Help with my Anemone..

Jason Briggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I'm asking on another thread, but they suggested I post here.. I'm new... so here it goes.

I have an unknown anemone that has possibly been pointed out as a bubble tip. It was sold to me like it is now a few weeks ago as a bulb anemone. No other information, no color or specifics.. I thought it to be strange, but it wasn't the usual guy that I deal with and trust (yes I know only to deal with the guy I should have now).. anyway.. those who have seen the picture so far have said severely bleached bubble tip.. he seems to be eating well now (didn't for the first 10 days at all.. I waited the first week, and it ignored food until I tried again on day 10.). I'm curious on what I can do to nurse it back to health. Specifics.. I'm also wondering if I should add any supplement to the tank as far as plankton or any vitamins? I can pick stuff up tomorrow. He's eating silverside chunks. maybe a 1/4" cut piece two days in a row now.

click here --> link to my other thread below so that I'm not to post the same picture all over the place.

I posted my tank stats below also.. If I leave anything out or you need more info please let me know asap.

Thanks for the help or suggestions in advance!

40Gal Breeder Tank - Canister Filter for Carbon, Hang on back Protein Skimmer, and two Hydor Circulation Pumps, and 2(two) Fulval 27W LED Saltwater Reef Lights.

40 lbs Fiji Sand
130-150 lbs Live Reef Rock
3 PJ Cardinals
2 Ocellaris Clowns
2 Sea Snails
5 (started with 10) hermit crabs
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 LTA
1 Frogspawn
1 Currently unknown anemone (another thread to help with identification)
1 Group of 3 Candy Corals

OP
OP
Jason Briggs

Jason Briggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to post the picture anyway..
20150801_192049.jpg

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh badly bleached.
thanks for posting what is in the tank but what are all the specs of the water?

OP
OP
Jason Briggs

Jason Briggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those I am unsure of at this moment. I need more testing chems which I'm planning on picking up tomorrow. I'll have to test it then to give you exact numbers.. I don't think my freshwater kit will work right?

OP
OP
Jason Briggs

Jason Briggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last check at the local pet store a week ago was all levels normal, but they didn't give me exact numbers.. I know that probably doesn't help as numbers can change so rapidly.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No that won't work.
I recommend the red sea algae control kit
so here is the thing..
it has lost it zooxanthellae witch is its primary food source.
conditions must be met if there is hope for it to bounce back.
don't over feed or you can make conditions worse.
need to know no3 and po4

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 great advice
Keep a very watchful eye on it as well. I've noticed when bta's get bleached out they tend to roam and or just let go of the rock and float around. Then they meet mister powerhead. Not good at all, can you cover your Powerheads with foam?

OP
OP
Jason Briggs

Jason Briggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on Jason and welcome to R2R!!

potentially I can cover the Hydors......

so the tanks water parameters...

Phosphates - 0.25

Nitrates - 30-40 ppm.. I'm doing a 50% water change to knock that right down....

I also have bought some stuff to increase the water volume by creating a custom sump-ish pod system for another 20 gallons... I'm also grabbing a 75 gallon tank(free) which is drilled tomorrow that I can transfer this tank to when I get it setup.

The BTA is twice as tall today from yesterday.. I'm going to build an area up so that it's 50% closer to the surface (unless it's not a good idea). Right now the BTA is approximately 2/3rds the way down from the surface...

OP
OP
Jason Briggs

Jason Briggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also re-verified the reading following a water change...

Phosphates - 0.0 - 0.25

Nitrates - 0-5 ppm

Now I've also moved the BTA to 1/2 way up the water depth ( from 2/3 to 3/4 deep previously) in hopes that slightly more light will be beneficial.

I'm doing a ton of lighting comparison. I'm leaning toward the thought that I don't have strong enough lights.. I'm looking at replacing my 27W led's (Fluval Aquasky LED) with
CURRENT USA ORBIT MARINE LED AQUARIUM FIXTURE 36"-48" - 35W.

If you have any suggestions for lighting that is better in the $200 and under per fixture please let me know.

OP
OP
Jason Briggs

Jason Briggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does users on here shop online for supplies? Our local places don't have huge varieties of things, some of that I wonder if it's from experience and knowing that a lot of the stuff is just fluff, or just that there is just so much stuff that they can't stock it since it'll be sat on for who knows how long?

jasonandsarah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does users on here shop online for supplies? Our local places don't have huge varieties of things, some of that I wonder if it's from experience and knowing that a lot of the stuff is just fluff, or just that there is just so much stuff that they can't stock it since it'll be sat on for who knows how long?
Just to name a few lol....
Bulk reef supply
Dr. Foster and smith's
Marine depot
Salty critters
Pet solutions
Aquarium specialty
Saltwater aquarium
Fragtastic reef
Pet solutions
Ebay and Amazon can be good as well.

You should always check out R2R sponsors for great deals first though. Support the ones that support us whenever you can. Hope I didn't leave out to many important ones.

Mandar Joshi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi pls tell me what kind of anemone is this?
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438640538.873618.jpg
is this a hithacker? I got this when i bought some zoa corals.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438640595.244476.jpg
pls help me out

OP
OP
Jason Briggs

Jason Briggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
twillard, are there any other 'to do' items for helping my anemone? I didn't see any response to my nitrate and phosphate levels.

jasonandsarah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi pls tell me what kind of anemone is this?
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438640538.873618.jpg
is this a hithacker? I got this when i bought some zoa corals.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438640595.244476.jpg
pls help me out
How big/small is it? Looks like you took a close up pic of it? If it's a hitchhiker and smaller I'd say it's most likely a majano and if so you should get rid of it quickly!
http://www.melevsreef.com/node/477

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back