Help with overflow box

vissen319

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I probably should have posted it here in DIY section but I was not sure where it may fit in. I was wondering what was the best way to move forward with this problem and if you had any insights, that would be great.

Here is original post.

Since yesterday, it is now making a horrible gurgling sound due to the water level not being enough. Should I close the gate valve on the drain section to increase the liquid level inside the overflow?

I also did a test with a water pump where i pumped water from the main display area to the overflow chamber, and the water level increased by one marking. So that points to more flow needed. I should probably cut out that black acrylic panel. I got a dremel bit to do that for the weekend.

Thank you for your help!

Jivatma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closing the valve a little on the primary drain line should raise the water level in your overflow box.

It sounds like youre draining faster than youre pumping, hence closing the primary drain line. Just don't close it too much and cause an overflow. Your emergency drain line should either be completely dry, or just the tiniest trickle.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your photos it looks like the water level in the back chamber is lower than the front.

If that is the case, then you are likely correct about needing to open up more flow from the display to the back chamber.

Dremeling out some more notches would work, you could also find a powerhead that fits the open port from the old AIO return, but then you have another visible pump so.....

OP
OP
V

vissen319

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closing the valve a little on the primary drain line should raise the water level in your overflow box.

It sounds like youre draining faster than youre pumping, hence closing the primary drain line. Just don't close it too much and cause an overflow. Your emergency drain line should either be completely dry, or just the tiniest trickle.
Thank you! Yes i may dial it down a little bit.

Unfortunately this size overflow (at least this model) has only one primary drain. Once everything is set, i am going to install an optical switch to cut off the return pump if the water level is rising in the display tank.

OP
OP
V

vissen319

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your photos it looks like the water level in the back chamber is lower than the front.

If that is the case, then you are likely correct about needing to open up more flow from the display to the back chamber.

Dremeling out some more notches would work, you could also find a powerhead that fits the open port from the old AIO return, but then you have another visible pump so.....
Thanks. That's a good point. I will open some notches on the acrylic.

if that doesnt work, i plan to get a powerhead with a venturi. I will attach it to the cpr overflow. Then i dont need an aqualifter pump.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back