (which coincidentally happened by accident) was I had my first ocellaris for about a month, then ordered it a mate. She came in, and was significantly larger. This allowed for her to be more dominant without the territorial aggression. It took about 4 months on and off, but they’re finally officially paired and hosting a BTA. I’m sure it’s really frustrating, and I hope you have better luck in the future! (Side note, I really like your aquascape- not too much going on to clutter, but enough to keep your eyes moving.) Hopefully you can find a nice pair to inhabit it!
Thank you! I hope so too!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back