Help with dinos in fluval evo

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would have had to actually run every single cell through the uv to kill them off in 48 hours. Which is an impossible thing to do to something microscopic without tearing the tank entirely apart.

OP
OP
BigOunce11

BigOunce11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)

we become the dentist, your rock is a bad tooth for now. Corals are gum zones we work around them by working in your sink like a reef dentist using dental tools and means.

peroxide

a rasp. Mines an old time pocket knife from 1979 it’s specifically better than other pocket knives :)

clean saltwater as the flush.

take the test area and detail it with steel. Debride, lift, scrape, be the urchin where it needs to be. Be saltwater flushing the scrapes and picks algae and dinos down the drain, you haven’t harmed corals and my dentist doesn’t rasp my gums too much, rasping is for adhered plaque and its force scraped out.

when your rock is harmlessly cleaned with steel and saltwater, apply drops of peroxide where the rock was scraped. This kills micro targets.

we never hurt your corals on test rock.

rinse test rock put back a perfect detail tooth into the evo jaw.
right so is a stiff nail brush any good? Also, does this work with the super super porous real reef rock- ive broken a few pieces of that up and im not sure its possible to remove detritus from all of it

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right so is a stiff nail brush any good? Also, does this work with the super super porous real reef rock- ive broken a few pieces of that up and im not sure its possible to remove detritus from all of it
You might have to use a turkey baster to get the crevices. Or fill them up with peroxide and rinse thoroughly afterwards.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no that wont do, bristles cannot dislodge anchors given time to bore into rock.

only whats stated and your detailing required by the porosity by the rock will do, in the order listed. we wouldnt flood anything with peroxide, we wouldnt customize reef surgery on your first go we'd only do what the last two pages did, that way I can claim safety in advising all this crazy stuff.

a knife point, small tiny up scrapes, take some rock with you as you dig, the dentist occasionally hits gums and we bleed, this teaches how hesitation impacts a nano reef.

this could have been fixed when the whole invasion was the size of your test rock and the rest of the tank was clean. give the time needed so that one test rock looks perfect due to a knife and some saltwater and some peroxide.

can't skip or customize, but thats only if you are really ready. customizations wont really harm anything, they'll just give you shortcuts so you can leave impacted waste in the rock :)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*this scraping level is more attuned for harsh attachments like brush algae

if you can't scrape 100% of this whispy var gone, dont mind it the peroxide will kill it for sure.

make rasping a huge part of time spent, learn your rocks detail and retention characters by working out of tank on it. see how deep the holdfasts go from the organism, do they rinse off fast? attach deep?

all applicable details for upscaling later on

one of these days some regular GHA is going to pop up, long after dinos are beaten.

clearly the fix for that can't be much different, how long it takes to apply the fix should be assessed. meanwhile, large tankers will certainly be posting pics of algae totally taking over reefs you can bet on that 100%.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigOunce11

BigOunce11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no that wont do, bristles cannot dislodge anchors given time to bore into rock.

only whats stated and your detailing required by the porosity by the rock will do, in the order listed. we wouldnt flood anything with peroxide, we wouldnt customize reef surgery on your first go we'd only do what the last two pages did, that way I can claim safety in advising all this crazy stuff.

a knife point, small tiny up scrapes, take some rock with you as you dig, the dentist occasionally hits gums and we bleed, this teaches how hesitation impacts a nano reef.

this could have been fixed when the whole invasion was the size of your test rock and the rest of the tank was clean. give the time needed so that one test rock looks perfect due to a knife and some saltwater and some peroxide.

can't skip or customize, but thats only if you are really ready. customizations wont really harm anything, they'll just give you shortcuts so you can leave impacted waste in the rock :)
OK but what about corals that are growing on the rock? I had a colony of zoas that had some weird other similar looking thing growing out of it that i am pretty sure wasnt aptasia, that i removed, but there are three heads that spread onto the rock that have survived. and my green zoas have spread all over the rocks and the main part is glued down very solidly

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% valid concerns, I have pm'd you a video of me draining my 14 yr nano, all corals rocks and sand, into the air for 30 mins and then refilling with all new water.

What you can do while being in the sink is dribble saltwater across corals to keep them wet, but they wont need it my video shows. Corals can be exposed to air it turns out, so before making these crazy claims I subjected my own reef which was not invaded to all the advised actions. sent.

yOdaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably because I know dinos don’t go away in 2 days. It was probably Cyanobacteria not dinos.
I didn’t have a microscope so I wasn’t 100% but with everything I read points me to dino. Long stringy brown snot with bubbles everywhere. Clear (but not clear) and gets worst through the day especially towards the end of the day with lights on. Did water changes thinking it would help but made it worst. I understand diatoms can take many forms as well. Anyway UV killed it whether it’s dino or diatoms. A $20 UV solved my problems and glad as well since I have a lot expensive corals I had loaded (dumb thing I did cause I was impatient).

