Help with Micro Lord and Blastos

Pythegu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having some serious issues with my Micro Lords and Blastos. I've NEVER had issues with these before. Now I'm beyond frustrated.

Everything is on a plug or tile in a frag tank style set up.

Have 2 Kessil A360X over head 12" from water and coral is 6" from surface of water. 4'x2' area. If anyone has an idea on what I should set these to I would be all ears.

Right now I'm doing 2 hours blue - 4hours 50% Color - 2 hours blue. 35% intensity all around. Need to test par again, but should be between 50-80. Any kessil pros out there with insight... I'm all ears.

I was at 160 PAR I have dialed it back significantly. I had 1 Kessil A360x over this tank and everything looked great (about 100 par). I added a blue light bar (60 watts Orphek OR2) and that was the start of some issues. So I took that off and now instead of running 1 kessil at 100%, I am running 2 at 35%

Parameters:
450 | 9.5 | 1350-1400 | .08ppm (was .04ppm) | 5ppm (recently was close to 0)

So. On certain colonies the poylps are half the normal size. Other colonies the poylps on top are almost completely gone, or VERY sucked in. Usually my Lords stretch out and have tentacles showing, but currently they are pretty tight and don't have their tentacles out. Typically my Blastos are out and about but they are like 30% their normal size. Almost all my Lords were rainbows, now most have turned red. And green Lords have turned VERY dark.

I had a dino problem so I treated with Dino X. Got rid of my problem in 4 days. So I did a 20% water changes every week for 4 weeks to get most of it out. Added a small package of carbon to remove the rest.

What I think I did was take out all my nutrients (no fish). Combined with my higher light gave me all sorts of issues. In my opinion (which may be wrong) I need to dirty up the water. So I've been adding LOTS of Aminos (reef energy) and been adding 2 teaspoons benepets every day (200 gallon system). Haven't seen ANY algae growth despite 3x dosing Reef energy a & b almost every day for a week. I've been feeding finely chopped LRS Reef Frenzy to those that will take it. Those that don't I spray the food off of after about 30 minutes.

Anyways I'm upset. Need advice. Losing sleep.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having some serious issues with my Micro Lords and Blastos. I've NEVER had issues with these before. Now I'm beyond frustrated.

Everything is on a plug or tile in a frag tank style set up.

Have 2 Kessil A360X over head 12" from water and coral is 6" from surface of water. 4'x2' area. If anyone has an idea on what I should set these to I would be all ears.

Right now I'm doing 2 hours blue - 4hours 50% Color - 2 hours blue. 35% intensity all around. Need to test par again, but should be between 50-80. Any kessil pros out there with insight... I'm all ears.

I was at 160 PAR I have dialed it back significantly. I had 1 Kessil A360x over this tank and everything looked great (about 100 par). I added a blue light bar (60 watts Orphek OR2) and that was the start of some issues. So I took that off and now instead of running 1 kessil at 100%, I am running 2 at 35%

Parameters:
450 | 9.5 | 1350-1400 | .08ppm (was .04ppm) | 5ppm (recently was close to 0)

So. On certain colonies the poylps are half the normal size. Other colonies the poylps on top are almost completely gone, or VERY sucked in. Usually my Lords stretch out and have tentacles showing, but currently they are pretty tight and don't have their tentacles out. Typically my Blastos are out and about but they are like 30% their normal size. Almost all my Lords were rainbows, now most have turned red. And green Lords have turned VERY dark.

I had a dino problem so I treated with Dino X. Got rid of my problem in 4 days. So I did a 20% water changes every week for 4 weeks to get most of it out. Added a small package of carbon to remove the rest.

What I think I did was take out all my nutrients (no fish). Combined with my higher light gave me all sorts of issues. In my opinion (which may be wrong) I need to dirty up the water. So I've been adding LOTS of Aminos (reef energy) and been adding 2 teaspoons benepets every day (200 gallon system). Haven't seen ANY algae growth despite 3x dosing Reef energy a & b almost every day for a week. I've been feeding finely chopped LRS Reef Frenzy to those that will take it. Those that don't I spray the food off of after about 30 minutes.

Anyways I'm upset. Need advice. Losing sleep.
Do you have fish in there now? If this is sudden struggles I suggest testing everything or target feeding. I am struggling too due to an algae caused low nutrients issue and it looks a tick better daily.

OP
OP
P

Pythegu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have fish in there now? If this is sudden struggles I suggest testing everything or target feeding. I am struggling too due to an algae caused low nutrients issue and it looks a tick better daily.

I have been target feeding yes. Some eat, and some look at it like I ran their dog over (don't eat).

There's no fish of any substantial size or quantity.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 61 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back