help with mounting a hob skimmer

crocodile receptionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a Coralife 65 Skimmer and I had it running for a day or 2 when I realized it had to be mounted higher. I read that the pump in the tank must be 2-3 inches below the waterline for it to work properly. I have it set up just hanging on the back but I am wondering how I can raise it up higher. Here is a photo of the problem I am having. Let me know if you guys think of anything to do. Thanks!!!

IMG_1205.jpeg IMG_1203.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,can you shorten hose on pump to skimmer,i have used many,never raised body.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you cut off some of the tubing going down to the pump???

Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 12.00.19 AM.png

That way the pump would be higher after the extra tubing was cut off.

Or, lower your water level.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will cut it and let you know how it works, and would you not recommend raising the whole skimmer?

Yeah,
I'm with @fishguy242 on trimming back the pump's hose.

Just remember that it can take a while for a new skimmer to break in (settle down to dial-in) and longer on a new setup. It needs time to build up a good slim coat on the inside.

OP
OP
crocodile receptionist

crocodile receptionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah,
I'm with @fishguy242 on trimming back the pump's hose.

Just remember that it can take a while for a new skimmer to break in (settle down to dial-in) and longer on a new setup. It needs time to build up a good slim coat on the inside.
Thank you all for the advice, I just trimmed it down. Currently, it is not producing any bubbles, how long does this usually take?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the advice, I just trimmed it down. Currently, it is not producing any bubbles, how long does this usually take?

Is your air intake line attached in the correct manner?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
or possible clog in venturi intake.careful they tend to snap off pretty easy,just a pipe cleaner will do.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
INITIAL OPERATION 1. Plug water pump (650 - 750 gph) into an outlet or power source. NOTE: Inspect connections for leaks and make sure that the water is flowing through the unit.

2. Adjust the water-level adjustment dial so that the micro-bubbles are below the collection cup cone. Let the pump run for 24 - 72 hours to “break-in” the unit.

(5.1) Use flow control valve for coarse water level adjustment with Model 65.

Use water level adjustment dial for fine adjustment. NOTE: Initial operation of protein skimmer may produce excess bubbles and waste. Allow collection cup to fill-up and discard waste-water until production decreases.

OPERATION 1. Turn water-level adjustment dial to raise water level within the main chamber and cone to desired skimming operation.

DRY SKIMMING OPERATION (5.2) 1. Adjust micro-bubbles to .25" - .75" high inside collection cup cone. NOTE: Dry skimming will produce a dense foam layer that rises to the top of the cone where it collects until the dry foam overflows into the collection cup. RESULTS: 1. Dry foam (froth) 2. Dark, concentrated waste material (Less Volume)

WET SKIMMING OPERATION (5.3) 1. Adjust micro-bubbles to .75" - 3" high inside collection cup cone. NOTE: Wet skimming will produce a thin bubble layer that rises to the collection cup lid where it bursts and slides down the collection cup as wet wastewater. RESULTS: 1. Wet foam 2. Light, diluted waste material (More Volume)

OP
OP
crocodile receptionist

crocodile receptionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
INITIAL OPERATION 1. Plug water pump (650 - 750 gph) into an outlet or power source. NOTE: Inspect connections for leaks and make sure that the water is flowing through the unit.

2. Adjust the water-level adjustment dial so that the micro-bubbles are below the collection cup cone. Let the pump run for 24 - 72 hours to “break-in” the unit.

(5.1) Use flow control valve for coarse water level adjustment with Model 65.

Use water level adjustment dial for fine adjustment. NOTE: Initial operation of protein skimmer may produce excess bubbles and waste. Allow collection cup to fill-up and discard waste-water until production decreases.

OPERATION 1. Turn water-level adjustment dial to raise water level within the main chamber and cone to desired skimming operation.

DRY SKIMMING OPERATION (5.2) 1. Adjust micro-bubbles to .25" - .75" high inside collection cup cone. NOTE: Dry skimming will produce a dense foam layer that rises to the top of the cone where it collects until the dry foam overflows into the collection cup. RESULTS: 1. Dry foam (froth) 2. Dark, concentrated waste material (Less Volume)

WET SKIMMING OPERATION (5.3) 1. Adjust micro-bubbles to .75" - 3" high inside collection cup cone. NOTE: Wet skimming will produce a thin bubble layer that rises to the collection cup lid where it bursts and slides down the collection cup as wet wastewater. RESULTS: 1. Wet foam 2. Light, diluted waste material (More Volume)
Thank you so much for all of that info! The skimmer was working fine for 1 day and producing bubbles but now it won't produce any. I turned it off for a day becasue I was not going to be home and I read that they can overflow easily the first couple of days. for some reason it just won't produce bubbles unless I blow into the tube, I see an air gap that's about 2 inches inside the tube. Could that be the issue?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,check for crack at venturi inlet.
does it rattle on start up? possibly needs impeller??

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
if it is not getting air ,and intake is clean ,leaning to impeller,
if can the octopus hob series are great skimmers ,they do not over flow ;)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for all of that info! The skimmer was working fine for 1 day and producing bubbles but now it won't produce any. I turned it off for a day becasue I was not going to be home and I read that they can overflow easily the first couple of days. for some reason it just won't produce bubbles unless I blow into the tube, I see an air gap that's about 2 inches inside the tube. Could that be the issue?

Post #1 seems to be identical to what you're experiencing

I'd try out the OP's solution and the other's feedback inside that thread.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back