Help with RO tubing siphon

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up my new tank with a fish room on the same level but separated by a wall. The best solution I could come up with for ATO was to run RO tubing up the wall, above the ceiling, down the tank wall, and into the sump. The Neptune ATK pump seemed powerful enough and it is!

My problem is siphon. I had hoped I wouldn’t have this issue because the pump is on the same level and actually 6” below the output in the tank vertically. But alas, it drips about 2 drops a second from the reservoir to the tank.

All I can find via Google is what to do about siphons in soft tubing (drill a hole, add a siphon break attachment, etc.). But how can I solve this with 1/4” RO tubing? Does anyone know of an RO siphon break connector?

A peristaltic pump is an option (not 100% foolproof) but I’d really like to use this pump I paid for already (plus the 1-link box). The line does go to a float valve in the tank but that’s my last failsafe; I’m not willing to rely on it long term as plenty of tanks (and floors) have been ruined trusting a float valve.

All I can think of is maybe trying to drill into a straight (or 90 degree) RO connector. But it seems like such a connector should already exist for RO tubing!

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand; that appears to just be a one-way check valve rather than a siphon break. The water is already flowing in the correct direction, it’s just doing it uncontrolled via siphon.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand; that appears to just be a one-way check valve rather than a siphon break. The water is already flowing in the correct direction, it’s just doing it uncontrolled via siphon.

The "siphon breaks" included with some ATO systems are check valves.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, upon closer inspection, at least some ATOs use siphon breaks that have air holes and just really look like check valves.

I think a check valve would also work but there are different crack pressures (0.3 and 5 psi).
Sweet! That’s what I was looking for. I’ve been googling for hours and I’ve googled in the past in case I ran into this problem; I always came up empty. I can’t believe this came back around to Neptune’s own site with their very first reasonably priced product.

Thanks!

OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! The word replacement made me wonder…replacement for what? I’m only using bits and pieces from the ATK kit because of my unique setup. I’m not using their float valve or tubing, etc. I can’t believe it… There was one of these in the freaking box!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back