Help with Fluval evo lighting schedule

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am a couple months into my first tank a Fluval evo 13.5g. It has 2 clowns and a cuc now.

I am planning on getting my first corals today, some zoas and am pretty excited. I have been keeping the lights mostly off so far to help with the uglies, just turning them on manually when wanting to view the tank, but since I’m getting corals today I ordered the nicrew timer to ramp up and down the lights. I am having trouble deciding on what a good schedule is.

The stock lighting can either be white and blues, blue only or off. You cannot control white and blues separately unfortunately. I read one post that if I set the intensity on the timer at 3% the whites are so dim it’s as if it’s only blues on which would be nice for viewing so some people start and end the day at 3%, which sounds nice to me but I am unsure if I should even count that towards the total time lights are on as 3% intensity seems like practically nothing.

So I am having a bit of trouble coming up with a good lighting schedule, my main 2 things I am confused with is if I do 3% for the first and last hour should that even count towards total time?

second is how long of the day should I have it at 100% intensity? I was trying to play around with a schedule of

8am to 9am: on to 3%
9am to 10am: 3% ramps to80%
10am to 11am: 80% ramps to 100%

stays at 100% until 5pm

5pm to 6pm: 100% ramps down to 80%
6pm to 7pm:80% ramps down to 3%
7pm to 8pm: 3% then off

This gives me 6hours at 100%, my main concern is that the stock lighting isn’t the strongest and I dont know if that’s enough.

I am quite the beginner at this still so any advice is greatly appreciated.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same timer…..I set mine to start at 1% at around 7am then ramp up to 25% set to at around 9 then to 50% at around 11am peaked at 100% at noon for about 4 hours then reverse the schedule. Lights out are at about 8:30. About a 12hr schedule total. Seemed to do ok. I upgraded to the 16hd almost instantly so I couldn’t tell you which corals work with the light but, If you google evo 13.5 stock light coral capabilities you’ll find peeps who have good success with coral and the stock light. One more thing. If you can put that nicrew timer on some kinda ups backup it would save you some frustration. Even small grid blips of lost power always clears current time, luckily, the timer holds its schedule memory and all you gotta do is enter correct time again.

OP
OP
P

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same timer…..I set mine to start at 1% at around 7am then ramp up to 25% set to at around 9 then to 50% at around 11am peaked at 100% at noon for about 4 hours then reverse the schedule. Lights out are at about 8:30. About a 12hr schedule total. Seemed to do ok. I upgraded to the 16hd almost instantly so I couldn’t tell you which corals work with the light but, If you google evo 13.5 stock light coral capabilities you’ll find peeps who have good success with coral and the stock light. One more thing. If you can put that nicrew timer on some kinda ups backup it would save you some frustration. Even small grid blips of lost power always clears current time, luckily, the timer holds its schedule memory and all you gotta do is enter correct time again.
Thanks for the tip on the back up, I’ll definitely keep that in mind.

I’ve read up on what corals work with the stock lighting. I’m just unsure if the schedule I planned is enough. For example if I’ll see an article say 8-10 hours of light is needed for the corals it’s not clear to me if this means 8-10 hours of the light at 100% or that 8-10 hours is including a gradual ramp up / down

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip on the back up, I’ll definitely keep that in mind.

I’ve read up on what corals work with the stock lighting. I’m just unsure if the schedule I planned is enough. For example if I’ll see an article say 8-10 hours of light is needed for the corals it’s not clear to me if this means 8-10 hours of the light at 100% or that 8-10 hours is including a gradual ramp up / down
Typically, 4-6 hrs of 100% is suffice. If I’m not mistaken, 8-10 hrs at full on is ok. You can always stretch or reduce the 100% setting timeline to your liking based on how your corals are reacting to the light.

OP
OP
P

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, 4-6 hrs of 100% is suffice. If I’m not mistaken, 8-10 hrs at full on is ok. You can always stretch or reduce the 100% setting timeline to your liking based on how your corals are reacting to the light.
Perfect thank you for the clarification!

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few evos an one with the stock lighting still… it’s a pretty weak light so you can ramp up to a 100% after an hour and ramp back down an hour before sunset

OP
OP
P

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few evos an one with the stock lighting still… it’s a pretty weak light so you can ramp up to a 100% after an hour and ramp back down an hour before sunset
How long would you recommend it being at 100% for?

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stock light can actually grow easy sps no problem like stylo, monti ect….
Is it my preference no, but can and is done np
never said it couldn't i said i would not trust it, it might keep them alive i don't think much growing would be done

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back