Help with torches needed.

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I previously had a thread with a new torch not looking to well. Hortly after a torch next to it started to decline.
They both open up, but not much.
They seem to be looking the same way for a couple of weeks, not doing any worse or better.

I found my PO4 has increased to 0.3, and have lowered it to 0.09 over the last week.

June 30th:

Today:

I've currently lowered the light a bit and bringing it up slowly.

I'm puzzled they don't either look worse or better.
Should I just let them be and hope they'll get better?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I previously had a thread with a new torch not looking to well. Hortly after a torch next to it started to decline.
They both open up, but not much.
They seem to be looking the same way for a couple of weeks, not doing any worse or better.

I found my PO4 has increased to 0.3, and have lowered it to 0.09 over the last week.

June 30th:

Today:

I've currently lowered the light a bit and bringing it up slowly.

I'm puzzled they don't either look worse or better.
Should I just let them be and hope they'll get better?

Only make 1 change at a time and give it a couple weeks. Otherwise you have no idea what worked.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only make 1 change at a time and give it a couple weeks. Otherwise you have no idea what worked.
True. But if an issue is present, I could wait several weeks before I got it on the right track, and fixing the problem.
I might just be very unsure about what might be the issue. I'm don't know if a higher phosphate level could cause this issue, or if it could be something else.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. But if an issue is present, I could wait several weeks before I got it on the right track, and fixing the problem.
I might just be very unsure about what might be the issue. I'm don't know if a higher phosphate level could cause this issue, or if it could be something else.
What are the rest of your parameters? Are other corals growing?

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the rest of your parameters? Are other corals growing?
Parameters has been good and stable.
I had alkalinity go up by 1 over ten days at one point, but was before the corals declined.
I haven't had corals long enough to know how fast corals normally grow, and my ph has been a bit low until about a month ago, when I added a bigger skimmer which got my ph in the 8.0-8.2 range.
My acans and some newer blastos are growing new heads.
I have noticed color loss on my paraancora and one head on another torch where the remaining heads looks great.
I'm generally just unsure if I'm focusing on the wrong thing and the phosphates isn't the issue at all.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
List your parameters and we'll make sure everything is good. Sounds like other corals are good and some not.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
List your parameters and we'll make sure everything is good. Sounds like other corals are good and some not.
Yes.
Most other corals are indeed fine. Only some euphyllias are having some issues.

Temp: 25.0-25.4 (high on a few hot days during summer)
Ph: 8.0-8.2
Alk: 8.7 (been fine tuning dosing the last week to get it as stable as possible, but no major swings)
Ca: 420
Mg: 1410

NO3: 10-ish
PO4: 0.09 - down from 0.30

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I would tweak any of those. Maybe like you said just focus on stability.

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I would tweak any of those. Maybe like you said just focus on stability.
Agreed. Stability is key, even if some parameters aren’t “perfect.” Euphyllia are so dang temperamental that it gets frustrating when they seem unhappy and you can’t point out a singular fix.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I am torn between doing the right thing, and not doing anything other than keep things stable and leave them alone.
But I'm also unsure if I could have to low light, and seeing some signs of bleaching could be from to little light and might have done the wrong thing.
PAR wise, I don't seem to have that much light, but I don't want to stress out the corals by adding more light if that isn't the issue.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a powerhead pointed at them? Seemed like some direct flow was going on in the video

steven325

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check for flatworms. I bought a new torch and it had flat worms that had destroyed my 24k Aussie and the one they came on survived.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches are, IMO, by far one of the toughest LPS to keep, let alone to thrive and grow. They are quite finicky with flow, nutrients, and parameters. Any change or slight shift will irritate them and then they end up slowly dying or "jelly out".
There are a few things I've learned... As others have said, low flow and low-mod light. I keep mine at 75-100 par and found that anything above 100 is not good. They prefer "dirty" nutrient rich water, with nitrates around 10-15 and phosphates .05-.15. Alk 9, Ca 440, Mg 1400.
Most important is stability in ALL parameters, flow and lighting.
The one thing I learned is that torches don't do well in a DT (at least not mine). The fish are constantly irritating them. I've since moved all my euphyllia to a separate tank and all my issues resolved. They all have a steady low flow, exact lighting, and the same water as my DT (the tank is plumbed to the DT.)
My advice is to move it to a protected low/mod flow, low/mod light spot and leave it be and keep your parameters stable, and your nutrient levels in check.
They are my favorite coral, but my nemesis at the same time...

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already checked and dipped both corals ( the newest has been dipped twice ) No signs of pests.
Oh, and stop dipping them so much! I've also realized that dipping torches stresses them to the point of no return more often than not...
Just let them be!

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and stop dipping them so much! I've also realized that dipping torches stresses them to the point of no return more often than not...
Just let them be!
Only one has been dipped twice. When I got it, and a dip again later after I tried putting it in low flow and low light for a couple of weeks, where it seemed to get worse. I dipped it again and placed it where it is now.
It would be a logic conclusion if it had pests of some sort which spread to the other torch, but haven't seen any.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back