Here it is! Fenbendazole use against hydroids

Gozzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reef and Dive
Your tank looks awesome mate

Did you dose according to the instructions? I'm going to dose at 50% strength I think.

Made up for you that they've gone, I've read how much work you put in

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure difference but you are saying it contains Flubendezole as according to thread title I used fenbendazole again not sure the same. I did have a long lasting impact on my tank but did get rid of digitate hydroids. After 2 years I do see a couple popping up. I could not put a gsp back in tank for over a year. They just died. Even today they don’t do well. Just an fyi

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just adding my latest observation, I had digitate hydroids 2 years ago and treated with fenbendezole and it did kill them ( at least I thought). I went 2 years without seeing much if any. However, it did mess up my tank where I even struggled to keep certain corals healthy. Gsp still has not grown well ( after adding back to tank 6 months after treatment) It’s alive but not extending or coloring. So just this past 2 weeks I have an explosion again. And I contribute it to adding reef Roids. I never feed my corals in last 2 years and decided to start again. Boy am I sorry I did. Ironically I also fed the Roids in a frag tank and bang many in there! Feeding definitely triggers their growth. I am not going to treat with the fenbendezole since it took a toll on my tanks health. And will try just to starve them but not hopeful maybe just learned to live with them. Also I did read some have had problems with younger tanks. This was my experience as well when I first had them they where on everything my sand even looked fuzzy from the millions growing on the sand

Gozzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not having much luck either.......

I have a small container (5litres of saltwater in) where i put some rock\dead coral in which was covered in Hydroids.

My main tank has 150 litre water volume.

I removed the carbon, turned off skimmer, removed small frags I had and 3 snails.

Treatment 1:

I started off dosing Cloverleaf+ https://plymouthdiscus.com/ocretail/pd/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=140?route=product/product&product_id=140

The recommended dosage on the pack is 1g or 1ml treats 454 Litres of saltwater. The main ingredient is Flubendezole
so I dosed my main tank (150 litres) with 0.5g of Cloverleaf+ which is a dosage for 227 litres.

I dosed my small QT tank (5 litres) with 1g so this is a massively overdosed treatment.

I did see a large reduction in the QT but nothing major in the main tank :-(​

Treatment 2:

I ordered some Panacur granules and each 1.8g packet contains 339mg Fenbendazole.

https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/panacur-catdog-powder-18g/productinfo/PANG18/SINGLE?gclid=Cj0KCQiA0p2QBhDvARIsAACSOOMFaK9c4pA-K6Ipeam1lZjwrcYC8AcbEo5uRKaWPoLIxID1I5uScFIaAlY9EALw_wcB

Added 0.5g Panacur to tank which is roughly 85mg Fenbendazole.
Recommended dosage from this forum is 0.5mg/l. Tank is roughly 150 litres due to rock so 75mg would be correct.

Overdosed QT with 1.3g panacur which is roughly 230mg in a 5 litre tank. This works out as 46mg/l so again massively overdosed.

Got pi55ed off and added 1.8g Panacur (339mg Fenbendazole) to main tank which works out as 2.6mg/l.​

Conclusion(ish)

The Fenbendazole seems to have had an ever lesser effect on the Hydroids than the Flubenbazole leaving me wondering if they are actually hydroids.

Decided to treat the QT with DinoX (massively overdosed) just in case it was Dino's but if anything these Hydroids enjoyed it as shown be the attached short video.

This is a close up of one of the rocks in my main tank where Hydroids are still fine.

20220212_19_11_31.png

Its so annoying, to the naked eye it looks like the tank is fine with a healthy amount of coraline and green algae but under the microscope these little ***** are silently eating away.

20220212_191801.png

Due to the amount of excess dosing in my QT I don't think either of these products have worked for me and I'm at a loss to my next steps.

Can anyone check out the pictures I've posted and recommend which kind of Hydro's I have please?

@moz71 I've noticed exactly the same with reefroids. Before I realised these were Hydro's I used to feed the corals with it to try and give them a boost and as you say the Hydro's love it! Starving them out and careful feeding is the only thing I've got left to try.