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t have a microscope so I wasn’t 100% but with everything I read points me to dino. Long stringy brown snot with bubbles everywhere. Clear (but not clear) and gets worst through the day especially towards the end of the day with lights on. Did water changes thinking it would help but made it worst. I understand diatoms can take many forms as well. Anyway UV killed it whether it’s dino or diatoms. A $20 UV solved my problems and glad as well since I have a lot expensive corals I had loaded (dumb thing I did cause I was impatient).
That could very well have been diatoms.

OP
OP
BigOunce11

BigOunce11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% valid concerns, I have pm'd you a video of me draining my 14 yr nano, all corals rocks and sand, into the air for 30 mins and then refilling with all new water.

What you can do while being in the sink is dribble saltwater across corals to keep them wet, but they wont need it my video shows. Corals can be exposed to air it turns out, so before making these crazy claims I subjected my own reef which was not invaded to all the advised actions. sent.
Just as a point to consider, before adding this sand, which was live, i rinsed many times in clean saltwater until there was little to no clouding when disturbed, and its only been like two weeks, will ripping it actually be worth it?

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as a point to consider, before adding this sand, which was live, i rinsed many times in clean saltwater until there was little to no clouding when disturbed, and its only been like two weeks, will ripping it actually be worth it?
Doubtful. It would make more sense to siphon it out.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes its worth it. There's invader cells in there now and the sand will cloud if you disturb- test it in the tank. Both the rocks and sand have pent up waste, a covering of invader prevents expressing the waste naturally

The rip clean is bc the tank wouldn't pass clouding detritus assessment, though good job in starting pre rinsed

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the test rock first we should wait on RIP cleaning

It's the right move after test work to see if regrowth happens fast or slow

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

we are about to see how badly he wants his reef fixed, its like yours even though pics haven't been updated yet.

its all about the size of the reef, his is 20

20 gallons means full access

full access means can fix, overnite. deliberately fixed. patterns

200 gallons might not can be taken apart and cleaned...we'd test for every param under the sun, order a bunch of additives to see what might work without for-sure test modeling, we'd add new animals (bioloading) to hopefully eat the invader, total unsurety would follow.

small reefs never have to put up with all that. I dont think there is a single pico reef running online who has dinos or cyano issues, they practice early strict guidance (the smaller the reef, the easier full access guiding)

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigOunce11

BigOunce11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the test rock first we should wait on RIP cleaning

It's the right move after test work to see if regrowth happens fast or slow
[/QUOT

we are about to see how badly he wants his reef fixed, its like yours even though pics haven't been updated yet.

its all about the size of the reef, his is 20

20 gallons means full access

full access means can fix, overnite. deliberately fixed. patterns

200 gallons might not can be taken apart and cleaned...we'd test for every param under the sun, order a bunch of additives to see what might work without for-sure test modeling, we'd add new animals (bioloading) to hopefully eat the invader, total unsurety would follow.

small reefs never have to put up with all that. I dont think there is a single pico reef running online who has dinos or cyano issues, they practice early strict guidance (the smaller the reef, the easier full access guiding)
Just out of interest, what other systems, bar your one in a jar, do you keep?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all those tanks you see in that sand rinse work thread, they passed through me virtually lol or they'd be dead

actual reefs, just my vase. No other reef needed, its a crystal ball that tells me exactly how reefs work for sure and then we apply the tenets to large reefs so they can survive headache free.

12gallonsofhex is hesitating, wanting to keep the invasion. can he be wrested free from it? time w tell

all nano reef invasions are a matter of will...not biology, not chemistry.

applying or not applying a documented fix is a matter of choice only.

OP
OP
BigOunce11

BigOunce11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all those tanks you see in that sand rinse work thread, they passed through me virtually lol or they'd be dead

actual reefs, just my vase. No other reef needed, its a crystal ball that tells me exactly how reefs work for sure and then we apply the tenets to large reefs so they can survive headache free.

12gallonsofhex is hesitating, wanting to keep the invasion. can he be wrested free from it? time w tell

very well skater boy

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My tank is relatively small (45g) and I ran an even smaller tank awhile ago (24g) that both had dinos. Cleaning did nothing but upset the corals. I also have a Waterbox 130.4 that hasn’t had dinos yet. (Knock on wood)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's when you ran it, we didn't get hands on those tanks virtually to see it done with our details, that I recall

that being said, not every reef we worked stayed clear on 1 effort pass, that's admitted. we position a tank so it can be serviced in the future as a major benefit of the work.

*kill dinos and allow them to rot in the system was a major cause of cyano follow up work for us in our rinse thread*

planning ahead is also ok, in tank restorations

Hex's reef turned out not to be invaded in the very least whatsoever, he was beginning his journey mighty early on/wow reef. what I thought would be a full tank issue turned out to be a totally clean reef in pics that only he can see the invader in person lol. now that's when to start shopping opinions for sure...before the challenge.

his thread turns out to be a neat example of early start prevention care, but not restoration.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back