Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, I’m starting a new tank and would like to document it separately from my past builds/main build thread.

I’ve been out of the hobby for about two years. Now, a few moves and a divorce later(but no worries, much better off!) here I am, back on r2r and making another tank :p;)
In my hiatus from reefing I got into the high-tech freshwater world and purchased a UNS tank and stand. While I could have drilled that tank and had a small sump in the cabinet, I went for the less audible choice and purchased their AIO for this reef tank. I have not seen many reefs made out of this tank but I’m hoping my experience can outweigh some common obstacles people may be facing while making my 60A a reef.

For lighting I’m going to use one of my 360x’s on a gooseneck. For powerheads I’m going to get an mp10 eventually but for cycling I picked up a Jebao SLW10 off Amazon. I also purchased the new Jebao DC 400gph return pump that looks like a knock-off RO VarioS- I was looking for more controllability of the return flow and the quieter sound that comes with DC pumps in comparison to the stock AC 190gph return.

ATO will be my tunze ATO.

Temporary heater is an Eheim Jager 150w. I need to get my smaller titanium one out of storage that will fit better in this tank.

For rock I went with 20lbs of Life Rock; all my previous liverock was dry and stored outdoors and was stolen unfortunately.
For sand I went with 20lbs Ocean Direct live sand.

Cycling began today 12/19/22
DF1C35E4-EE75-4D3E-92F1-6B892BDF3D81.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a tank id love to stare at.

With the dry rock/live sand combo, how long are you planning on letting the tank cook, before introducing nems?
Awhile, going to try my best to wait at least 6 months. What would you recommend to guarantee success and happy nems?

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awhile, going to try my best to wait at least 6 months. What would you recommend to guarantee success and happy nems?
I'd recommend bringing in even a small bit of quality ocean rock or long healthy tank cycled rock. Even a pound or two from a few different sources can help.

If you find waiting to get terrible, you can start adding rfa's in to help you extend the maturation time.

Unsure if you're only planning to have csb's. If you're planning to mix, plan to run lots of carbon, actively through a reactor and change it often.

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad you decided to get back in the hobby despite all the set backs, I know how some of those situations go, it feels great once the dust settles though .
The 360x is going to do great on that DT, I’m currently running one over my 40 fusion.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend bringing in even a small bit of quality ocean rock or long healthy tank cycled rock. Even a pound or two from a few different sources can help.

If you find waiting to get terrible, you can start adding rfa's in to help you extend the maturation time.

Unsure if you're only planning to have csb's. If you're planning to mix, plan to run lots of carbon, actively through a reactor and change it often.
Great idea. I do know some locals who have clean systems I could get some small rock to seed with.
RFA’s are cool, I had a few back in my old 90g. Once I get BTA’s I want only the same type, so only CSB’s. I plan on using carbon as needed.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad you decided to get back in the hobby despite all the set backs, I know how some of those situations go, it feels great once the dust settles though .
The 360x is going to do great on that DT, I’m currently running one over my 40 fusion.
I appreciate it! I’m glad I’m back as well. The dust does seem to finally be settling thank god. I’m glad to hear you have success with the 360x and nems! I loved it for my lps in the past, the color it puts out is amazing. I’ll have to check out your build thread!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, I’m starting a new tank and would like to document it separately from my past builds/main build thread.

I’ve been out of the hobby for about two years. Now, a few moves and a divorce later(but no worries, much better off!) here I am, back on r2r and making another tank :p;)

In the past I had a 40b that I had planned to make a clownfish harem and nem tank. The 40b ended up turning more into a frag tank and my dreams of the dedicated clownfish harem and nems never came true. This new tank will be the serene clownfish tank I had dreamed of, full of CSB’s and two happy bonded clownfish, probably Picasso’s.

In my hiatus from reefing I got into the high-tech freshwater world and purchased a UNS tank and stand. While I could have drilled that tank and had a small sump in the cabinet, I went for the less audible choice and purchased their AIO for this reef tank. I have not seen many reefs made out of this tank but I’m hoping my experience can outweigh some common obstacles people may be facing while making my 60A a reef.

For lighting I’m going to use one of my 360x’s on a gooseneck. For powerheads I’m going to get an mp10 eventually but for cycling I picked up a Jebao SLW10 off Amazon. I also purchased the new Jebao DC 400gph return pump that looks like a knock-off RO VarioS- I was looking for more controllability of the return flow and the quieter sound that comes with DC pumps in comparison to the stock AC 190gph return.

ATO will be my tunze ATO.

Temporary heater is an Eheim Jager 150w. I need to get my smaller titanium one out of storage that will fit better in this tank.

For rock I went with 20lbs of Life Rock; all my previous liverock was dry and stored outdoors and was stolen unfortunately.
For sand I went with 20lbs Ocean Direct live sand.

Cycling began today 12/19/22
DF1C35E4-EE75-4D3E-92F1-6B892BDF3D81.jpeg

And away we go!

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some live rock to help make the tank more biologically diverse. I like the scape much more now! Funny how one little 1.3lb rock made so much difference.
7EC6BF86-2672-494B-8329-31527E733FDB.jpeg

There is more live rock rubble in the filtration fuge chamber.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some live rock to help make the tank more biologically diverse. I like the scape much more now! Funny how one little 1.3lb rock made so much difference.
7EC6BF86-2672-494B-8329-31527E733FDB.jpeg

There is more live rock rubble in the filtration fuge chamber.

Looks like you need some longer arms!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back