PS All the above has been done over the last 10 days and I've now done a 20% water change and added carbon etc back in to let things settle.

MichaelAnn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only inactive ingredients listed on Thomas Labs is Dextrose and Maltodextrin
You can buy fenbendazole at most farm supply stores like Tractor Supply. It is a goat dewormer called Safegard. It is a liquid and easy to dose.

AquasKy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

Well after getting a lot of questions about the use of fenbendazol I figured I would write this up. This is for informational purposes and I will not be held liable for improper use. Fenbendazol must be used exactly as I instruct or run the risk of a tank crash.

Now lets get to it!

So you may ask, what is fenbendazol. Well it is a primary granular ingredient in Safegaurd 4. Here is a reference picture

large-dogs-3-x-4-gram-pouches-.jpg

I use the 4 gram packets.

1. Now don't go out and buy it just to dump the packet in the water, that would be bad!
When you open the packet you will notice the granules. This is what I separate from the powder. That is the fenbendazol. Once separated you have to crush it into a fine powder. Please wear your safety glasses.

Ok now you have this powder, what needs to be done next?

2. ALL snails, GSP's, zenias, Gorgonias, flower pots need to be put into QT. You need to observe them for any traveling hydroids for several days. This will not harm most all other corals. I have not tested with every coral or invert out there. Wish I could!

3. Next remove your carbon, slow your skimmer way down or better yet cut the air off. You need ALL equipment, pumps, powerheads, reactors, chillers RUNNING.

4. Mix up the powder in 3 cups of tank water and pour it in a high flow area slowly. The goal is to keep is suspended in the water as long as possible .

5. Wait 24 to 30 hours, you will see them all retracted. No more than 30 hours :)
Add fresh new carbon, don't be skimpy on this as the carbon will help pull these dead guys bad stuff out of the water. Get that skimmer fired back up.

6. Do a 25% water change after the 24-30 hours.

7. Do 10% water changes for the next 3 days after the initial 25% change.

This is the process that works the best. Hope I answered a lot of question.

-Todd
Could I share a pic and get and ID on if these are, in fact, hydroids I’m dealing with? I see how long ago this post was dated but it’s the most confident posting I’ve seen regarding hydroids.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I share a pic and get and ID on if these are, in fact, hydroids I’m dealing with? I see how long ago this post was dated but it’s the most confident posting I’ve seen regarding hydroids.
It’s always good to double check what you got before applying Febenzadol

AquasKy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• C2CE1E0A-A5ED-4311-829F-8286B776695E.jpeg
    C2CE1E0A-A5ED-4311-829F-8286B776695E.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 94

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever reason, they like this rock. My other rocks don’t really have any at all but this one is pretty badly covered.
I’m not to sure if that’s a hydroid, it’s very similar to a feather duster. Have you got a better close up?

AquasKy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not to sure if that’s a hydroid, it’s very similar to a feather duster. Have you got a better close up?
So difficult to get pics of the little things, hopefully these are a little better. I appreciate all of your help!

Attachments

• B255CEDD-AFE9-4CE0-91D7-D6055D685F43.jpeg
    B255CEDD-AFE9-4CE0-91D7-D6055D685F43.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 99
  • BC27C019-8EC8-4191-A1AD-3B78E9DFDF95.jpeg
    BC27C019-8EC8-4191-A1AD-3B78E9DFDF95.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 69
  • B462E9F6-989B-4585-B068-83F0BEB80538.jpeg
    B462E9F6-989B-4585-B068-83F0BEB80538.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 359A00CA-F96C-4686-8CF4-510AA0126CD0.jpeg
    359A00CA-F96C-4686-8CF4-510AA0126CD0.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 79

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So difficult to get pics of the little things, hopefully these are a little better. I appreciate all of your help!
On this pictures it does look like hydroids for sure, have you got any soft corals or gorgonians in the tank?

