Help with possible pest on Gonipora.

Stormyscapes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in April I got this Gonipora and for months it's been enjoying life. About 1 week ago it stopped coming out and completely retracted. I noticed this brownish green spot on it, with a small tube coming out and what looks like whiskers growing all around the base of the coral. I saw this same thing some time ago on another coral I had but I thought my wandering anemone stung it and let it be to see if it would recover on it's own. I thought it might have been the same case with my Gonipora but after seeing this tube I began to think it might be something else. I have not noticed any kind of worm sticking out of it or a mucus string coming from it. My other coral has not recovered from it so I believe it is something that is harmful but after searching online for similar problems, I can not find anything that matches what it is. Can someone please help me ID this so that I can know if it is what is hurting my Gonipora. I got the Gonipora from The Aquatic Expo and I dipped everything before putting it in my tank.

20220802_122618~2.jpg 20220802_122546~2.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
pictures are not very clear, but these whiskers you described, do they retract when in close proximity? is it just two whiskers? do they have frills?

OP
OP
S

Stormyscapes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No movement at all with the whiskers, or from within the tube, and no frills. The whiskers I'm describing are all those little things at the base. Are those normal for Gonipora?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I encountered a similar situation with one of my corals, and it was quite challenging to figure out what was causing the issue. It's fantastic to see that you raised this concern here.
While I'm not an expert, I came across a company called AJ Verminator Pest Control during my online research. They specialize in dealing with different types of pests, and they might have some insights on what could be harming your Gonipora. You can find more information about them at ajverminatorpestcontrol.com.
I'm new here and believe in sharing helpful info. I hope you find a solution soon and get your coral back to its healthy state.
I'm fairly certain a pest control company is not a good referral for aquarium pests.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A more focused pic in white light would be helpful, but it looks like some sort of hair algae.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back