Help with Green Slimer Calyphastrea

Foggy Pirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Any ideas what the white spot is in my coral. This coral has been healthy and spreading for months. The past two nights iv come home there small bristle worms
On the same rock as it but have been told until there large or many of them they should be a big deal. I will include a log of
My water parameters, they last tests aren’t on there they are in my email but will transfer them at a later date as when I got them tested they ran same as what they have been so….. any ideas?

E7FBC09B-FF4F-4247-A8DC-4BFCB531A9FB.jpeg F4E193F3-BB58-4188-BA45-13DC744450F6.jpeg 80A90055-7847-4CE1-8FD5-114B435EC51B.jpeg EE561E3E-B7FE-428A-8528-F33B66FC812F.jpeg

OP
OP
Foggy Pirate

Foggy Pirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could something have fallen on it? Picture 2 upper right object? Good luck.
No Iv placed that rock down there, it’s a nano tank and that small chunk is a rock laying on its side, it def didn’t touch it nor had it moved. I should have taken a further away picture my bad

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have older pictures of that coral? Was there maybe a tubeworm or something there that the coral grew over and a hermit or something snipped off a tasty snack?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly parameter swing like alk casing tissue to die. Your parameters seem to be all over the place. I would focus on getting that in line because regardless if there is something else wrong here it will help.

OP
OP
Foggy Pirate

Foggy Pirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly parameter swing like alk casing tissue to die. Your parameters seem to be all over the place. I would focus on getting that in line because regardless if there is something else wrong here it will help.
ok. I tried to write small let’s next to my result cause I’m using different test kits. And some are very constiant. Like with my calcium Hanna, every time it’s about 540- my lfs api is 320 ish and they said it comes in low and my Red Sea is 420 ish. So that might be what your seeing. Iv only had one alkalinity spike in the past from 9-11 and it killed half my ephillua :( . Dude quality dosers are so expensive I have 2 75$ ones running to part and the connections are such crap :/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. I tried to write small let’s next to my result cause I’m using different test kits. And some are very constiant. Like with my calcium Hanna, every time it’s about 540- my lfs api is 320 ish and they said it comes in low and my Red Sea is 420 ish. So that might be what your seeing. Iv only had one alkalinity spike in the past from 9-11 and it killed half my ephillua :( . Dude quality dosers are so expensive I have 2 75$ ones running to part and the connections are such crap :/
I would stick to just using one test kit and doing it yourself so you know the test is done the same way every time. Something is up with your testing because even using different test kits you shouldn’t be seeing around a 200ppm difference in calcium between them. You say you have only had one spike in alk but your alk is all over the place. As long as it’s not quick it’s not a big deal but never settling in at a stable level can’t be good long term for the corals. I don’t think that unless these changes are happening fast that is the issue with this coral but it could be just from constantly being at different parameters.

On the topic of dosing pumps nothing in this hobby is cheap. A dosing pump might be one of the cheapest parts if you go with a jebao 4 channel or just two decent single channel pumps. You also say you lost a bunch of euphyllia I’m willing to bet cost more than a good 3-4 channel dosed so keep that in mind when considering if a piece of gear is worth it to spend the money on. I’m in that situation myself. Pretty much stopped buying corals to really dial in everything. Pretty sure kamoer makes single channel ones for around 100, brs is slightly cheaper and the jebao 2 and 4 channel ones are on either side of 100. I have heard and seen lots of good things about both those brands pumps so might be worth looking at.

Hopefully someone will chime in about the coral but I figured the parameter stability was worth mentioning just for your general tank health. Best of luck getting this figured/sorted out.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed no phosphate results either? Do you just not record them or do you not test for it? Again I doubt it’s related to this issue but never a bad thing to be monitoring.

OP
OP
Foggy Pirate

Foggy Pirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed no phosphate results either? Do you just not record them or do you not test for it? Again I doubt it’s related to this issue but never a bad thing to be monitoring.
So they are written in the margin on the right, I don’t have a test so I only have records when I have the lfs do it

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they are written in the margin on the right, I don’t have a test so I only have records when I have the lfs do it
Buy your own kits trust me having an lfs test your water is not a high success rate strategy.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back