HOB overflow water level

vissen319

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have an Aquatop AIO 40 gallon and I added a CPR CS90 HOB overflow to it. I am aware that drilling is better but it is a pain to remove all corals and livestock. I am also worried that I do not do a good enough job drilling it. So, I chose a different route for now.

originally, it looked like this with the weir on the left hand side and the return on the right hand size (See nozzle)
Tank_previously.jpg

a) My sump is located in my basement. The CPR CS90 is rated at 600 gph and I am running a Jebao 13000 (3400gph at 19 ft height). My tank is about 10 ft from my sump in the basement. So, my guess is that this should be fine.

b) My return line valve is fully open and my drain line valve is fully open. However, the liquid level in the overflow is on the low side. So, it is somewhat noisy. I cranked the power on the pump to about 80% and I do not see much of a change in the overflow box.

water_level.jpg

c) Due to the size of the overflow box, I had to swap the return chamber and overflow chamber. So essentially, my return chamber has become my drain chamber towards my sump now. I am thinking that the back acrylic panel and dividers inside the AIO is limiting flow because I do not see much change in water level when i crank up the pump close to 90-100%.

I can cut the acrylic to make the opening bigger but is my conclusion correct?

AIO_back.jpg

Here is a top view of the AIO. The red circle is the black acrylic panel.
topview_AIO.jpg

d) Or should I simply close the drain valve a bit so that I allow the water level to rise inside the overflow (thus reducing the noise)?

Thank you for your help!

OP
OP
V

vissen319

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the water level is pretty constant since yesterday. There is no bubbles being built up in the system except for a tiny one inside the overflow which the aqualifter pump cannot get rid of. However, I do not think that this will cause the water level to be so low.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back