OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to add to the thread is that after 3 weeks of treament and all the water changes, I am still unable to keep a single snail alive. Yes.. i did run carbon and I have done multiple 50 percent water changes.

I'll keep everyone posted.
Yes time is dependant on length of treatment and cleanup.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todd, As always, I really appreciate all you do for us here. Your knowledge is amazing.
Thank you!
I do all this for tank owners to help avoid frustration.
Too many tank teardowns for me not to find solutions in this hobby.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates?
With the continued interest with fenbendazole I would like to keep current information updated.

cichlidtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2nd treatment just went in. I waited till I could see the hydroid heads before adding to the tank. If this reduces the remaining ones, I'll be extremely happy. Thanks again for this finding.

cichlidtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd treatment completed, water change and reactor online. Visual inspection looks better this time as I didn't see any open. I will do a better inspection tomorrow when the lights come back on. On this treatment I did notice some corals closing and lack of extension. I used a little more powder this time as they were heaping spoonfuls. This may be why I had to do a second round as I used level spoonfuls on the first treatment. I have one question as how to get rid of the tubes that are left after them dying?

thanks

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd treatment completed, water change and reactor online. Visual inspection looks better this time as I didn't see any open. I will do a better inspection tomorrow when the lights come back on. On this treatment I did notice some corals closing and lack of extension. I used a little more powder this time as they were heaping spoonfuls. This may be why I had to do a second round as I used level spoonfuls on the first treatment. I have one question as how to get rid of the tubes that are left after them dying?

thanks
I physically take the rock out and crush them. Caution though cause they are sharp!

cichlidtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it has been over a week now since my second treatment. I have not seen one hydroid and all is looking great. I just need to remove the hundreds of tubes that were left. Big thanks to twilliard for this excellent discovery.

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it has been over a week now since my second treatment. I have not seen one hydroid and all is looking great. I just need to remove the hundreds of tubes that were left. Big thanks to twilliard for this excellent discovery.

Glad it worked for you cichlidtx. I did my treatment months ago and I'm still removing tubes.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great thread. I have great interest in Hydroid Treatment since mine is getting out of control in my 65Gal Mixed Tank (no SPS)
I do feel a bit weary treating my whole tank, since for years it had problems, but over last 2 years things clicked biologically and it just started doing really well (NO Cyano, or Algae outbreaks, can feed galore)
The downside to this Tank Water Quality improvement and extra feeding is Hydroids are also taking off.

Not sure if this was posted in a previous post, but I found this article where the Fenbendazole treatment is done (with before & After Pictures)
https://maxdraco.wordpress.com/2013...ue-cloves-polyps-xenia-aiptasia-hydriods-etc/

What I also found and ordered is a pure powder form of Fenbendazole call (Fish Fenbendzole). Available on Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...targid=kwd-55984005300&ref=pd_sl_31egtzlbiq_e

But again, I'm a bit to scared to treat my whole tank and disrupt year of progress.

So the plan is to remove the easy to remove rocks and treat in a QT Tank.

That leaves a few patches in the Tank that I can't treat due to un-removable rock.

I've come up with an idea that I'm doing to test in the Treatment tank.

Basically make a Dome Chamber to put over the Hydroid Patch areas, and kind of like Target feeding Corals, to Treat the Hydroids with Fenbendazole solution.
The dome will have two air lines where one injects the treatment, and a 2nd line to remove the treatment from the dome.
To make it safer, I'll add a Cloud Agent (like Coral Snow) to the solution, so that I can see it in the clear dome, and be able to monitor leaks.
Nothing should leak into the overall tank, or very little.
This may take a few treatments to kill the Hydroids.
Higher concentration can be used for the Spot Treatment.

I'm setting up for a test trial in my QT Tank with a sample Hydroid Rock, a few coral frags (to see them not be affected).

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard I have read most of this thread and appreciate your time you have put into this. I have what I believe to be colonial Hydroids. I estimate about 250 gallons water volume in my system overall. What does would you recommend and what is the best place to purchase it?

also any adverse affects to Clams or Nems?

20170203_100849.jpg

MadCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used the same stuff bought on Amazon to treat blue clove polyps. Treated my whole mixed reef but removed my snails, leathers, gorgonias, palm tree polyps first. Like you at first I was nervous because I have a lot of high end fish and corals and I can safely say everything but the blues clove polyps are absolutely fine. Even my zoanthids and palys are fine! If you are on the fence, no worries it's safe to use.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard I have read most of this thread and appreciate your time you have put into this. I have what I believe to be colonial Hydroids. I estimate about 250 gallons water volume in my system overall. What does would you recommend and what is the best place to purchase it?

also any adverse affects to Clams or Nems?

20170203_100849.jpg
The trick with these guys is to make sure you add the fenben rapidly in a high flow area. If these guys close up without direct consumption they will remain.

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trick with these guys is to make sure you add the fenben rapidly in a high flow area. If these guys close up without direct consumption they will remain.

But it should work? Few hours after ligt on and pour it right in powerhead....

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noooooo waaayyyyy???!!!!!! Are you serious?? If it truly works this treatment is gold. I am about to go get some. Those things are practically impossible to get rid of.
These guys are a gastropod that feeds off of the water column. Same rules apply though. They have to have their web out and feeding to be effective.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back