Help with sump

  • Thread starter Thread starter bondno9
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

bondno9

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 16, 2023
Messages
125
Reaction score
26
Location
new jersey
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, hope everyone is having a happy holidays. I'm looking into buying a Aquatop 26.2 gallon bookshelf aquarium. I wanted to ask what is the best way about setting up a sump? How many gallons should I go with? How should I plumb it so its quiet since It will be in my living room. I've never had a sump before so how should I set up the filtration? I currently have a AIO tank and just use filter floss. What else should I buy for the sump? I'll be throwing my heater in there, should I also invest in a skimmer as well for a 26 gallon tank? Thanks for any help in advance.
 
I have a 20 gallon display with a 10 gallon sump. I think it's definitely worth it to get a sump if you can. It gives you more options on everything and lets the display stay free of extra equipment.

I drilled and installed a two pipe external overflow (fiji cube 600gph), set up in a "Herbie" style configuration where one pipe is a full siphon drain, and the other is a slight trickle and it is basically silent. My return nozzle goes up over the side so I only had to drill one (rather large) hole.

I ran a skimmer for a while but I stopped after running into problems due to low nutrients. My skimmer has been off for like 2 years now.

I have no mechanical filtration, but for a while I did experiment with putting a sponge filter on my return pump's input. It worked fine, I just didn't like having to clean it.

My sump has no partitions. Many people like them but I haven't found the need. In my sump I have a float valve for gravity fed ATO, return pump, skimmer (inactive), algae scrubber, heater, thermo-sensors, and a ph proble (also inactive).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 27 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new