Help with upgrading lighting please!

Amanda85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! New to R2R, havent really posted ever and mostly just browse to learn from others. I’m looking for some input on upgrading my lighting. Currently running a Fluval Marine 2.0 light for my mixed reef tank. I purchased 2 AI Prime HD lights to replace the one. But after watching a video on BRStv I’m concerned I might need a third. I haven’t installed them yet because I’m waiting in the mounting arms to arrive.

Tank info:

48x12x20
55gallon

acros
Zoas
Blasto
Duncan
Acan
Mushroons
Favia
Platy
Chalice
Lepto
Yellow polyps
Green Star polyps
Feather duster

i attached a current light schedule and pic of my tank. Hopefully that’s sufficient info for some help. Basically, I’m wondering, are 2 lights enuf, would 10 inches off the water be an appropriate height, and what would be a good schedule to set to a) not kill everything right off the bat, and b) be optimal for health and coral growth.

p.s. there is a plastic support piece built into the framework that is the top rim of the tank. It’s about 2.5 inches wide, and I feel like a third puck would kind of be a waste because that piece would take the direct shot of the light. (See pic attached)

thanks so much!

EB988636-84AA-4937-B825-792D29D338BD.jpeg 13A2DD05-C019-41B1-82CD-42823FBB4F67.png AE898B06-3660-483F-8F9C-47C7CFE29254.jpeg

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of your corals, besides the Acropora, don't need a ton of light. If you run your Fluval along with the 2 Primes, that should be okay. You'll want to glue your Acros down centered under the lights, and as high up as you can. You may get some shading as they grow.

3 Primes would be better. The center brace does throw a bit of a wrench in that. 4 might be closer to ideal, or 2 Hydras. I know that's another 200 bucks though.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Amanda85

Amanda85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of your corals, besides the Acropora, don't need a ton of light. If you run your Fluval along with the 2 Primes, that should be okay. You'll want to glue your Acros down centered under the lights, and as high up as you can. You may get some shading as they grow.

3 Primes would be better. The center brace does throw a bit of a wrench in that. 4 might be closer to ideal, or 2 Hydras. I know that's another 200 bucks though.

Hope that helps.
Wow, 4? I feel like that might burn everything up!

would 2 just be totally inefficient?
I was looking to replace the fluval with the 2 AI primes....but you think I should use the fluval in addition to the 2 primes? Hmmm....are you thinking the fluval does not provide enuf light now? My zoas are a bit stretched out, esp over on the left side, and I’ve only recently added acros which prompted me to do an upgrade. I’ve had this light (fluval) for a couple years now (switched up from an ancient T5 set up that I ran for 8 years)

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was looking to replace the fluval with the 2 AI primes....but you think I should use the fluval in addition to the 2 primes? Hmmm....are you thinking the fluval does not provide enuf light now? My zoas are a bit stretched out, esp over on the left side, and I’ve only recently added acros which prompted me to do an upgrade. I’ve had this light (fluval) for a couple years now (switched up from an ancient T5 set up that I ran for 8 years)
I’m not familiar with any of the newer lighting .
mom still “ ancient t5’s”

OP
OP
Amanda85

Amanda85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not familiar with any of the newer lighting .
mom still “ ancient t5’s”
Ha! I say “ancient” because the light unit itself was like 20 years old when I started using it. It finally died so I took the opportunity to try out LED! T5s are still great lights!! :)

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! I say “ancient” because the light unit itself was like 20 years old when I started using it. It finally died so I took the opportunity to try out LED! T5s are still great lights!! :)
Ancient is a great description
Mine were a old industrial fixture .
8 bulbs .
move replaced the ballasts a few times over the years

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might run 4 of them, and turn them down, for better coverage, especially with Acros.

A single AI prime has a recommended spread of about 18x18". But more may be needed for sticks.

Acropora is just a different animal. You'll have to see how they do. I think you'll have shadowing.

I was looking to replace the fluval with the 2 AI primes....but you think I should use the fluval in addition to the 2 primes?
I would run them all if you still have them. It will help with spread and shading.

Hmmm....are you thinking the fluval does not provide enuf light now? My zoas are a bit stretched out, esp over on the left side, and I’ve only recently added acros which prompted me to do an upgrade.
It looks like a 4' fluval 2.0 is about 59 watts at full power on all channels. I haven't taken a PAR meter to one, but I would guess it's pretty similar to a single T5 bulb.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you opposed to running the fluval and the primes together?

Going to 4 fixtures would give better spread and you could turn them down to avoid nuking corals.

Based on the corals I see in your tank you're prob fine with the 2 primes, but I would keep the fluval on hand in case you decide you want a more even intensity of light across the tank. Running the 3 together will be a lot cheaper than buying 2 more primes.

Another option might be to mount the primes in an aquatic life t5 hybrid unit.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The above would be if you stay with a mixed reef. If you get bit by the acro bug in a serious way, you would prob need the hybrid fixture at the least and maybe another prime or 2 on top of that depending on what acros you stock.

Waydeo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on coral placement consider the tank depth also. I would think you could do 2 hydras, 2 radians or 2red sea reefer 90s and grow anything .

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome here!!
Get the ATI Sunpower fixture that will cover the surface area of your tank and forget lighting problems forever. No need for dimmable! T5s have much greater qualities than any available LED system in US and will cost you less even if you change the bulbs every 12 months in most cases, in the long run. Quality is what corals need!!! You won't need upgrades nor to deal with shadows and problems setting up the "right" spectrum (which most of the time is actually the wrong spectrum anyways). If you are looking for quality and to be safe (not burning your corals) with superb growth, colors and health, choose the T5s. My oldest ATI fixture is running since 2008!! They will last your life time if you take care of them cleaning the fans every 6 months and changing the bulbs once a year.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some ATI SunPower running, my dear.
4 bulb ATI Sunpower with 2 ATI Blue Plus bulbs and 2 ATI Coral Plus bulbs.

Last edited:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome here!!
Get the ATI Sunpower fixture that will cover the surface area of your tank and forget lighting problems forever. No need for dimmable! T5s have much greater qualities than any available LED system in US and will cost you less even if you change the bulbs every 12 months in most cases, in the long run. Quality is what corals need!!! You won't need upgrades nor to deal with shadows and problems setting up the "right" spectrum (which most of the time is actually the wrong spectrum anyways). If you are looking for quality and to be safe (not burning your corals) with superb growth, colors and health, choose the T5s. My oldest ATI fixture is running since 2008!! They will last your life time if you take care of them cleaning the fans every 6 months and changing the bulbs once a year.
Some things never change ....
but I agree with t5’s

no tampering with , configuring , adjusting ,
Plug into a timer and never worry about them .
My old school diy ( home made fixture )
I don’t have fans but never had over heating issues .
Between keeping the house around 21°c during the winter , and running AC all summer , it’s never too hot

I personally don’t like the shimmer from leds

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some things never change ....
but I agree with t5’s

no tampering with , configuring , adjusting ,
Plug into a timer and never worry about them .
My old school diy ( home made fixture )
I don’t have fans but never had over heating issues .
Between keeping the house around 21°c during the winter , and running AC all summer , it’s never too hot

I personally don’t like the shimmer from leds
Yes, T5s rules for 55gallon tanks. A 4 bulb fixture will give amazing results and can grow any coral!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 8 bulb 48” over my 6’ long tank .
and can still grow anything ...
Some corals farmers used T5s as their main source of light.
They won't change for any LEDs no matter what!

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back