Here goes Nothin... CaRx is running now

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have finally setup a CaRx. I still have my usual dose of 2 part going in the tank.
So I will be monitoring the Alk all day while Dialing back the 2 part.

Of course, I am thinking it will be a while (half a day?) before the Rx even is equalized and producing predictable Alkalinity addition.

Anything you guys think gets missed when setting these things up?
Any advice for a first timer using a CaRx?

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using it with a controller or are you counting bubbles and drops? With a controller it's like being on Cruise Control.

OP
OP
Monkeynaut

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using it with a controller or are you counting bubbles and drops? With a controller it's like being on Cruise Control.

Both.
I have a pH controller m, but preferably I will dial the CO2 in so the I am not relying on solenoids.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you want to rely on a solenoid? Before I used a controller I never could keep a constant bubble rate as it would vary as the CO2 became slowly depleted. Also, trying to keep a constant drip rate was a problem as the needle valve would clog up. Now I keep the effluent wide open to a steady stream.

OP
OP
Monkeynaut

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it may be extra redundancy to try to dial the CO2 in. I have killed a freshwater planted tank in the past when a solenoid stuck open.
I do have 2 solenoids in series now. I guess it will be better to rely on them. And just test their function monthly.

I didn’t think about the needle valve sticking. That is probably why so many people use a peristaltic pump in leu of the normal AC pump.
I don’t have enough demand to run the flow at full open.

I am glad I know to look out for clogging now. I will cycle the needle valve open and back to set weekly or something.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a plastic valve for the effluent. I control the plastic valve to produce a steady stream rather than drips. As long as I keep a fine but steady stream, my valve does not clog.

I do not control my CaRx with a pH probe. Instead, I control the alk level by bubble counts. I have a precision metering valve on my CO2 regulator for reef and a needle valve for my planted tank. Both are Swagelok valves and never stuck or clogged over 15 years or more of use. Bubble rates are very steady. I check on it periodically, but they are rock solid. Swagelok valves are not cheap, but they are worth every penny in my book.

OP
OP
Monkeynaut

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tomoko Schum and @H@rry what is your daily pH fluctuation?
Mine dropped to 7.7 today.

I had probably been fluctuating 7.8 to 8.0 daily. But my pH monitor was only calibrated 1 day before this swap from 2part to the CaRx. It will be really interesting to see what it goes back up to during the day with lights on and without the 2 part boost.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't checked the pH in years but I think the last was something around 7.7 - 7.9. That's what's to be expected with calcium reactor. I'm keeping pH in the reactor @ 6.3 and I notice when my CO2 runs out it will read 8.0 - 8.2 (depending on how long it takes me to replace it) since it is the same as tank water now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Monkeynaut

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does make me feel better about it @H@rry
I am watching pH come back up now as the corals are soaking up the daylight. I was relieved to see the bottom at 7.7 this morning.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH is fluctuating lately between 7.9 and 8.3. I use a small amount of CaOH in my top off water to keep the pH from going down below 7.9. I had it running between 8.1 and 8.3 earlier by keeping a window open at night. I am going to keep a peace lily or something in my fish room since I read on BRS forum that some people successfully increased the night time pH by putting a house plant near their tanks.

OP
OP
Monkeynaut

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH is fluctuating lately between 7.9 and 8.3. I use a small amount of CaOH in my top off water to keep the pH from going down below 7.9. I had it running between 8.1 and 8.3 earlier by keeping a window open at night. I am going to keep a peace lily or something in my fish room since I read on BRS forum that some people successfully increased the night time pH by putting a house plant near their tanks.

Yeah, the latest video BRS put out about pH and growth is compelling.
My pH probe was likely out of Calibration for many months. So it is too bad I don’t really know where i was to begin with.

I moved back to using the H380 light in the sump. Hopefully that has an effect on pH too.

OP
OP
Monkeynaut

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tomoko Schum I was thinking of both. The elevated parameters really gets things growing. But the pH one showed a 200% rise in alk usage and things looked better in higher pH. Which may be worth making minimal efforts to achieve.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to use extra CaOH in my top-off to achieve a higher pH. If I try to go beyond the current level, my Aqua Lifter clogs up after a week or so. It may be a high time to switch to a peristaltic pump.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back