Help With Iodine

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been testing my water for iodine and its too high .09+

Is my only option water changes?

Is there an absorbent.

I know I have to find the source but I fixed all the other water parameters according to the Triton Test and hate to start all over again.

Gene

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, no matter the form it takes, 0.09 ppm iodine is not high enough to warrant any action aside from not specifically dosing iodine (IMO).

How did you test it?

If it is with the Triton test (as this is their forum), then it is not clear what form you have, so one cannot conclude how to lower it, but IMO, I do not think it worth the trouble to worry about.

The Triton method picks up all forms, and some folks get extremely high readings (>10 times yours) and do not have any apparent problem. I'm not sure if it is a testing error of some sort (Ehsan says high phosphate can interfere with their iodine testing), or be real but be from forms that are not usually picked up with kits (organic iodine compounds, for example), but NEVER have I heard of someone with excessive iodine using an iodide or iodate specific kit, and who was not dosing it.

So, IMO, if you hare not dosing iodine, there's no big concern that you have excessive iodide or iodate, nor that the levels are high enough to be causing a problem. If you are dosing iodine, just stop. :)

OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, no matter the form it takes, 0.09 ppm iodine is not high enough to warrant any action aside from not specifically dosing iodine (IMO).

How did you test it?

If it is with the Triton test (as this is their forum), then it is not clear what form you have, so one cannot conclude how to lower it, but IMO, I do not think it worth the trouble to worry about.

The Triton method picks up all forms, and some folks get extremely high readings (>10 times yours) and do not have any apparent problem. I'm not sure if it is a testing error of some sort (Ehsan says high phosphate can interfere with their iodine testing), or be real but be from forms that are not usually picked up with kits (organic iodine compounds, for example), but NEVER have I heard of someone with excessive iodine using an iodide or iodate specific kit, and who was not dosing it.

So, IMO, if you hare not dosing iodine, there's no big concern that you have excessive iodide or iodate, nor that the levels are high enough to be causing a problem. If you are dosing iodine, just stop. :)

Thanks Randy

The Triton readings were I 2288.00 ug/l
Phosphate readings were good.
I bought a Red Sea Iodine test kit. The kit measures up to .09 and the color tells me the iodine is a lot more than .09+.
The Seriatopora hystrix corals are rally growing fast but most of the other corals seem to be adapting to unfavorable conditions?

Ill just make sure no more iodine enters the system.

Gene

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy

The Triton readings were I 2288.00 ug/l
Phosphate readings were good.
I bought a Red Sea Iodine test kit. The kit measures up to .09 and the color tells me the iodine is a lot more than .09+.
The Seriatopora hystrix corals are rally growing fast but most of the other corals seem to be adapting to unfavorable conditions?

Ill just make sure no more iodine enters the system.

Gene

Have you been dosing iodine?

Can you do a very interesting experiment for us?

Can you take some RO/DI water and dilute the tank water 1:1 and see what you get for an iodide reading with the kit? If still maxed out, can you dilute 2:1, etc.?

I'd really like to understand the issue where Triton gets such whopping iodine values. Yours, at 2.3 ppm, is the highest I've seen, but I've seen a bunch over 1 ppm. :)

OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been dosing iodine?

Can you do a very interesting experiment for us?

Can you take some RO/DI water and dilute the tank water 1:1 and see what you get for an iodide reading with the kit? If still maxed out, can you dilute 2:1, etc.?

I'd really like to understand the issue where Triton gets such whopping iodine values. Yours, at 2.3 ppm, is the highest I've seen, but I've seen a bunch over 1 ppm. :)

Brightwell Iodine and Purple Up was dosed before I learned of the Triton Method.

There is a 4â€-5†old deep sand bed in the main tank 120g.

After the Triton test 4 15% water changes were done.

Red Sea
Iodine Pro test kit

Test #1

2.5ml of RO/DI + 2.5ml tank water = 5ml for the test sample

The two vials were floated in the tank for 10min so all was at the same temp

Results; > .09 the sample became totally clear.

Test #2

4ml of RO/DI + 1ml tank water = 5ml test sample

Results; > .09

Test #3

4.7ml of Ro/DI + .3ml tank water = 5ml test sample

Results; .03

Gene

Back