Help with mixing station siphon

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just built a mixing station for ATO/AWC using 55 gal brute cans controlled via Apex ATK/Dos/Solenoids. It works but when the pump runs dry when filling from RO to salt container, the pump shuts off and the Salt container back siphons into the RO can.

I realize I can fix this by putting the fill pipe above the water line in the salt can, but then it won’t mix the salt at the bottom as well and I would prefer not to add another powerhead

Would I be better off drilling a small hole in the pipe inside the salt container to serve as a siphon break, or should I use check valves? Is there a better solution I’m not thinking of?

Also when I turn off the pump, if there’s salt water in the tubes, I’m concerned it will back flow into the RO container. I think if the water level is higher in the RO container it won’t back flow but I’m concerned about getting salt into the RO bin. I assume a check valve would solve this as well?

IMG_0283.jpeg IMG_0284.jpeg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill a hole to fix the back siphon issue when the pump shuts off.
3120428-ea36c89002249ff2f0297fe4ecaae9c3.jpg

After making your salt water and say for example its full and mixing, while your RO bin is empty and filling, the ball valve should be shut on the RO line so there is no chance of salt water getting in.

Once you turn the pump off, use the salt water up and its time to refill the salt bin with RO, you would close your salt bin ball valve by the drain, turn on the pump and open the RO ball valve to start filling again.
even if you didnt activate pump before opening valve, the salt bin will be empty and RO full so u shouldnt have an issue with saltwater in the RO bin.

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt worry about needing check valves unless you were in a situation where you needed to prevent backflow without a siphon break or in your case, without closing a valve.
The issue is that if I don’t watch it closely the pump shuts off when dry so I can’t close the valve before the siphon starts. Does the siphon break instantly stop the siphon or does a little back flow before it breaks?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back