Here it is! Fenbendazole use against hydroids

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to hold off since my tank has gone pristine over last two years (Possibly the hyroids are doing good with their Water Column Polishing).

I was really scared about doing a full treatment so came up with a Target treatment Gizmo and was going to experiment treatment in a QT tank.
http://gtaaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1482386#post1482386

But now they are spreading exponentially and that Target method isn't going to be good enough.

I plan proceed with a full tank treatment (Bought the Amazon "Fish Bendazole" Powder packets).

I do plan to remove any loose corals and put into a QT tub during treatment (just to be safe)

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys are a gastropod that feeds off of the water column. Same rules apply though. They have to have their web out and feeding to be effective.
These things always have their webs out feeding, so that shouldn't be an issue, at all. Btw this info is gold for anyone who has these guys tking over the tank.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT Setup for (Full Tank Hydroid Treatment Practice) with Bendazole (Sample Rock, Few Corals)

I plan to start small in the QT Tank. Will learn the process and then depending how things go, treat the Display tank.

Just started today...
- I picked out a nice rock Infested with Hydroids
- A few sample corals included (GSP, LPS Frogspawn, Zoa's & Palys, Mushroom)
- There are few Brittle worms (Expect them to get zapped too)

For now I just fed the tank some Reef Roids, Coral Frenzy and Polyp Booster to get Hydriod to get into Feeding mode.

Once Corals and Hydroid acclimatize I'll treat the tank with the Bendazole.

32675331296_7118c38aaf_b.jpg

I'm posting progress and results here.
http://gtaaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1520626#post1520626

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT Setup for (Full Tank Hydroid Treatment Practice) with Bendazole (Sample Rock, Few Corals)

I plan to start small in the QT Tank. Will learn the process and then depending how things go, treat the Display tank.

Just started today...
- I picked out a nice rock Infested with Hydroids
- A few sample corals included (GSP, LPS Frogspawn, Zoa's & Palys, Mushroom)
- There are few Brittle worms (Expect them to get zapped too)

For now I just fed the tank some Reef Roids, Coral Frenzy and Polyp Booster to get Hydriod to get into Feeding mode.

Once Corals and Hydroid acclimatize I'll treat the tank with the Bendazole.

32675331296_7118c38aaf_b.jpg

I'm posting progress and results here.
http://gtaaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1520626#post1520626
Awesome! What species of hydroids are present?

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can bulk at Alibaba.com Here is an example (many suppliers since this stuff is used for Farm Animals (dewormer) Need 1KG, or 10KG
http://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...60620995275.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.MdUp3b

Why not go for just enough to treat your tank.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...13&cm_re=Bendazole-_-03A-0012-00018-_-Product
I browsed over alibaba but shied away as I do not think those suppliers are readily available. I need bulk to keep cost down as I plan to find conclusions against vermetid snails while treating for hydroids. I also plan to refine the dosing.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know there was more than 1 species. These are the "pain in the butt kind".
I'm no marine biologist, I'm just a guy getting really annoyed at these buggers, but care for everything else in my tank.
How can I tell what kind they are? Might help me understand how to treat better.
Will this close up photo help?
32726166635_cab3a9f6a1_b.jpg

BTW. Last night when I setup the QT treatment Tank with the Hydroids and sample corals to treat side by side (Haven't started the Bendazole yet).
I noticed the corals are slowly adapting to new QT conditions, plus lights were low since evening. The Hydroids didn't need to adapt much. They popped up right away with whiskers waving, in light and total darkness. No wonder they outcompete everything else in DT. 24/7 Feeders and don't need much light.
Awesome! What species of hydroids are present?

Last edited:

cichlidtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WallyB, those are the same as my tank was infested with. I treated mine twice and will treat again as I noticed a few more when doing water change. All my rock in my 40br looked just like that. Keep us updated.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now I am practising in the QT. We'll see how things go.

However I am really concerned about the 90 GAL DT since my system is about 10 years old and lots of tiny critters.
I can always restock Copepods, Amphipods, snails, etc (after I treat).
I HAVE a 2nd 65 Gallon Tank where I can get all above from.

But what I notice when I clean things (Socks, sump etc), is there are Brittle worms everywhere (including good Star Brittle Worms).
It's pretty clean Fenbendazole is going to kill them all.
My tank is algae free after 5 years of Algae/Cyano problems that I just overcame last year.
I worry that the Brittle Worm Die Off and other die off will trigger a waste dump into my DT.
And that could lead to many things, and my worst fear is back to the Hair Algae days (which in some way was worse on the Eye, and maintenance than Hydroid)
Now one of the factors of eliminating my Algae Problems of the past, was a tank 4 months Tank Fallow period (after All Fish got wiped out by Velvet).
And when I restarted the tank, I also switch from MH Lighting, to T5/LED, which I think (lower Lighting) drop the Algae Bloom factor.

