Help with Quarantining?

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I will be getting three new fish soon : (1) Longfin clownfish, (1) McCosker's Fairy Wrasse, and (1) Court Jester Goby and I would like to quarantine these fish, but I have never done it before. What process would y'all use to treat these fish? I have a spare 10 gallon, air stone, and heater but nothing else.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello, I will be getting three new fish soon : (1) Longfin clownfish, (1) McCosker's Fairy Wrasse, and (1) Court Jester Goby and I would like to quarantine these fish, but I have never done it before. What process would y'all use to treat these fish? I have a spare 10 gallon, air stone, and heater but nothing else.
Your quarantine tank has the essentials. You will want a sponge filter preferably seeded from another tank or hang on power filter (remove carbon from the filter cartridge. )
These fish are tolerant of coppersafe but run at 2.0 - 2.25 therapuetic level. Wrasse will require a deep bowl of sand to be comfortable.
I recommend using General Cure over copper for 3-4 weeks at 78 deg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add, try to make sure the sand is non-calcerous (no calcium) to avoid it absorbing copper and thus making dosing more difficult.

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your quarantine tank has the essentials. You will want a sponge filter preferably seeded from another tank or hang on power filter (remove carbon from the filter cartridge. )
These fish are tolerant of coppersafe but run at 2.0 - 2.25 therapuetic level. Wrasse will require a deep bowl of sand to be comfortable.
I recommend using General Cure over copper for 3-4 weeks at 78 deg
do you have a guide on using general cure in my size tank? It seems like most people just do copper then observe the fish for a couple weeks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is really best if the quarantine tank is set up well in advance of it being used, with a strong biological filtration system in place. If you cannot do that, you can try moving some biofilter material (not calcium based) from you display tank - filter floss, etc.

Here is our current quarantine protocol:

Jay

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really best if the quarantine tank is set up well in advance of it being used, with a strong biological filtration system in place. If you cannot do that, you can try moving some biofilter material (not calcium based) from you display tank - filter floss, etc.

Here is our current quarantine protocol:

Jay
Thank you, Jay . I'll give it a read. Would you say these treatments at those concentrations would be safe for all three of these fish?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
do you have a guide on using general cure in my size tank? It seems like most people just do copper then observe the fish for a couple weeks.
Dose initially, then 3 days apart then once a week. Follow package and add aeration.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Jay . I'll give it a read. Would you say these treatments at those concentrations would be safe for all three of these fish?
The court jester may be a problem if it is wild caught - those need algae and small invertebrates to get them started feeding, and a new quarantine tank will be lacking in that regard.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think any basic aquarium sand would do the trick - anything made for reefs wouldn’t be good. Others probably know specifics better than me though.

Something like this would work:

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do you think black sand would work? That's the only thing I have right now that isn't branded for aquariums.
I would use suggested as black sand especially not aquarium grade often has magnetic particles with sharp edges on the grains

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Humblefish’s HTTM method for a couple of years with excellent results. Personally I do not have or use copper and from my limited knowledge, some fish do not tolerate it as well as others.
The httm process requires more effort I think but it is simple. 2 tanks, 2 heaters and air stones. Other than that it is just 3 day tank transfers while using a couple of baths in h202 and general cure. This lasts 14 days with observation afterwards. Obviously you may need to dose other meds if symptoms show up.

However you decide, I think the biggest thing is to follow the procedure to a T. My friend does copper, I do httm. Both seem to work. Good luck!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think black sand would work? That's the only thing I have right now that isn't branded for aquariums.
I’m not sure - depends what it is made from. Black aquarium sand is fine, but black sand for other uses might not be safe.
Jay

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Humblefish’s HTTM method for a couple of years with excellent results. Personally I do not have or use copper and from my limited knowledge, some fish do not tolerate it as well as others.
The httm process requires more effort I think but it is simple. 2 tanks, 2 heaters and air stones. Other than that it is just 3 day tank transfers while using a couple of baths in h202 and general cure. This lasts 14 days with observation afterwards. Obviously you may need to dose other meds if symptoms show up.

However you decide, I think the biggest thing is to follow the procedure to a T. My friend does copper, I do httm. Both seem to work. Good luck!
This looks like a good method. I think what I'm going to end up doing is treat all fish with the safety stop rapid quarantine, then put them in the QT I have setup for 2-4 weeks to look for signs of anything wrong.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back