AquasKy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On this pictures it does look like hydroids for sure, have you got any soft corals or gorgonians in the tank?
I have mushroom corals, other than that, just a coral banded shrimp. I know I would have to move the coral and cbs to qt tank to treat with fenbendazole which is why I wanted to avoid having to use fenbendazole at all.

meganf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve got some hydroids in my coral QT. They are very small, but I’ve noticed them on some zoas and on some media. I have tried to remove them from the coral and rocks but I’ve not been successful. I think they are starting to affect the zoas because some of them haven’t opened in some time. I have snails, mushrooms, frogspawn, favia, blastomussa, Duncan, zoas, and berghia nudibranchs in this tank. Do y’all have any recommendations for getting rid of them?
36350599-6795-4E3C-93EA-0CFC94268D1C.jpeg

Daveouthere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve got some hydroids in my coral QT. They are very small, but I’ve noticed them on some zoas and on some media. I have tried to remove them from the coral and rocks but I’ve not been successful. I think they are starting to affect the zoas because some of them haven’t opened in some time. I have snails, mushrooms, frogspawn, favia, blastomussa, Duncan, zoas, and berghia nudibranchs in this tank. Do y’all have any recommendations for getting rid of them?
36350599-6795-4E3C-93EA-0CFC94268D1C.jpeg
I’m not an expert or anything and don’t want to give any false info but I had the same thing and I got rid of them with a hydrogen peroxide dip, I would look into it and try it. It was pretty easy to do and worked for me 100%

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long after dosing is it safer to add snails back to the system? Assuming there will be some water change (only can do 25%) and carbon running after dosing. I likely will do two separate doses to make sure.
Thank you!

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following up to get experiences on readding snails following treatment.

Also wondering if anyone knows of fenbendazole will kill sponge or not.

Thank you!

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read through the whole thread, this is amazing. Howvwer i cannot find "Fish Bendazole" only safeguard. Thomas labs is unavailable everywhere. Anyhelp?

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

Well after getting a lot of questions about the use of fenbendazol I figured I would write this up. This is for informational purposes and I will not be held liable for improper use. Fenbendazol must be used exactly as I instruct or run the risk of a tank crash.

Now lets get to it!

So you may ask, what is fenbendazol. Well it is a primary granular ingredient in Safegaurd 4. Here is a reference picture

large-dogs-3-x-4-gram-pouches-.jpg

I use the 4 gram packets.

1. Now don't go out and buy it just to dump the packet in the water, that would be bad!
When you open the packet you will notice the granules. This is what I separate from the powder. That is the fenbendazol. Once separated you have to crush it into a fine powder. Please wear your safety glasses.

Ok now you have this powder, what needs to be done next?

2. ALL snails, GSP's, zenias, Gorgonias, flower pots need to be put into QT. You need to observe them for any traveling hydroids for several days. This will not harm most all other corals. I have not tested with every coral or invert out there. Wish I could!

3. Next remove your carbon, slow your skimmer way down or better yet cut the air off. You need ALL equipment, pumps, powerheads, reactors, chillers RUNNING.

4. Mix up the powder in 3 cups of tank water and pour it in a high flow area slowly. The goal is to keep is suspended in the water as long as possible .

5. Wait 24 to 30 hours, you will see them all retracted. No more than 30 hours :)
Add fresh new carbon, don't be skimpy on this as the carbon will help pull these dead guys bad stuff out of the water. Get that skimmer fired back up.

6. Do a 25% water change after the 24-30 hours.

7. Do 10% water changes for the next 3 days after the initial 25% change.

This is the process that works the best. Hope I answered a lot of question.

-Todd
Is this still perferd accurate way to dose useing this exact safeguard4? I plan on starting the dose, i cannot find "fish" versions anywhere

solo9t9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm from the UK I have a red sea reefer 525xl, recently i have an infestation of what i belive to be brown star polyps. Will fenbendazole kill these buggers.if so what's the best product, I've seen pure fenbendazole, panacur granules (will this need separation as I've read on certain products mentioned on r2r), panacur oral suspension. As you can see from pic below it's killing my corals.my lights are off at the moment so difficult to find them open. Thanks for any advice.

20240121_113719.jpg
20231125_202629.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back