Thus I'm thinking phases:

(A) Practice in QT
--> (learn about dosing levels, Post Treatment Traumatic Effects (NO3,PO4,.. etc)
--> Post Treatment clean up/recovery (WC, Carbon, GFO, Skimmer, Coral Recovery, etc)
--> Period of recovery, and Secondary treatments.
(B) Treat small removable rocks in QT
(C) Eventually remove larger rocks into Rubbermaid Treatment BIN
(D) If really needed, Treat DT

BTW. The QT corals have all perked up and after I re-read all the details of the treatment (dosing Quantity/GAL & Period), I'll NUKE (I mean treat) right away.

Wally

Last edited:

Batts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Twilliard, I have been eyeing this thread quite a while now, just joined to be able to ask ur advice on my situation.

I have a 3yo 100gal mixed reef tank and have been battling with digitate hydroids for almost a year now.

i ordered the 250mg fish fenbendazole packets from amazon and decided to treat my tank as per the instructions.

I mixed the whole packet in a 600ml water bottle and dosed 2/3 after removing the carbon and cutting the air to the protein skimmer.
All hydroids looked ill not long later and seemed disappeared after 24hrs.
Did a 25% wc 30hrs after the dosing, added fresh carbon in the reactor and got the air connected back to the skimmer.

This morning, 48hrs since the dosing, the digitates started poking their head out again... but they still look weak.

Before I go ahead and do a second dose just wanted to get your opinion if you think this is normal.

I don't think I underdosed but maybe didn't mix the bottle too well? not sure.

Ps. i remember reading somewhere along the thread that this med works slowly so I might still have a chance to get rid of them (Trying to keep positive here :)

Thanks in advance!

cichlidtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the hydroid that I had and this method worked to eliminate them. I did have to treat twice.

moiy24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please id these.. to order the fish bendazole if it is that i have Hydroids
IMG_6582.JPG
IMG_6580.JPG

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

Well after getting a lot of questions about the use of fenbendazol I figured I would write this up. This is for informational purposes and I will not be held liable for improper use. Fenbendazol must be used exactly as I instruct or run the risk of a tank crash.

Now lets get to it!

So you may ask, what is fenbendazol. Well it is a primary granular ingredient in Safegaurd 4. Here is a reference picture

large-dogs-3-x-4-gram-pouches-.jpg

I use the 4 gram packets.

1. Now don't go out and buy it just to dump the packet in the water, that would be bad!
When you open the packet you will notice the granules. This is what I separate from the powder. That is the fenbendazol. Once separated you have to crush it into a fine powder. Please wear your safety glasses.

Ok now you have this powder, what needs to be done next?

2. ALL snails, GSP's, zenias, Gorgonias, flower pots need to be put into QT. You need to observe them for any traveling hydroids for several days. This will not harm most all other corals. I have not tested with every coral or invert out there. Wish I could!

3. Next remove your carbon, slow your skimmer way down or better yet cut the air off. You need ALL equipment, pumps, powerheads, reactors, chillers RUNNING.

4. Mix up the powder in 3 cups of tank water and pour it in a high flow area slowly. The goal is to keep is suspended in the water as long as possible .

5. Wait 24 to 30 hours, you will see them all retracted. No more than 30 hours :)
Add fresh new carbon, don't be skimpy on this as the carbon will help pull these dead guys bad stuff out of the water. Get that skimmer fired back up.

6. Do a 25% water change after the 24-30 hours.

7. Do 10% water changes for the next 3 days after the initial 25% change.

This is the process that works the best. Hope I answered a lot of question.

-Todd
What do I do about my nassarius snails? I have no idea how many I even have. What about my peppermint shrimp? Hermit crabs?

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard

Also if I use it as a dip and reintroduce rock after soaking in clean water will it be safe for snails and gsp?

I know your question was for twilliard but I used as a dip on 1 stubborn rock that survived total tank treatment. I triple rinsed it and placed it back into the tank. All of my snails are alive and well. I don't have GSP so I can't help you there. There is always a risk, so proceed with caution.

Guppy Slayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Twilliard, I have been eyeing this thread quite a while now, just joined to be able to ask ur advice on my situation.

I have a 3yo 100gal mixed reef tank and have been battling with digitate hydroids for almost a year now.

i ordered the 250mg fish fenbendazole packets from amazon and decided to treat my tank as per the instructions.

I mixed the whole packet in a 600ml water bottle and dosed 2/3 after removing the carbon and cutting the air to the protein skimmer.
All hydroids looked ill not long later and seemed disappeared after 24hrs.
Did a 25% wc 30hrs after the dosing, added fresh carbon in the reactor and got the air connected back to the skimmer.

This morning, 48hrs since the dosing, the digitates started poking their head out again... but they still look weak.

Before I go ahead and do a second dose just wanted to get your opinion if you think this is normal.

I don't think I underdosed but maybe didn't mix the bottle too well? not sure.

Ps. i remember reading somewhere along the thread that this med works slowly so I might still have a chance to get rid of them (Trying to keep positive here :)

Thanks in advance!
What ever happened? Did you get rid of the hydroids?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back