Help with stocking!

JSK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
I have a Red Sea Reefer 425. I currently have 2 Ocellaris Clowns and a Royal Gramma in the tank which had been running about 10 weeks.
I would like to add a Purple Tang and maybe 5 to 7 Green Chromis to complete my stocking. I don’t know what to add next as I assume it would be best to add all the Chromis at once but surely this would be too much bioload all in one go next? Would it be okay to add the tang first and then the Chromis, or would the tang be too aggressive and beat up the Chromis? Thank you for any advice.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Reefer 425 is basically a standard 4' 90 gallon. Your list is fine, although I'm not a fan of Chromis.

I really don't think it will matter if you add the tang or group of Chromis next. The tang will ignore the Chromis, and a cycled system with 425 liters of volume should easily hand a new bioload of 5-7 tiny damsels.

OP
OP
J

JSK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Reefer 425 is basically a standard 4' 90 gallon. Your list is fine, although I'm not a fan of Chromis.

I really don't think it will matter if you add the tang or group of Chromis next. The tang will ignore the Chromis, and a cycled system with 425 liters of volume should easily hand a new bioload of 5-7 tiny damsels.
Okay that’s great thanks! I’d love a shoal of fish but I have heard that Chromis can kill each other off which does put me off them a little. I like Lyretail Anthias but have heard that anthias need constant feeding. Would you have any recommendations for fish to add that are safe with corals as I would like to add corals one day? Thank you again

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay that’s great thanks! I’d love a shoal of fish but I have heard that Chromis can kill each other off which does put me off them a little. I like Lyretail Anthias but have heard that anthias need constant feeding. Would you have any recommendations for fish to add that are safe with corals as I would like to add corals one day? Thank you again
My lyrerails are fine with eating once or twice a day, they are great fish. They are easy to train to eat pellets and flakes too. I’d do a male and 3 females.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
I have a Red Sea Reefer 425. I currently have 2 Ocellaris Clowns and a Royal Gramma in the tank which had been running about 10 weeks.
I would like to add a Purple Tang and maybe 5 to 7 Green Chromis to complete my stocking. I don’t know what to add next as I assume it would be best to add all the Chromis at once but surely this would be too much bioload all in one go next? Would it be okay to add the tang first and then the Chromis, or would the tang be too aggressive and beat up the Chromis? Thank you for any advice.
mandarin. they look great. With such a big tank feeding would be absolutely no issue. Dose pods and wait a few months, and youll have a chubby lil mando

OP
OP
J

JSK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lyrerails are fine with eating once or twice a day, they are great fish. They are easy to train to eat pellets and flakes too. I’d do a male and 3 females.
Sounds good thanks! I’ve seen these in my LFS and they’re all really small. Would I just buy 4 then and one will become the male or am I totally wrong haha?

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good thanks! I’ve seen these in my LFS and they’re all really small. Would I just buy 4 then and one will become the male or am I totally wrong haha?
Yep, the dominant one will turn male. Liveaquaria’s divers den has sets of 4 almost every day, if you are interested in doing that.

OP
OP
J

JSK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, the dominant one will turn male. Liveaquaria’s divers den has sets of 4 almost every day, if you are interested in doing that.
Okay nice! Looks like I may go with these instead of the chromis then! Brilliant, I’ll take a look, thanks for the advice.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lyretail won't need fed more than once or twice a day. Tank is maybe a *little * small for a group of them, but you may be able to pull it off. Dispar or ignitus would be a little smaller and less aggressive, but need fed more .

For other reef safe fishes, lots of wrasses to choose from

OP
OP
J

JSK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lyretail won't need fed more than once or twice a day. Tank is maybe a *little * small for a group of them, but you may be able to pull it off. Dispar or ignitus would be a little smaller and less aggressive, but need fed more .

For other reef safe fishes, lots of wrasses to choose from
That’s great thanks! My LFS had one single lyretail the other day, I’ve heard they’re best off in groups but I was tempted to walk away with it but they told me it would be best not to have just the one... I wonder if a single anthia would be okay.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great thanks! My LFS had one single lyretail the other day, I’ve heard they’re best off in groups but I was tempted to walk away with it but they told me it would be best not to have just the one... I wonder if a single anthia would be okay.

Yep. One would be just fine. In fact, it's common to end up with one lyre tail or bartlett anthias.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 107 81.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back